Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Lag with Blackmagic Intensity Pro

Jun 16, 2012 10:41 PM

I just got Adobe Prod. Premium CS6 as well as a Blackmagic Intensity Pro monitoring card and an eVGA GTX570 graphics card, and to avoid problems, I did a new Windows installation from scratch on a formatted drive. This was done today, so all the drivers and program updates are completely up to date.

I know the Intensity Pro is about the cheapest card you can get to preview video correctly on a TV set, since graphics cards don't display video in the same way as a dedicated editing card does, so I'm still happy with it, but I would like to find it if I can get around this annoyance until I can get a better card, or if perhaps it's a flaw in Premiere and a more expensive card would not make a difference.

The card has about 200 miliseconds of lag compared to the program monitor in the Premiere window. This is not really terrible, but it becomes distracting when watching the TV screen and the change of frame in a cut happens first in the computer monitor in a small window within Premiere, and a fraction of a second later on the TV screen. Also, it makes it difficult when I have to sync cuts to changes in the music. I guess in that type of situation it would be better to do the cuts on the computer monitor and then switch to the TV set for color correction.

But this is not just in regular playback. It gets worse when scrubbing the timeline, or moving with JKL. In those cases, sometimes it takes it like a second to catch up to what I see on the program monitor.

I also have a GrassValley HD Spark monitoring card for Edius that while it has a little lag, it's much shorter than this and it's not so distracting. That card was connected using the same cable to the same TV set, so that tells me the Intensity Pro has some extra lag, but it's hard to complain about it on a $190 card. However, I was wondering if anyone here has found themselves in the same problem and found a solution? I searched but so far I couldn't find anything.

And as far as these type of cards, what is the least expensive one that will give me perfect preview with no lag?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 16, 2012 11:55 PM   in reply to Sebasvideo

I have the black magic decklink studio 2 in the production control area where we work. I used it to replace our DVC pro decks so I had it hooked up to our old switcher and we used to play promos for programs that we did live to tape. Anyways though to answer your question I never experinced any lag when using the card. It always was exactly in sync on both of the computer monitor and the feed running to our switcher. At least as far as I could tell.

On my computer at work in my office though I have my pc hooked up to a DVC pro deck via firewire and I have a professional sony monitor hooked up off the DVC pro deck. Now while I edit in my office there has always been a noticble delay between my sony monitor and my computers monitor. Although like you mentioned I just simply use my sony monitor for color checks nothing more nothing less.

One thing to think about though is that in my personal experince when I have MPE's GPU accleration turned on my monitor I have hooked up in my office doesn't always function properly, then when I turn it off it acts normal again. So you may want to try turning your MPE's gpu accleration off to see if that makes a difference or not.

Although I can't say for sure if you got the BMD decklink studio 2 you'd have the same experince I have had with it as far as sync between monitors go but I can for sure say it's been a good card for $500.00.

|
    Mark as:
  • Jon-M-Spear
    969 posts
    Jan 27, 2006
    Jun 18, 2012 4:17 AM   in reply to Sebasvideo

I am having the same issue in CS6 and coincidentally, posted to the BM forum on the Creative Cow site only this morning.

http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/124/881531

No response as yet.

I'm finding that dropped frames can be initiated by a simple 4-second caption burnt over a single layer of XDCAM EX footage.  When I stop and restart playback, it continues correctly until it hits some fast cuts.

My machine is not underspec'd.

I am also having problems with juddering shuttle when the reference monitor is active and displaying the vectorscope/RGB parade.  Are you experiencing that too?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2012 1:32 PM   in reply to ComputerNovice25

I have a question to add to this conversation.

I have a sony dvmc-da2 media converter hooked up to a panasonic studio monitor that I used to view files on in vegas pro.

When I hook this up via firewire to our pc and look in premeier pro cs6 for this device to output to it is not there.

Nor thru nvidia menu. Is this even possible to do anymore or is this abit outdated.

I also have an intensity pro that doesn't seem to like to play nice with the nvidia card.

Any thoughts and also where do find external choices in PPcs6.

Thanx

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 22, 2012 11:29 AM   in reply to Jon-M-Spear

Hi Jon-M-Spear, for your dropped frame issue, have you tried comparing between Mercury Hardware and Mercury Software modes?

|
    Mark as:
  • Jon-M-Spear
    969 posts
    Jan 27, 2006
    Jun 22, 2012 3:35 PM   in reply to Zac Lam

I'm not at my PC now, but I seem to recall that it makes no difference.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 22, 2012 4:30 PM   in reply to Jon-M-Spear

I'm getting a lag as well on playback with a Decklink Studio.

hit play. it's a few frames off.

stop

hit play again...its in synch.

had this issue with cs 5 as well if i recall, even on rendered sequences.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 2, 2012 3:30 AM   in reply to Sebasvideo

Same thing is happening to me with the Intensity Extreme Thunderbolt...

