• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why can't Illustrator's line segment tool make a stroke of .5 pt?

Jun 16, 2012 Jun 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why can't Illustrator's line segment tool make a stroke of .5 pt? When I create a line at either 90° or 180° I cannot make the stroke thinner than 1 pt., even if I create the line first and then try to change its stroke. When I create a line at any other angle I can make the line thickness whatever I want by changing its stroke thickness. What I want is to make line segments that are .25 or .5 pts, but the minimum Illustrator will do is 1 pt even if I select the line or rectangle and try to change it to .5 or .25 pt. This same problem exists with the rectangle tool when I create a rectangle oriented at either at 90° or 180°, but if I rotate that same rectangle to anything other than 90° or 180° I will then have the ability to change the thickness to less than 1 pt. Any ideas what's going on?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Valorous Hero , Jun 16, 2012 Jun 16, 2012

Select all objects and in the Transform panel uncheck Align to Pixel grid. Also if desired, uncheck this options for new objects from the menu of the Transform panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In CS2 it's the same bug, but it works correctly if I type

0,5 pt or 0,25 pt. Strange phenomenon.

Even 0,0 pt works, is shown as 0 pt. In PostScript termi-

nology this means the thinnest line  which the (- so far

unknown) output device can draw.

Best regards --Gernot Hoffmann

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Gernot, It didn't work for me (I'm using CS5). All values I tried whether less than 1, or greater, would not work if I used a comma instead of a period. Thanks for the input. - Ken

Hi emil, That works. Thanks. - Ken

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jul 12, 2012 Jul 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hope this bug was fixed in CS6 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 12, 2012 Jul 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gernot,

In your case I believe it is owing to a discrepancy between the punctuation mark in the Regional & Language Settings in the OP and in Illy, one being the comma, the other being the dot/(full) stop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Select all objects and in the Transform panel uncheck Align to Pixel grid. Also if desired, uncheck this options for new objects from the menu of the Transform panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 30, 2013 Mar 30, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This fix works on some objects and not others, Still experimenting, but this is better. 

Is there a way to turn off "align to pixel grid" as the default for new documents? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Edit the new document profiles

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi MG- thanks for this feedback, I use Illustrator daily, but I must say I have never seen Edit New Document Profiles. Does not appear under Edit, I don't find it in preferences, nor in Window, and it Illustrator Help does not seem to list it. Thanks again for the help... D

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 31, 2013 Mar 31, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The new document profiles are Illustrator files which are located at a very special place:

http://blogs.adobe.com/adobeillustrator/2009/05/startup_profiles_a_great_tool.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, this is good information, but it does not quite get me there. I get as far as {user}:Library:Application Support:Adobe:

but there is no Adobe Illustrator folder. Suggestions?

I want to suggest they add Hyphenation to that list. I never hyphenate anything, and I can't count the number of times I have had to uncheck the hyph box in InDesign and Illustrator. Can you point me to the appropriate suggestion box? Thx D

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What OS are you using? If Mac, then since 10.7, the Users/<yourname>/Library folders are a hidden file. Do a Google search on hw to make them visible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Larry thanks for this tip - for others who may be trying to solve this problem here is a link

<http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/access-hidden-user-library-files.html>

However, I am still not able to access my new document profile. I opened the basic RGB profile and all I get is a blank screen-  not the screen Monika shows in her link above. Does this really need to be so difficult??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You now need to set the relevant options and then save it. Document profiles cannot contain anything on the artboard.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines