After 2 days straight, I FIGURED IT OUT!!!! I was trying everything, especially related to font book and fonts and resetting prefs, etc...
I narrowed it down to 1 constant variable: it's happening on the 2012 macbook's, so I reset my mac and held command + R and re-installed Lion, then I DID NOT INSTALL THE UPDATE FOR THE MACBOOK 2012. Then I tried exporting a smallest file size pdf with overset text and also tried deleting a page with an object on it and BAM! No blank warning dialog and even more importantly: NO MORE CRASHES!!! Hey, I might not lose all my clients afterall!
got the good ol' warning box we all love and missed:
- power off mac and turn back on while holding down Command + R (dont do it on an external keyboard just to be safe)
- choose the re-install Lion option (I'm sure there is another way to re-install Lion, this is just the way I did it, not saying its the best or only method)
- DO NOT INSTALL MACBOOK (Mid 2012) Software Update 1.0 - THIS SCREWS ADOBE UP!
After you guys try this please let us know how your system is operating, I am noticing my macbook pro is so slow and when trying to send an email and choosing an email to reply to and attach something,etc.. each click triggers the beachball and I gotta wait a few moments..?? I'm sure we might be missing out on some good updates from not updating to the 1.0 software update....but....
So my final question is:
is this Apple's problem or Adobe's and who needs to do what here??? Why can't we all get along...
Thanks for sharing, Marko. Glad to hear that fixed it for you.
The InDesign team will be testing this out to see what may be going on there, so we can work with Apple to determine how best to fix it.
Has anyone else been able to confirm if they have installed the same update, or if re-installing Lion and skipping that update allows you to avoid the blank dialog and crashing?
I know the procedure he mentions does not sound very fun, but it shouldn't be too time-consuming.
Also, Marko (and others): That update includes some changes to the graphics system. If you have this update installed, but you disable the "automatic graphics switching" setting in system preferences, do you still get the crashing?
(Instructions here: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4110)
Doing the re-install the way I did doesnt even delete all your files and apps, keeps everything in tact and you dont have to re-install all your programs, even had same desktop files, etc..which I did not know Took maybe an hour and a half...not bad...I would have waited 5 if it fixed it!
I did have the update installed and turned off auto graphic switching and still had crashes...didnt help at all..
Also with the update installed, I had to turn OFF font preview in Photoshop in order to get it to be stable for me..
thanks for continuing to look into this and hopefully Apple puts out a DIFFERENT update for the graphics as its clearly not a good update
Marco272 is right, reinstalled lion (appearantly 10.7.3) but without the macbook pro mid 2012 (10.7.4) update and all works normally in indesign. Brilliant, that's the quick fix. Unfortunately Iphoto doesn't work any more. Please Adobe staff and apple, work this out and make it work properly. @marco, thank you on behalve of my clients and me.
this is not the solution for everyone. i also re installed lion (osx 10.7.4). didnt install the mid 2012 update and the bug is still there!
id crashes all the time (versions i tested: 5.0, 5.5 and 6) every version crashes.
the only stable release is 3.0 with osx 10.7.4
dont have the 4.0 for testing ...
im using a new macbook pro with retina. and mac osx 10.7.4 . apple is also offering the mid 2012 software update 1.0.
apple told me that there is no possibility to downgrade to 10.7.3 with the new mac books cause 10.7.3 doesnt support the new intel ivy chip...
how did you install 10.7.3? with the method mentioned (cmd+r on boot) i can only install the 10.7.4 and also the apple support told me that there is no possibilty to install 10.7.3 ... *confused*
I understand your confusion Berny. The only thing I can think of right now is that the retina doesn't work with 10.7.3. I used the same install method and got 10.7.3 installed. The more reason for Apple and Adobe to find a solution (very) soon. Something is going terribly wrong here.
When I re-installed Lion using cmnd+r, it set me up with 10.7.3...I think when you install that software update 1.0 for macbook pro, it THEN updates to 10.7.4?...I am running new Macbook pro 15" mid 2012 (non retina). So not sure why Apple said its not possible, cuz here is screen shot of what IS possible
Thank you for your reply. There seems to be a difference between mb pro and mb pro Retina.
If you reinstall Lion on mb pro Retina (cmd+r) you can only Install osx 10.7.4
So my conclusion is: its Not the Mid Summer update(you also get the Update in 10.7.4 via recommended Updates). It is the osx 10.7.4 which cause the problems!!!
@adobe: pls fix this Bug. Our customer List is getting longer & longer with everyday!
And we cant work! We bought a Lot of New mb And they are useless...
