Skip navigation

InDesign CS5 Crashes with Warning Dialog Box

Jun 15, 2012 3:36 PM

Latest reply: richardkeenanco, Aug 30, 2012 7:48 PM
Replies 1 2 3 4 ... 6 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 27, 2012 6:32 AM   in reply to izmalakoff

Thanks, but what exactly do you mean by holding the ALT key? When I clear the text frame holding down the ALT key, the result is exactly the same --> CRASH

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2012 6:36 AM   in reply to Max Zografos

I read on another forum of developers that if you hold down the option (Alt) key it prevents the crash. I have tested it on the following commands:

1. Deleting a page - I select the page in the palette. Hold the alt key and then hit tthe trash can. Page will delete and no crash.

2. Packaging a file - I select package a file in the menu. Select Linked graphics, but DO NOT select to collect fonts. Then before I hit ok. I hold down the Alt key, and it works.

3. The work around does not work for exporting PDFs. I have to go use my old laptop to export those.

It is a total pain and unacceptable, but it does work around some of the issues.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2012 6:49 AM   in reply to izmalakoff

When you say "alt" key, do you mean the "option" key?  Or, are you saying that you have to press fn + alt/option?  Please adivse. 

Let me add I've been tweeting at the adobe_care people all week with this issue.  They only replied to me after I started complaining to my followers about not getting a reply.  They said they were "looking into it". 

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2012 6:55 AM   in reply to muthafusco

Just hold down the OPTION key.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2012 11:46 AM   in reply to izmalakoff

That doesn't work when making a PDF that isn't high rez.  If I make a PDF that is screen rez, it crashes when the warning dialog appears.

ADOBE PLEASE FIX THIS ASAP.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2012 1:42 PM   in reply to arminvit

Exactly the same issue with CS4.

New MacBook Pro (June 2012 but not the retina version), OSX 10.7.4 and I'm using CS4 (behind the times, I know!)

Briefly flashes the warning box but with no details, then force quits.

Happens when exporting to the "Smallest File Size" PDF profile and when deleting a page (but thanks to izmalakoff for that alt-click workaround)

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2012 2:38 PM   in reply to arminvit

We are investigating this issue, right now we're attempting to duplicate it in our labs.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2012 3:09 PM   in reply to Scott Worthington

Exact same problems with the new Retina MBP and Adobe Illustrator CS5.5 when Exporing to Adobe PDF (Interactive)

It seems to work with Adobe PDF (Print) BUT the PDF Interactive crashes every single time.

I tried a new file with only text and one graphic image and again, system crashes!!!

Please HELP!!!

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2012 3:26 PM   in reply to Scott Worthington

try exporting a blank page with a line of overset text as a smallest file size pdf and when the typical warning box comes up (which is blank and missing the button too), it just crashes ...

Screen Shot 2012-06-27 at 8.48.14 AM.png

same version of Lion 10.7.4 and CS5 was fine on my 2010 quad 2.93 i7 imac and July 2011 Air .... is this an issue with new line of macbook pro's ? ie. video driver and/or system fonts..??

only other program I installed so far on my new macbook pro was Office home 2011...no other fonts yet installed either..AppleCare cant help..

Thanks for your time in looking into this, I know a lot of us depend on InDesign for daily survival and this is a serious matter.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 28, 2012 8:53 AM   in reply to Marko272

Same problem here with indesign CS5. Thought CS6 would not have the problem but apparently same there, ****, just ordered it. Adobe please help quick, this is a disaster for us pro's.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 28, 2012 8:56 AM   in reply to pure&simple

Suggestion for a possible quick temporary fix, an option to disable all warnings. Maybe that will at least help us all to keep on working for now untill a more solid solution is found. Idea?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 28, 2012 9:26 AM   in reply to arminvit

Same thing is happening with InCopy- crashes with same symptoms.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 28, 2012 11:32 AM   in reply to arminvit

After 2 days straight, I FIGURED IT OUT!!!! I was trying everything, especially related to font book and fonts and resetting prefs, etc...

