Skip navigation
somnixer
Currently Being Moderated

Was the Smudge Tool Changed?

Jun 12, 2012 8:44 AM

Tags: #bug #tool #smudge_problem

In Photoshop CS5 and under, the smudge tool at 100% Strength would drag pixels without smudging/blurring/mixing, creating this cool painting effect. Customizing the smudge tool with a bit of a textured brush shape and some scattering, with 100% smudging Strength would create this amazing painterly effect, but now in Photoshop CS6 the 100% strength does not work. In fact, it works much worse than 99%.

As you can see, at 99% strength, the smudge does less blurring, and more dragging, which is almost as close as Photoshop CS5's 100% smudging strength( it hardly ever blurred or mixed, 100% would only drag in CS5)

100% on CS6 does considerably worse dragging, and alot of blurring, and seems to only be a step above 90%, which blurs and mixes more.

smudge problem.jpg

I'm not sure if this is a bug, or if this was an intentional edit to the smudging tool. The smudging tool in the past was completely fine, and now I can't use my smudging tool presets because they do not create the same effects they did when I created them back in CS5.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 12, 2012 10:04 AM   in reply to somnixer

As far as I know the tool hasn't changed.  You might want to double check the tool options settings on both versions.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 13, 2013 6:40 PM   in reply to somnixer

Thank you for documenting this. It is a serious problem that continues to be ignored by Adobe.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points