Its only it garbage :@
I spent > 3 hours on Adobe phone support (on my dime) until they said they will need to escalate and call me back within an hour (asked for my number). 4 days later and nobody called. This is unacceptable. Adobe, I spent a fortune on InDesign and it is not working. What's going on?
FYI - I have an outstanding case with Adobe regarding InDesign crashing anytime a warning message is presented by the application. I've had it happen numerous way (PDF export, Packing, Page Deletion). In all cases a blank warning message pops up very briefly and then the application crashes. The solution I've found is to find a work around in each instance that would not trigger the warning message. If I can avoid the warning messages I've had no crashes.
My case has been elevated to the 2nd level of engineers and I spoke to one directly about this. They acknolwedge and know about the issue and say that they believe it is specifically realted to OS 10.7.4 and it only occurs when it's being run on new hardware that was recently released (I'm a new 2012 MacBook Air).
Happening to me,too, trying to boot Indesign (CS5.5) for very first time on brand new retina pro. Can't get it to open or run it at all. Not good at all. What now, Adobe?????????????????????????? Should I return the retina MBP and just gp back to the unibody, where at least i was able to do some work??!
Not working here either. new 2012 macbook air. Tried the fix mentioned and the recovery partition (cmd + r) installed 10.7.4 it did say that is was downloading components so I guess its always going to download the most resent one and install that. which is kind of irritating. haven't installed any of the updates and it still crashes when I try to export a PDF.
Would be nice to have some info from adobe on this. how long is it going to take to fix. Do I have to go back to CS4 on a 7 year old macbook? Because this small bug renders indesign useless!
When I rebooted using cmd + r , it didnt install 10.7.4 for me and left me with 10.7.3. I still havent updated to the 10.7.4 macbook pro 1.0 software update...and am able to actually use this mac and software for what it's supposed to do and not be stuck with a $2000 paper weight! although, I feel like Im not getting best video performance without the video update...but have to outweigh the benefits I guess til something is fixed...
Weird that it doesnt work the same for you? Sorry!
Not your fualt. I have no idea how to install 10.7.3. I can't remember what version it came installed with.
I didnt install the update and I find my Macbook air is running a lot hotter. I dont think the 1.0 update is the issue as I am still getting the same problem. So it must be an issue with 10.7.4. Just imagine the fun when 10.8 is released.
I don't think 10.7.4. is the problem but the update for the new macbook pro's. My new Macbook Pro is running 10.7.3. right now and all works fine. My (very much) older Macbook is running 10.7.4 and all works fine there too. Suppose the problem really lies in the new MacBook Pro's and the 1.0 update which comes with 10.7.4. Just hope 10.8 is ok.
I have one of the new Mid 2012 MacBook Pros. I to am having this crashing issue, but only on my two new macbook pros. However my other older lion (pre update 1.0) and older are not having any issues. So when could we expect a patch to fix this issue.
Less than a week ago i bought a Macbook Air installed with Lion 10.7.4. InDesign CS5 crashes whenever a Warning box is activated - this can as other folks have described: when deleting a page with contents; when ungouping objects that have an effect applied; when updating a table of contents, or when relinking to an image that has been updated; (NOT, however, when exporting to a PDF, this seems to work fine, ironically).
I followed the instructions to reboot holding down the Command + R, and i was not given any options to NOT update to 10.7.4. So basically i have the same Lion version as before. I'm assuming that this is because my Air is so new? I really have no idea.
Are there any other suggestions about what to try to fix this, or is there any work from the engineers about a permanet fix?
Mine is also with the brand new Air with 10.7.4. I removed all errors in preflight and seem to be able to export to IDML, EPS, and print PDF but crashes immediately when exporting interactive PDF, so maybe there's a warning box specific to that export. But I do briefly see a warning box pop up before getting the Indesign crash notification.
I am using MBP with Retina display and I have same issues as well (fail on exporting, packaging, printing.) I do have them figure out about not crash while deleting spreads but that's a miner thing compare with those 3 big issues. I bought this computer for my final class but now I can't use and have to use my 5 years old computer for it. I can't believe they haven't have this figured out yet, grr!
Question for Adobe: Is there any way to temporarily disable all warning dialog boxes to prevent crashing?
I know this is not a good long-term solution, but i have to get some work done, and this issue is making it impossible.
What the heck is going on Adobe? I cannot use InDesign on my new MacBookAir, therefore I cannot on client stuff when on the way. I have the same issues as the others here! Please, how can I disable the warning dialogs?
This behavior caused by the update is being investigated by our engineers.
At this time it appears the update is removing an API we use to control our use of system icons. At present the solution appears to be to rollback the update for the software to continue to function as expected.
Other solutions are being explored to see if we can find a simpler answer.
