Skip navigation
FastAkronOh
Currently Being Moderated

Adobe Illustrator Window Size Not Opening as MAXIMIZED

Jun 16, 2012 7:11 AM

I have Adobe Illustrator CS6 loaded on two machines, XP and Win7 Home 64.  Both have the properties set to open as a MAXIMIZED window.  When we open a file for the first time, it opens maximized.  However, when we open any subsequent files, they open NON-MAXIMIZED.  This only occurs when you double click a file to open it and does not occur if  we select FILE/OPEN.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 16, 2012 12:10 PM   in reply to FastAkronOh

Sounds perfectly normal to me. This is related to how workspaces are handled and differentiate between different document window modes. By double-clicking you bypass the workspace context and it opens a *** - just another panel to retain whatever is your current default workspace. Of course this could still be a bug, but if memory serves, it has always been this way ever since CS4 and to me it makes perfect sense. given the limitations both in AI's workspaces and how Windows handles such stuff under the hood...

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 25, 2012 8:42 AM   in reply to FastAkronOh

This has been the case with all Illustrator versions that I can recall and is extremely annoying. If Illustrator is a maximised window then double-clicking any AI/EPS file causes the application to revert to the "normal" window state (whatever size/positon you last set the application window to when it wasnt' maximized/minimized). This does not happen with Photoshop, InDesign, Flash or Dreamweaver if a file associated with those apps is opened by double clicking. The only way to avoid this is using "file->open" which is ain't gonna happen brother. Hasn't anyone at Adobe used Illustrator under Windows?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 25, 2012 10:14 PM   in reply to AndyQ

when you open your second file and the window gets resized to the previous state, simply resize it manually back to the maximized state, do not click on the maximize button, maximize it manually.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 27, 2012 2:16 AM   in reply to CarlosCanto

I never had this happen to me in CS 3, 4 or 5, but all of a sudden it started in CS 6... I have reverted back to CS 5 though for other reasons, but I never did figure out how to stop this from happening.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 27, 2012 4:13 PM   in reply to CarlosCanto

IT's not possible to enter the maximized state (excuse American spelling) simply by resizing the window - this can only be done by hitting the "maximize" button in the title bar and is quite a differnet thing.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 27, 2012 5:00 PM   in reply to AmericanGothic

true, Maximized "state" can only be achieved by using the maximize button...is there any difference for your workflow having a window in a maximized "state" as opposed to having it resized manually to fill your screen?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 27, 2012 7:14 PM   in reply to CarlosCanto

The difference is one way is how it's supposed to work, and the other is not 

Having a window pulled into max state I often accidentially grab the program window top and drag it out of position, which you can't do in real maxed state.

It's just one in a long line of CS6 bugs.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 7, 2012 10:43 PM   in reply to Mylenium

Sorry for the late response, I came here by Google searching for the same problem. However, I think the problem is not that one of the document windows resizes, but the application windows resizes (including all open document windows). I have this problem with CS6 and Win7/64.  Even worse, after several sessions , the application window opens at a location lower on my screen. I wonder when it runs off-screen. Definitely a bug in my opinion.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 15, 2013 7:03 AM   in reply to Rene Rikkers

Sometimes the windows opens in such a small state, that there is an error message saying that the program cannot start, because the application window is too small. Totally idiotic.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 15, 2013 9:49 PM   in reply to Andrej Balaz

check here for a workaround script

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1171457

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status