Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

3D Repoussé in CS6?

Jun 16, 2012 2:41 PM

Tags: #3d #cs6 #extended #repoussé

As a long time PS6 user I'm working my way through a CS5 book I had laying around "Understanding Adobe PS CS5 -- Essential Techniques for Imaging Professionals."  I have much catching up to do and the CS6 manuals are not out yet.   

Chapter 12 describes manipulating text (or any) layer with 3D Repoussé but I don't see this specific feature in CS6 Extended.   Essentially I want to turn text like this (see screenshot)

Ch12_3Da.jpg

Into something like this:Ch12_3Db.jpg

I'm assuming I should use 3D tools but which ones?  I realize this may be too complex to describe in this forum.  So any relevant CS6 tutorials you can point me to are much appreciated.

Thanks,

Nancy O.

Replies
  • Noel Carboni
    23,459 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jun 16, 2012 4:25 PM   in reply to Nancy O.

The easiest way to get started doing that is to extrude the text by clicking the little 3D icon in the Options area when the text layer is current, though you can also start via the 3D menu entry New 3D Extrusion from Selected Layer.

UncertainImpact.jpg

Once you've extruded it, you can manipulate the extrusion primarily by clicking parts in the 3D panel and making changes to the controls in the Proiperties panel, for example bending the extrusion...

UncertainImpactExtruded.jpg

Finally you Render the result using the little button at the bottom of the Properties panel for the highest quality...

UncertainImpactFinal.jpg

Not having done 3D before Photoshop CS6, I find the tools intutive to use and quick to get results.

The things you can do by just moving and turning the mesh and manipulating the various controls in the Properties panel are pretty cool!

UncertainImpactTwisted.jpg

UncertainImpactInfinite.jpg

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,459 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jun 16, 2012 5:55 PM   in reply to Nancy O.

Good plan.  I played with it for hours before I finally started to remember where all the parts are.  It does become more intuitive and easy to use over time.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 19, 2012 4:08 PM   in reply to Nancy O.

Hi Nancy,  I have created a number of video tutorials you may use to familiarize yourself with Photoshops 3D tools:

http://www.youtube.com/user/dramenon/videos

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points