Skip navigation
jcortez@switchlv.com
Currently Being Moderated

Using the Wacom tablet on CS6

Jun 13, 2012 11:56 AM

Tags: #ps6_wacom_pen_tool_pressure

I am on the creative cloud and have down loaded and successfully installed PS6.  I am a professional illustrator and use the Wacom tablet.  My concern is with the pen pressure effect not staying on.  I have went to help option on PS6 and checked for updates and down loaded them with no results and called support as well please help. I went to the Wacom sit as well to check to if my drivers are updated and they are, and called their support as well with no results.  I understand that PS6 is a new product and that I may have to wait for patches, that is fine.  If there are any other options please advise.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 13, 2012 1:09 PM   in reply to jcortez@switchlv.com

Hello,

Are you talking about that the pen pressure is interrupted randomly while you are illustrating? Or that you could not get to be detected at all? I work with a Wacom tablet as well on Photoshop CS6. From experience I find that I need to plug in or connect my tablet wirelessly to my computer prior to starting up the Photoshop software or else pen pressure will not be detected.

-Sharon

|
    Mark as:
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,905 posts
    May 24, 2010
    Jun 13, 2012 2:31 PM   in reply to jcortez@switchlv.com

Intuos4 with latest driver on Windows7 64 bit, and have not any problems with pen pressure.  There are bound to mac users here with various Wacom tablets, so any of you guys have problems?

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,488 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jun 13, 2012 4:21 PM   in reply to jcortez@switchlv.com

I don't have a tablet, but people on this forum have reported success after just uninstalling and reinstalling the tablet drivers.  If you run out of direct approaches, that could be worth trying.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 21, 2012 11:57 AM   in reply to jcortez@switchlv.com

Actually I am having similar issues with Photoshop CS6 extended and the Wacom Intuos2 tablet, that is, there's a variable that CS6 will not work...in my case, it's tilt and rotation.  I can get pressure sensitivity to work, but Photoshop CS6 doesn't respond to tilt or rotation.  (This is frustrating as I have a painting project coming up in a Photoshop class and I can't get the brush to work right...).  Pressure response is fine for me, but the computer will not register the tilt of the pen.  When I try it in a different program on my computer (Corel Painter 12), the mouse icon and pen strokes all show that the program is receiving and processing pen tilt, rotation, orientation (pen tip vs. eraser) and pressure.  When I try my tablet on Photoshop CS5 on the Mac in my classroom, Photoshop CS5 also responds to pen tilt, rotation, orientation, and pressure.

I have thus far completely deleted the Wacom drivers and reinstalled them with the latest driver version.  This has had no effect.  From all I can tell, the tablet seems to be working, but CS6 extended isn't reading.  What am I missing here?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 23, 2012 4:49 PM   in reply to KanesMind

After three back-and-forth sessions with Adobe, I think I stumbled on to the solution by accident.  It seems that Adobe Photoshop CS6 extended does NOT like it when you custom-map your tablet area to your screen.  I had my tablet area constrained to match the proportions on my screen, and for some reason that prevents photoshop from reading tilt information.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 23, 2012 5:04 PM   in reply to KanesMind

Photoshop doesn't even know about the custom mapping - that's all done in the driver software.

And Photoshop gets tilt, rotation, etc. all from the tablet driver.  If Photoshop doesn't see those values, it's generally because the driver isn't telling Photoshop about them.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points