Skip navigation
rmo348
Currently Being Moderated

Not a valid MPEG error, I know for a fact it is having burned a separate disc with same exact codec

Jun 14, 2012 2:19 AM

Tags: #error #not #export #encore #dvd #disc #mpeg #build #cs5.5.1 #valid

I'm trying to burn a musical to a DVD and I'm running into this not a valid mpeg problem. I've tried searching but no one seems to be providing any helpful information.

There are two small 10ish minute vidoes and two 1hr30min shows on the disc, which is a DVD+DL 8.5Gb. Trying out the failed DVD in VLC I can successfully navigate the main motion menu as well as the bonus menu with all links and transitions working fine on all menus and the two small bonus videos, which both play all the way through just fine. When I try to play either of the main shows VLC crashes. I'm assuming this means that one of the show files is the problem (why encore doesn't tell you which file isn't valid I have no idea).

Noticing that I had moved the location of one of the long shows and the xmp file with it I thought it could be an indexing problem as some have pointed out. I deleted the two show timelines from my encore project, re-imported the m2v/ac3 files, made new timelines from them and then relinked to the main menu again. This theoretically resets the indexing, correct? Still won't burn.

I know it isnt a codec issue as MediaInfo tells me it the m2v file is MPEG-II 29.97 720x480(16:9). I used the exact same codec for the last musical DVD I had to burn and that worked fine.

I know it isn't a space issue as I'm using 7.15 Gb with 1.39 Gb to spare.

I edited using AVID MC and converted my high quality exports to mpeg using ffmpegX. This same process worked totally fine for the last musical I had to burn to DVD and I can not for the life of me figure out what the hell is going on.

Also I tried exporting to an iso file to just burn that to a disc with Toast, but Encore just freezes up about a third of the way through when I try to do this.

Does anybody actually know what this error really means? Do I need to re-encode the video files? I've informed my client that I finished the DVD already (which I have, I just can't burn it) so I need to be able to actually deliver it on a disc ASAP.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 14, 2012 4:06 AM   in reply to rmo348

This theoretically resets the indexing, correct?

If you don't rename the asset, this may not reset it.

I would agree with almost all your troubleshooting reasoning, but just a reminder that having done somethign in the past does not mean that something has not changed in your setup. Avid to ffmpegX to Encore is not a simple workflow.

When are you getting the error? Encore just continues with the build?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 14, 2012 10:24 AM   in reply to rmo348

I presume you know about the "trick" required to do a dual layer DVD...

Run as Administrator http://forums.adobe.com/thread/969395

Also,

Create an ISO (Encore) or folder on your hard drive (Encore or Premiere Elements) and then use the FREE http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download to write files or folders or ISO to disc for DVD or BluRay (send the author a PayPal donation if you like his program)

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 14, 2012 12:06 PM   in reply to rmo348

>using a Mac

Oh... you did not say that at the start... http://forums.adobe.com/message/4200840

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 19, 2013 12:50 PM   in reply to John T Smith

Hi Guys,

I've been using Encore for a few years, using AME to transcode all my Premiere Pro timelines and suddenly I've had a week of transcoding problems with Encore (CS5.1) saying everything from, I'm using the wrong aspect ratio to not a valid mpeg file. It was something different each time I fixed the previous problem (without it being a problem in the first place).

After reading all your helpful tips throughout the different forums and trying your suggestions, I have solved my problem. Thought I would post this to hopefully help some of you.

I simply let Encore transcode my timeline from Premiere Pro and my motion menus from After Effects (all assets in other words) making sure all are set to automatic. You can imagine how surprised I was when the disc popped out with the 100% complete message.

Thanks for all your posts, hope this can help others.

Wayne Le Compte.

Loud Films.

Loud Graphic Design.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points