Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

subscriptions in google play?

Jun 13, 2012 12:08 PM

Hi - Much to my dismay I have just found that the DPS viewer does not support subscriptions in google play. Does anyone know a workaround to this? Can I engineer something from the google end of things?

Replies
  • Bob Bringhurst
    4,643 posts
    May 29, 2007
    Jun 13, 2012 12:15 PM   in reply to gardnermag

Google just recently added subscriptions as a new feature. DPS does not yet support it. I don't know when Google Play subscriptions will be supported in DPS apps.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 13, 2012 12:22 PM   in reply to Bob Bringhurst

Yes, but isn't it true that Google enables these products for subscriptions independently of Adobe?  Meaning, can't we set up the subscription process on our own via our Google developer account , independently of DPS?

|
    Mark as:
  • Bob Bringhurst
    4,643 posts
    May 29, 2007
    Jun 13, 2012 1:25 PM   in reply to jzporath

Yes, but Adobe needs to include the code in the .apk file that takes advantage of Google Play subscriptions.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 13, 2012 1:38 PM   in reply to Bob Bringhurst

So then the answer is a definitive no, even if we tried to set it up through Google. Correct?  I would appreciate a review of Adobe's positioning copy on all of their product descriptions to include the caveats about what works with what.  For example, here is copy from the Overview of digital publishing workflow page ( http://help.adobe.com/en_US/digitalpubsuite/using/WS67cb9e293e2f1f60-2 1ba9a4512e5e5e0b8d-7fff.html):

"Use the Viewer Builder to create a custom viewer app that you can submit to the Apple Store, Android Market, or Amazon Appworld. If you obtain a Single Edition license, you can create a single-issue app. If you have a DPS subscription, you can enable subscriptions, push notifications, and Omniture analytics."

Adobe fails to mention or even footnote any feature limitations across platforms.  That has caused us tremendous pain and back peddling with our clients.  Unless we dig deeper or search the user forums, none of these inconsistencies are accurately spelled out.  My request is that, at the very least, Adobe's positioning copy includes footnotes to better inform their customers.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 14, 2012 7:15 AM   in reply to jzporath

I second that.

I understand how difficult it is to cross-reference all these things so that they can be updated in a timely manner in a fast-changing environment, andthat's why we use Adobe FrameMaker at the office to generate & maintain our on-line documentation... (though not via RoboHelp!)

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 26, 2012 7:14 AM   in reply to Timothy Heck

can I third that? :-)

A.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status