I narrowed it down to 1 constant variable: it's happening on the 2012 macbook's, so I reset my mac and held command + R and re-installed Lion, then I DID NOT INSTALL THE UPDATE FOR THE MACBOOK 2012. Then I tried exporting a smallest file size pdf with overset text and also tried deleting a page with an object on it and BAM! No blank warning dialog and even more importantly: NO MORE CRASHES!!! Hey, I might not lose all my clients afterall!

got the good ol' warning box we all love and missed:

Screen Shot 2012-06-28 at 1.14.52 PM.png

Again:

- power off mac and turn back on while holding down Command + R (dont do it on an external keyboard just to be safe)

- choose the re-install Lion option (I'm sure there is another way to re-install Lion, this is just the way I did it, not saying its the best or only method)

- DO NOT INSTALL MACBOOK (Mid 2012) Software Update 1.0 - THIS SCREWS ADOBE UP!

Screen Shot 2012-06-28 at 1.24.15 PM.png

After you guys try this please let us know how your system is operating, I am noticing my macbook pro is so slow and when trying to send an email and choosing an email to reply to and attach something,etc.. each click triggers the beachball and I gotta wait a few moments..?? I'm sure we might be missing out on some good updates from not updating to the 1.0 software update....but....

So my final question is:

is this Apple's problem or Adobe's and who needs to do what here??? Why can't we all get along...

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 28, 2012 1:28 PM   in reply to Marko272

Thanks for sharing, Marko. Glad to hear that fixed it for you.

The InDesign team will be testing this out to see what may be going on there, so we can work with Apple to determine how best to fix it.

Has anyone else been able to confirm if they have installed the same update, or if re-installing Lion and skipping that update allows you to avoid the blank dialog and crashing?

I know the procedure he mentions does not sound very fun, but it shouldn't be too time-consuming.

Also, Marko (and others): That update includes some changes to the graphics system. If you have this update installed, but you disable the "automatic graphics switching" setting in system preferences, do you still get the crashing?

(Instructions here: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4110)

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 28, 2012 1:41 PM   in reply to Carey Burgess

Hi

Doing the re-install the way I did doesnt even delete all your files and apps, keeps everything in tact and you dont have to re-install all your programs, even had same desktop files, etc..which I did not know Took maybe an hour and a half...not bad...I would have waited 5 if it fixed it!

I did have the update installed and turned off auto graphic switching and still had crashes...didnt help at all..

Also with the update installed,  I had to turn OFF font preview in Photoshop in order to get it to be stable for me..

thanks for continuing to look into this and hopefully Apple puts out a DIFFERENT update for the graphics as its clearly not a good update

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 30, 2012 9:11 PM   in reply to Carey Burgess

Marco272 is right, reinstalled lion (appearantly 10.7.3) but without the macbook pro mid 2012 (10.7.4) update and all works normally in indesign. Brilliant, that's the quick fix. Unfortunately Iphoto doesn't work any more. Please Adobe staff and apple, work this out and make it work properly. @marco, thank you on behalve of my clients and me.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 30, 2012 7:46 AM   in reply to Marko272

Hi Marko,

this is not the solution for everyone. i also re installed lion (osx 10.7.4). didnt install the mid 2012 update and the bug is still there!

id crashes all the time (versions i tested: 5.0, 5.5 and 6) every version crashes.

the only stable release is 3.0 with osx 10.7.4

dont have the 4.0 for testing ...

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 30, 2012 9:08 AM   in reply to Berny123Ste

Berny, Just wondering, how did you install 10.7.4 on a mid 2012 powerbook pro? Mine is not accepting it. Running 10.7.3 now after the reinstall tip and all works just fine.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 30, 2012 9:25 AM   in reply to pure&simple

hi pure&simple,

im using a new macbook pro with retina. and mac osx 10.7.4 . apple is also offering the mid 2012 software update 1.0.

apple told me that there is no possibility to downgrade to 10.7.3 with the new mac books cause 10.7.3 doesnt support the new intel ivy chip...

