Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Disappearing Pantone swatches when using only percentages of the swatch

Jun 19, 2012 2:24 AM

Tags: #illustrator #problem #color #adobe #bug #pantone #cs6 #swatch_percentages #select_unused #disappearing_swatch

Hi I've come across something what might be a bug in Illustrator CS6..

 

Here's the thing.. I've made a design in Ai CS6 (with colorspace) and have used several Pantone swatches.

From a few Pantone colors I have used only a percentage of the color, for example the design consists of: 75% of Pantone 485 C, 32% of Pantone 1345 C and 100% of Pantone 154 C.

 

In the process of the design I have used several other Pantone colors which are not used in the final design, but they are still in the Swatch tab/list.

So when you click on the triangle (upper right corner) > "Select All Unused..", the Pantone colors that are only used as percentages (Pantone 485 C & Pantone 1345 C in the example) are being selected as "Unused" ?!

 

I have been using Ai CS4 before this version and in that version this wasn't a problem.

I could you percentages of Pantone colors without the swatch being selected as "Unused".

 

I really don't want to manual delete every unused swatch by dragging it into the trash bin.

It would be such a time wasting handling.

 

This is really inconvenient as I am working for a print and design company and need to save the Pantone colors that are used in the design, even if they are only a percentage of the Pantone swatch.

 

Could someone please explain to me why or what the reason is that this is happening..

Did I miss something?

 

Thanks!

 
Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 19, 2012 4:43 AM   in reply to Robert_Geerst

    When you created the tint of the Pantone color did you make that a swatch? Or did you just leave it as it was?

     

    If you did then they should remain, but if you just changed the tint but did not save it as a swatch then the pms color is not longer being used since it is a specific tint. At least that is how it seems to be working.

     

    I have to agree with you that you are still using the PMS color and it shoulld remain without the necessity of making a swatch, even if making a swatch of each tint is a good idea.

     

    I would say it is a bug and should be reported as such. You cn do that here:

     

    https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 19, 2012 8:42 AM   in reply to Robert_Geerst

    Actually the first time I tried it I thought making the tint as new swatches work but when I tried it again and selected unused swatches that part worked but when I deleted the selected swatches it deleted all the swatches except balck and white?

     

    This is a terrible bug. Actualy the whole color thing seems broken I do not know who tested this but it appears no one bothered to test it at all.

     

    I find if I now select a tint percentage of a spot color and then select another spot clolor for another object the swatch of the next spot color is set to the same tint value?

     

    I don't know how this got past anyone. But a point release has to be put up real quick.

     

    It is great that you pointed this out.

     

    I myself seldom use spot colors. I never would have seen it. I usually am pretty sure which color I want.

     

    I think a lot of people who use spot colors las you do will find impossible to use Illustrator CS 6 for this reason.

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 30, 2012 10:29 AM   in reply to Robert_Geerst

    Hello! For everyone that even after doing all of the suggestions we could find online, I finally figured it out

     

    If you have FontExplorer Pro installed, then the plugins are the ones at fault. They released an update (that I still haven't been able to install since it gives me an error when doing so) but this are the listed bugs that were fixed:

     

    Plugin Version for Illustrator CS 5, 5.1 and CS6

    • Color swatches are now correctly displayed and no longer produce an empty window.
    • Fixed a problem which prevented linked files from being shown or placed in an Illustrator document.
    • Resolved an issue which sporadically caused Illustrator to crash during font activation Font activation did not occur when document names contained an umlaut character (Ä Ö Ü)

     

    Hope this sheds some light on this frustrating issue! I tweeted Linotype (@Linotype_com) so if anyone wants to follow them or myself @iKitty I'll be RT their answer or update when I am successful updating them.

     

    So in the meantime, just disable the plugins and everything should be ok.

     
    |
    Mark as:

More Like This

  • Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

  • 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points