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 2, 2012 9:13 AM   in reply to DrewD_1111

Check out this Adobe demo video and you will see a slight lag between the Premiere preview and external display - http://youtu.be/G4X5ZDzos1I

I think it is inevitable, as Adobe has to hand off the video data to the third-party card, which is going to have some processing going on internally that could introduce a tiny bit of lag, but also consider that the video DISPLAY may introduce some lag with its own internal processing of the incoming HDMI signal. I can have multiple TVs turned on in my house and all set to the same football game, yet I hear echoes from one room the other because there are timing offsets!

I've used Matrox products for years, currently MXO2 Mini, and yes there is a small lag, but I don't look at both screens at once, am looking at one or the other at any given moment. I can understand that the lag may be a critical issue for cutting a music video, but probably not an issue for most users. I never notice it myself really unless specifically looking for it.

Jeff Pulera

Safe Harbor Computers

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 2, 2012 9:26 AM   in reply to SAFEHARBOR11

well, its happening on all the aja cards too, so it's not just a black magic problem.

There's no good excuse why there would be any lag.

there should be absolutely none at all. 

There's no lag with final cut pro on that same hardware.

The Mercury Transmit needs some refinement.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 2, 2012 3:33 PM   in reply to rexpost

Final Cut allowed adjustment under System Settings > Playback Control to adjust any delay/offset.

I believe Final cut would delay the desktop display if the 3rd party card was behind and it would delay the feed to the 3rd party card if the desktop was behind. I was always able to get them in sync.

All done within the FCP application.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 30, 2013 4:46 PM   in reply to Qengineering

This thread is almost a year old so hope somebody is listening. I'm having these same lag issues between Premiere Pro and my intensity card. I'm working in CC and had a client in the suite today they kept asking why my footage was out of sync. Pretty embarrassing.  I lost track of how many times I had to hit the space bar to correct the drift in audio. I come from an Avid and FCP workflow and I never had a problem using the BM Intesity card with those edit suites.  Murcury Playback is on and I'm running a gtx 570. When I go frame by frame it's fine but in playback I've had it go form half a second lag to a full second. After a while I just shut the plasma display off. Has anyone come up with a fix for this?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 30, 2013 5:12 PM   in reply to ReubenFink

Synch....Audio or video lag?

THere are Delay Controls in the Display Preferences which I have had no need to use.

Video display  match across all my monitors and therefore the audio is also in synch

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 30, 2013 10:13 PM   in reply to shooternz

It's my Audio that's out of synch. It's about half a second late and sometimes worse. When it gets really bad I have to hit spacebar to stop playback then I restart but then it reverts back to a slight delay though somewhat better. I've tried adjusting the delay controls but it has not remedied the problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 30, 2013 10:30 PM   in reply to ReubenFink

So you are saying audio is out of synch on the BM Monitor and I assume its correct on the Desktop Monitors.?

Which Audio is set in Audio Preferences?  Where is it Mapped to?

FYI. 

Mine is Premiere Pro WDM Sound .  Mapped to Adobe Desktop Audio.  (ie no sound card involved)

The audio is out put to an external amplifier and speaker system.

All monitors run video in synch with each other  and audio is in synch no matter which monitor is viewed.

No drift over time.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 31, 2013 5:26 PM   in reply to shooternz

Everything is in synch on my two desktop monitors until I select Blackmagic as my video device output to the plasma then there's a delay on all monitors. So I double checked settings as you mentioned and the only way I can get rid of the synch problem is to change the audio device playback settings to run through the Blackmagic Intensity card. It is a fix for now but if I prefer to have my actual audio card to process the sound since I think it's a bit cleaner then the BM. So I pretty much have to let the BM card handle both audio and sound at the same time for there not to be an issue.

I'll take it.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 31, 2013 6:40 PM   in reply to ReubenFink

Just a question?

Why did you need BM card for a Plasma screen?  Is it SDI ?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 31, 2013 8:02 PM   in reply to shooternz

The plasma is for the client to view. It's HDMI but I'm already using two displays and I'm on a Mac Pro and that's a Mac Limit even though I have HDMI ports on the gtx570 they are disabled once both DVI's are put to use.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 1, 2013 3:22 AM   in reply to ReubenFink

My picture delay going to my Plasma via decklink studio 2 using HDMI is 38ms and going via SD SDI to my Sony CRT is 51ms (extra delay is caused by the down conversion) I can adjust the delay in my audio monitoring to make the lip sync correct.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (2)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points