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 30, 2012 9:47 AM   in reply to Berny123Ste

Hi Berny, I'm running a macbook pro 13" mid 2012 on 10.7.3 which is not possible? Interesting, glad mine does with the Yve Bridge processor so I can still make a living.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 30, 2012 11:34 AM   in reply to pure&simple

how did you install 10.7.3? with the method mentioned (cmd+r on boot) i can only install the 10.7.4 and also the apple support told me that there is no possibilty to install 10.7.3 ... *confused*

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 30, 2012 12:26 PM   in reply to Berny123Ste

I understand your confusion Berny. The only thing I can think of right now is that the retina doesn't work with 10.7.3. I used the same install method and got 10.7.3 installed. The more reason for Apple and Adobe to find a solution (very) soon. Something is going terribly wrong here.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 1, 2012 8:00 PM   in reply to Berny123Ste

Hi

When I re-installed Lion using cmnd+r, it set me up with 10.7.3...I think when you install that software update 1.0 for macbook pro, it THEN updates to 10.7.4?...I am running new Macbook pro 15" mid 2012 (non retina). So not sure why Apple said its not possible, cuz here is screen shot of what IS possible

Screen Shot 2012-07-01 at 9.54.37 PM.png

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 1, 2012 9:46 PM   in reply to Marko272

Hi Marko

Thank you for your reply. There seems to be a difference between mb pro and mb pro Retina.

If you reinstall Lion on mb pro Retina (cmd+r) you can only Install osx 10.7.4

So my conclusion is: its Not the Mid Summer update(you also get the Update in 10.7.4 via recommended Updates). It is the osx 10.7.4 which cause the problems!!!

@adobe: pls fix this Bug. Our customer List is getting longer & longer with everyday!

And we cant work! We bought a Lot of New mb And they are useless...

Its only it garbage :@

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 2, 2012 2:01 AM   in reply to Scott Worthington

I spent > 3 hours on Adobe phone support (on my dime) until they said they will need to escalate and call me back within an hour (asked for my number). 4 days later and nobody called. This is unacceptable. Adobe, I spent a fortune on InDesign and it is not working. What's going on?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 2, 2012 4:11 PM   in reply to arminvit

Same issue here. New MacBook Air 13", a few weeks old with 10.7.4. Crashing immediately whenever I export to PDF. Very upsetting!

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 3, 2012 6:19 AM   in reply to jaketcbm

FYI - I have an outstanding case with Adobe regarding InDesign crashing anytime a warning message is presented by the application. I've had it happen numerous way (PDF export, Packing, Page Deletion). In all cases a blank warning message pops up very briefly and then the application crashes. The solution I've found is to find a work around in each instance that would not trigger the warning message. If I can avoid the warning messages I've had no crashes.

My case has been elevated to the 2nd level of engineers and I spoke to one directly about this. They acknolwedge and know about the issue and say that they believe it is specifically realted to OS 10.7.4 and it only occurs when it's being run on new hardware that was recently released (I'm a new 2012 MacBook Air).

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 3, 2012 10:07 AM   in reply to Todd H&M

Happening to me,too, trying to boot Indesign (CS5.5) for very first time on brand new retina pro. Can't get it to open or run it at all. Not good at all. What now, Adobe?????????????????????????? Should I return the retina MBP and just gp back to the unibody, where at least i was able to do some work??!

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 3, 2012 1:09 PM   in reply to Carey Burgess

Not working here either. new 2012 macbook air. Tried the fix mentioned and the recovery partition (cmd + r) installed 10.7.4 it did say that is was downloading components so I guess its always going to download the most resent one and install that. which is kind of irritating. haven't installed any of the updates and it still crashes when I try to export a PDF.

Would be nice to have some info from adobe on this. how long is it going to take to fix. Do I have to go back to CS4 on a 7 year old macbook? Because this small bug renders indesign useless!

