Skip navigation
Stukaveli
Currently Being Moderated

CS6 Autosave Help Needed!

Jun 13, 2012 5:32 PM

Tags: #autosave

Hello I have a quick question about the new photoshop... when using the autosave feature or having it enabled. When I work alot of times I have a main file that I use as a template to create other pages from. So I will open template and update things on it and then save as and name that as a new file. My question is if I open this template file and make a few changes will it autosave those which will basically overwrite my template. I have the autosave feature turned off right now because I wasn't sure if it would do that.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 13, 2012 5:37 PM   in reply to Stukaveli

Autosave does not overwrite the original file.  It writes to a temp file (in appdate/roaming I believe) so if program crashes you have something to restore from.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 13, 2012 5:53 PM   in reply to Stukaveli

Check out this link and maybe it will explain it better.  http://www.photoshopessentials.com/basics/cs6/new-features/background- auto-save/

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 13, 2012 5:53 PM   in reply to Stukaveli

No, it is an auto recovery feature, not "auto save over what I was working on".

Again, it does not overwrite your original file.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2012 6:38 PM   in reply to Chris Cox

good to know...because I just apparently lost 5 hours of work by using a file as a template, only to find my original was overwritten. I am using Windows 7. Which directory can I access to recover my original file?

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,514 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 25, 2012 7:01 PM   in reply to chairmoistener

The auto-saved file just opens up automatically after a crash.

For some reason the Adobe engineers don't use the recycle bin so there aren't backups available.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2012 7:06 PM   in reply to chairmoistener

The autorecovery will generate a file in case of a system crash.  It should be in your scratch file directory, but only if you crashed.

The background save will save in the backgound but you have to start a save in the File/save or save as.  It does not automatically save a file.

I am sure you do not need a lecture, but everyone learns that saving work as you go in a different name is the only safe avenue.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points