Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Feature Request (again); Adobe Bridge Cache Manager

Jun 15, 2012 10:10 AM

In Adobe Bridge, the Cache is still a problem and a huge memory hog. I asked for a good Cache Manager over 3 years ago when it was needed CS4.

Now in CS6, I am disappointed that the cache system in Bridge has not changed. Why do you have a section in the Adobe Forums that asks for 'Feature Request' and then ignore them?

http://forums.adobe.com/message/2652688#2652688

"I would personally like a tool within Bridge that allows me to manage and control the Cache in a more personal and effective way. I would like a toggle that would keep '100% previews' in one folder for a selected period of time (1 day to 1 month) before the folder's cache is automatically purged. And another toggle that would give me the option to keep a selected folder's cache permanently intact (such as an Important Portfolio Folder or an Edited Images Folder).

As a photographer, I take and edit a lot of photos. When I import a photoshoot with 1,500 photos (not uncommom at all) I enjoy having the Bridge Previews at 100%, but for only a limited time. Unfortunately, I forget to purge the individual cache of that folder and the cache builds to a point that makes Adobe Bridge CS4 very slow. I then have to Purge the whole Bridge Cache in order to make Bridge run smooth again.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 15, 2012 5:30 PM   in reply to AdobeUser-1991

For Adobe to implement feature requests they have to have a lot of users requesting the same thing.  There is a feature request poll that one can start to add to but do not know address.

I think your best bet, and a whole lot faster, would be to contact the people on the Bridge Scripting forum and see it there is a script that will do it, or if someone will write one.

Have never done any scripting but seems like your request would be quite simple to implelment.

If you get a script that works post back here as others might be interested also.

http://forums.adobe.com/community/bridge/bridge_scripting

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 16, 2012 1:39 AM   in reply to AdobeUser-1991

The feature requests forum is now obsolete, and the preferred method for requesting features is the feedback system at http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family.

This forum always was just a user-to-user forum, and 99.9% of the time you are just talking to other users, often just as frustrated as you are about the lack of progress on Bridge over several versions. Occasionally, you get an Adobe employee in here, but usually they disappear just as quickly as they appeared, and things aren't usually followed up satisfactorily.

As Curt says, if you do make a reasonable feature request, nothing will happen unless this is backed up by a significant number of users. Unfortunately, Bridge isn't a priority for Adobe, neither is it used extensively by CS users. I know plently of people who maybe only fired it up a few times.

It's not all doom and gloom though. We just got a 64 bit version in CS6, and the metadata error has finally gone (although you have to effectively pay for the fix). I'm still looking for better full-screen previews, and a fix to the recaching problem, but it looks like I'll have to wait for CS7 for that! :-D

Edit: and I just checked - they fixed the Folders pane right-click bug in CS6 too.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 16, 2012 9:17 AM   in reply to AdobeUser-1991

gumbogood wrote:

A Cache Manager tool that lets me either schedule a cache cleaning on a folder, or keep it permanent, would be a huge help. And I don't think that it is unreasonable for me to ask this of Adobe.

If you submit a feedback poll where Yammer pointed you, and it gets a couple of hundred (thousand?) users agree you might get Adobe's attention.

I agree with Yammer that Bridge is a low priority project with Adobe.  Think their target audience is the casual user with a few hundred photos added each year.   Your use pattern is more specialized and you either have to adapt with scripts or move to another product IMO.

The size of cache takes a lot of people by surprise.  It can grow humongous if you use HQ thumbs and save 100% previews.  One can dump the cache in preferences, but many are reluctant to to this as they think it will delete all their keywords and edits.  In addition, to do a search you have to re-index all your files, which can take a long time.

If you have "export cache to folders" checked, dumping the cache in preferences only dumps the central cache.  To dump the folder cache you have to visit each folder and click on Tools/cache/purge cache for xxx folder.  Again, most people do not recognize this.  This technique purges both the central and folder cache for this folder only.

It the 100% previews are the problem for you it would seem like a simple task for the script people to write one that would delete it after xx days as the 100% previews are held in a specific folder.

Bridge is not a good digital asset manager.  You are probably in that arena dealing with several hundred thousand images.  Omke uses a DAM as it does some functions better than Bridge, but Bridge is still his main program.  Can't remember the name, but if you read these posts you might have seen it.

|
    Mark as:
  • Pierre Courtejoie
    7,043 posts
    Jan 11, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 10, 2012 1:20 AM   in reply to AdobeUser-1991

Hello!

could you post a link to your feature request thread, if you created one on the Feedback site?

It might get more coverage that way.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2012 10:32 AM   in reply to AdobeUser-1991

gumbogood,

I have read and re-read your request and I am at a loss to see how the common user would benefit from this, or even how they would implelment it. 

Currently the 100% cache is in one folder.  To acomplish what you want Bridge would have to have multiple cache folders for 100% previews with a time period for each folder. 

Not a programer, but seems like for your use a script, with an embedded time stamp,  would work a lot better.  THe script forum people could probably help you out.  I would go there and see if it is possible.

What you would need is a code for your images to represent the days you want the cache to be on your drive.  For example image0023410_27.jpeg could represent and image where the cache is deleted for that image after 27 days. 

Or, you could just have the cache purged for a speciific folder so the folder would get a name Ann Wedding_27.  Probably the easiest way is to delete the entire cache for folder.  Perhaps the script can even reindex it. 

Or another route is to make the folder 9-14_Ann Wedding.  You would then  keep a watch on dates so on 9-14  go to Tools/cache/purge cache for 9-14_Ann Wedding.  You would then have to re-index so it would be included in any search.  I listed the date first so it would be sorted by date rather than Ann and therefore easier to manage folders for this purpose.

You can continue your fight for what you want, but even if Adobe thought it was a great idea it would take at least several years to code and put into new version, tested, and released.  About the only code changes they make in current versions are bug fixes.  Best to figure this will be a long process and find an alternative in the meantime.  At least that is my opinion.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2012 12:18 PM   in reply to AdobeUser-1991

You might look into SS drives.  They are extremely fast and some of the previous problems have been worked out.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2012 1:23 PM   in reply to AdobeUser-1991

gumbogood wrote:

Hey Curt, I appreciate your helpfulness.

All I want is an acknowledgment from Adobe. Anything…

Well, you're not very likely to get that here.

Cache management has always been the Achilles heel of this Bridge application.  Add to that the fact that Bridge is practically Abandonware as far as Adobe is concerned, and it's clear that Bridge does not remotely get the resources from Adobe that it would need to mature into a more useful application.  That is just reality.

Far from being perceived as a money maker, Bridge is nothing more than a glorified file browser, which it actually was in its first iterations, when it was nothing more and nothing less than Photoshop's File Browser.  With the advent of Lightroom, Adobe has even less incentive to shift programming and financial resources to Bridge.

If you need a capable, robust DAM (Digital Asset Manager), look elsewhere.

It would be a dream come true if Adobe were to change its direction in Bridge, but I'm afraid that for the foreseeable feature we can look forward to nothing more than venting our frustration here, and Adobe couldn't care less.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points