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 3, 2012 4:59 PM   in reply to depenbech

When I rebooted using cmd + r , it didnt install 10.7.4 for me and left me with 10.7.3. I still havent updated to the 10.7.4 macbook pro 1.0 software update...and am able to actually use this mac and software for what it's supposed to do and not be stuck with a $2000 paper weight! although, I feel like Im not getting best video performance without the video update...but have to outweigh the benefits I guess til something is fixed...

Weird that it doesnt work the same for you? Sorry!

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 4, 2012 4:34 AM   in reply to Marko272

Not your fualt. I have no idea how to install 10.7.3. I can't remember what version it came installed with.

I didnt install the update and I find my Macbook air is running a lot hotter. I dont think the 1.0 update is the issue as I am still getting the same problem. So it must be an issue with 10.7.4. Just imagine the fun when 10.8 is released.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 5, 2012 2:40 AM   in reply to depenbech

Depenbech,

I don't think 10.7.4. is the problem but the update for the new macbook pro's. My new Macbook Pro is running 10.7.3. right now and all works fine. My (very much) older Macbook is running 10.7.4 and all works fine there too. Suppose the problem really lies in the new MacBook Pro's and the 1.0 update which comes with 10.7.4. Just hope 10.8 is ok.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 5, 2012 12:52 PM   in reply to pure&simple

I have one of the new Mid 2012 MacBook Pros.  I to am having this crashing issue, but only on my two new macbook pros.  However my other older lion (pre update 1.0) and older are not having any issues.  So when could we expect a patch to fix this issue. 

Thanks,

Jason

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 5, 2012 6:49 PM   in reply to jchan9

Less than a week ago i bought a Macbook Air installed with Lion 10.7.4. InDesign CS5 crashes whenever a Warning box is activated - this can as other folks have described: when deleting a page with contents; when ungouping objects that have an effect applied; when updating a table of contents, or when relinking to an image that has been updated; (NOT, however, when exporting to a PDF, this seems to work fine, ironically).

I followed the instructions to reboot holding down the Command + R, and i was not given any options to NOT update to 10.7.4. So basically i have the same Lion version as before. I'm assuming that this is because my Air is so new? I really have no idea.

Are there any other suggestions about what to try to fix this, or is there any work from the engineers about a permanet fix?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 5, 2012 7:03 PM   in reply to kevino2

Mine is also with the brand new Air with 10.7.4. I removed all errors in preflight and seem to be able to export to IDML, EPS, and print PDF but crashes immediately when exporting interactive PDF, so maybe there's a warning box specific to that export. But I do briefly see a warning box pop up before getting the Indesign crash notification.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 5, 2012 7:38 PM   in reply to jaketcbm

I am using MBP with Retina display and I have same issues as well (fail on exporting, packaging, printing.) I do have them figure out about not crash while deleting spreads but that's a miner thing compare with those 3 big issues. I bought this computer for my final class but now I can't use and have to use my 5 years old computer for it. I can't believe they haven't have this figured out yet, grr!

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 6, 2012 3:57 AM   in reply to Yihsuanlu

Question for Adobe: Is there any way to temporarily disable all warning dialog boxes to prevent crashing?

I know this is not a good long-term solution, but i have to get some work done, and this issue is making it impossible.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 6, 2012 8:33 AM   in reply to kevino2

What the heck is going on Adobe? I cannot use InDesign on my new MacBookAir, therefore I cannot on client stuff when on the way. I have the same issues as the others here! Please, how can I disable the warning dialogs?

R

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 6, 2012 9:53 AM   in reply to arminvit

This behavior caused by the update is being investigated by our engineers.

At this time it appears the update is removing an API we use to control our use of system icons. At present the solution appears to be to rollback the update for the software to continue to function as expected.

Other solutions are being explored to see if we can find a simpler answer.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 6, 2012 10:07 AM   in reply to Scott Worthington

Thank you for your response. Since my MacBook Air is less than a week old, I was unable to roll back the update, and that doesn't appear to be an available option for me. If you have ANY other suggestions about what i can try, i welcome them.

|
    Mark as:
1 2 3 4 ... 6 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (6)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points