Skip navigation
jessyel
Currently Being Moderated

Lightroom 4 Making Computer Freeze

Jun 13, 2012 7:51 PM

I upgraded to Lightroom 4 from version 3. Updated my catalog, and I've never been able to fully open Lightroom since this - my computer freezes whenever Lightroom is opened.  I've had this computer for two years and have never had a problem with it, and never had an issue with Lightroom 3; this freeze-kill only happens with Lightroom 4.

I then updated to 4.1, and still having this issue.  I can't generate a crash report because it's a freeze, and I couldn't optimize my catalog since the computer froze immediately after opening.  So I decided to start from scratch and deleted all my preferences, previews, the catalog itself, etc. - starting fresh - and I was able to actually maneuver around the program until I tried to import (was able to select files, but right as and import completed, the computer froze again; it happens no matter the type of number of files being imported).  It's still doing it.  I'm getting really frustrated.

I'm on an iMac, Lion (10.7.4), 2.66 GHz Intel Core i5, 16 GB 1067MHz DDR3 RAM, ATI Radeon HD 4850 512 MB card.  I've tried searching for support on this, and can't find anyone else having this problem, but wondering if anyone has heard of this.  Any help would be great.  Thanks!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 14, 2012 6:48 PM   in reply to jessyel

Where are the catlog and image files located?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 14, 2012 7:35 PM   in reply to jessyel

Great, progress! I know of no way to get what you want though.

|
    Mark as:
  • Victoria Bampton
    5,302 posts
    Apr 1, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 15, 2012 12:20 AM   in reply to jessyel

You can't ignore file extensions, but if you look at the bottom of the Import dialog, there's a sort order pop-up at the bottom which will separate the videos from the photos.  That might make it a bit easier to separate.

And if it's definitely those files, the engineers might want to take a look.  You can drop one of the problem files on my server (www.vbftp.net, username webupload, password 123) if that works for you.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 15, 2012 12:07 PM   in reply to jessyel

I am getting to the boiling point with Lightroom 4.1 and its 'not responding' mode every time i attempt to import in the library modual.  Sometimes its right off the bat, other times I might make it all the way to clicking on C:// before the greyed out screen appears!! Now there are a few golden moments where I have been actually able to import the files I need to work with, but they are becoming less frequent. I used LR3 for quite some time with work and didn't experience any of this, so I am fairly familiar with the functionalities of LR. When I do get to import, I notice that many sources come up that are either irrelevant or external drives. It seems that Lightroom goes on some kind of a spree in search of anything visual, anywhere on my system and connected peripherals, thus wasting much time and eventually going to that 'not responding' mode.

Sometimes I am given a choice to wait or close the program, sometimes it closes itself. Whatever it is, its driving me CRAZY. I am in the midst of a project right now and can't sit around and wait to see if its going to be a good LR day or not. Instead of LR looking for ANY potential source on the system, wouldn't it be better if I (the owner) could DIRECT LIGHTROOM WHERE TO LOOK, not LR spinning its wheels everywhere but where I need it????  Anyone know if i can I turn off areas where LR is looking? Like my Droid? External backup drives, etc?

I love Lightroom's features, but its becoming more difficult to use due to the 'not responding' enigma.....HELP!

I am using Lightroom 4.1 on a Windows 7 Pro PC

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points