Skip navigation
El Grapa
Currently Being Moderated

Premiere pro CS6 Snow Leopard vs Lion

Jun 12, 2012 2:31 PM

Hi.

I've been holding the update to Lion for some time now. However, with Apple bold move of requiring 10.7.4 to run aperture 3.3 I'm reconsidering the update.

So, all in all, my question is, does Premiere Pro and After Effects perform better under Lion or Snow Leopard? I'm using them in a Mac Pro octo 2010 with nVidia Quadro 4000.

Tanks in advance.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 12, 2012 2:39 PM   in reply to El Grapa

My suggestion is that you find a separate HDD and install Lion and do the test.

I'm having problems with Lion that I am not having with Snow Leopard.  There is a complete thread about this (search for "Mac Serious Error") and we've yet to find the root cause.   It 'could' be related to the Nvidia Drives / Cuda Drivers but at this point I'm not sure.   I do know that I'm seeing the problem with the GTX285 card with Lion (and not with SL).  Every so often Pr will popup a dialog and tell you a serious error has occured and that's the end of it.

Shame.  I really need to upgrade to Lion and Pr is the ONLY thing holding me back at SL.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 13, 2012 8:08 PM   in reply to El Grapa

Is your Mac that 32-bit or 64-bit capable? I believe if you are running OS X Lion, then your system is most likely 32-bit capable, but not necessarily 64-bit capable. 

For Mac OX OS users, I believe Adobe is offi­cially not supporting Mac­in­tosh sys­tems anymore that are NOT 64-bit capa­ble according to this article: http://eduardoangel.com/2012/04/19/adobe-cs6-creativesuite/.  So be careful and listen to Exactimage.

So the answer to your question is it will run better on OS X Mountain Lion lol

In theory it should run fine on either Lion or Snow Leopord OS.

Hope this helps you =)

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 14, 2012 12:28 AM   in reply to macuser88

A 2010 8 core Mac Pro is 64bit - no worries there

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 15, 2012 7:26 AM   in reply to El Grapa

does Premiere Pro and After Effects perform better under Lion or Snow Leopard?

I doubt many people here have enough experience with both to make an informed answer to this, except for the dual boot crowd.  I'm in that crowd, and haven't noticed any differences between the two OSs as far as CS6 is concerned, except that I can't get external monitoring with SL due to the driver that supports it.  I'm not having performance or stability issues with either.  But, as ExactImage has pointed out, I'm not representative of the whole, and I have read about plug-in issues with Ae on Lion that didn't exist in SL.

Overall, I detest Lion, and wish I wasn't forced into using it.  The one thing I do like about is is restoring a complete session after a reboot.  Other than that, I was perfectly fine with SL.  It was stable, mature and dependable.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points