Thank you for your response. Since my MacBook Air is less than a week old, I was unable to roll back the update, and that doesn't appear to be an available option for me. If you have ANY other suggestions about what i can try, i welcome them.
I cant rollback as well. It causes a lot of other problems, and because of this bug in the first place I am supremely behind at work. Having to work on this machine and then drag and drop to PDF on the old.
Adobe and Apple really must get this resolved and soon.
My MBP Retina is also only a week old and I have absolutely ZERO functionality. InDesign 5.5 crashes on start up each and every time and I am losing valuable work time every day. Scott,I appreciate your response (any response shows us that someone is listening, working on it), but like kevino2, I can't rollback the update. I am also a bit nonplussed that I stood in the Apple store and chatted with the business rep about buying the retina for my design business and NO ONE mentioned this issue!
Please keep the midnight oil buring on this, Scott.
At this time I cannot tell if it will persist in Mountain Lion. The APIs apparent removal really impacts the behavior in this situation.
We're taking this issue very seriously, I wish we had more to share at this time but I'll be sure to share what comes down the line from the engineers relating to solutions or any workarounds they can find.
I saw on a Mountain Lion developers thread that they were getting all the same crashes. That is how I learned about holding down the Option key to prevent some of the crashing. The option key does not prevent crashing when exporting to a PDF. So to answer your question, yes this is happening on current OS, and on the developer's testing Mountain Lion. This is an alarming problem that frankly I can not believe Adobe is not more concerned about.
FYI, there is no way someone at the Apple store would even know about this. They do not troubleshoot other company's software. Adobe and Apple hate each other, so when you bought your computer there was no way an Apple store employee could advise you about this problem. Honestly, Apple store employees are worthless. User forums is the best place to go to research issues with new hardware and software before purchasing.
This is Adobe's bug to fix. If that means sucking it up and talking to Apple developers so be it, but designers are both companies original tribe. You lose our respect and you have problems. Telling us to rollback is not a solution.
Release an update with a fix. End of story.
Do you ever test your apps against new OS updates? How can it have such an impact without being noticed?
TBH: I first thought that somethings wrong with my new machine, just to discover that it's a bug in your software. That's really annoying…
Keep the midnight oil burning!
I think the last tow posts are rather misinformed and quite unfair. I'd guess you've never been involved in programming or software development. API stands for Application Programming Interface (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Application_programming_interface) and in this case the code is apparently provided by Apple -- they do that so developers can write software that will tun on their operating system -- and was removed by them without providing an alternative or a warning. It's not at all unreasonable for Adobe, or anyone else writing software to run on OS X to rely on Apple's published specifications at the time development is undertaken. If you want to be angry with someone pont your thoughts toward the gods in Cuptertino.
To imply that Adobe doesn't care is ludicrous. Waht do you think is prompting Scott to post here? A bug fix is not an instant process. First the problem needs to be reliably reproduced and the true cause(s) identified. That can take days or weeks, or may never happen. You're fortunate the cause seems to be known now, which says to me somebody has been working VERY HARD to identify it so fast. Once that casue is known, strategies for solving the problem must be formulated and TESTED before being released in an update. Would you be happy if this crash were fixed and something else got broken by the fix? I doubt it.
You make a point and maybe it is not fair to point fingers, but I am a design professional not a developer. I dont want to know what API stands for. I pay $700 for the software so I dont have to. I am thrilled to see your comment because finally after 66 comments I see a sense of concern by Adobe. We are all concerned because this probelm is costing us all a ton of time and money.
All I know is that these two companies have a long history of not getting along or communicating. Both would not be where they are today if it were not for the creative community using and influencing others to use their products and hardware. Both companies have plenty of money and resources to fix this problem. For a software package that cost over $700 and a laptop that cost more than $1500 this should not even have happened in the first place. What happens is the creative community who has stood by both companies (for two decades in my instance) do not deserve to have their business suffer due to lack of communication and testing before releasing. I really dont care who is to blame. It is ridiculous that it happened. This is not some small app in the App Store. It is a very expensive piece of software used around the world, and the world is not fair. Your name is on the product, so fix it.
You have to remember that each version of ID takes AT LEAST a year to develop and tesr before it sees public release (and that testing can only occur on systems that are actually in existence at that time) . It certainly looks to me, from what has been posted here, as if the problems did not appear until quite recently. I'm not sure what version of ID you have, but the thread started with a reference to CS5, which was released over two years ago. CS6 was released in May. How reasonable, whether you want to understand the underlying technical issues or not, is it to expect old software to run on a newly altered OS that was released after? That's like saying your gasoline powered automobile should run on solar power, and that the manufacturer should have had the foresight to have a conversion kit ready to give you, for free, the day the oil companies closed all the filling stations without warning.
Europe, Middle East and Africa