Skip navigation
bearcatnat
Currently Being Moderated

Illustrator Resizes on File Open

Jun 19, 2012 12:15 PM

This is a silly little issue, but it really bugs me! Whenever I open a file in Illustrator via double-clicking the file in Windows Explorer, Illustrator resizes its main window, as if I've hit the "Restore Down" button in the upper right corner. I then have to click "Restore Up" to expand it to fill the screen again. I'm using Illustrator CS3 and Windows XP. Any ideas?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 21, 2012 8:22 AM   in reply to bearcatnat

I'm on mac at the moment, but try the consolidate all button.

Screen shot 2012-06-21 at 10.21.02 AM.png

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 24, 2012 10:52 AM   in reply to bearcatnat

I have the same issue in CS5 but the above idea did not work for me.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 24, 2012 1:54 PM   in reply to sponger246

Had (and still have) the same issue on CS5 and CS4 both on Windows 7. Earlier I had this also in CS3 in XP. The only way I found to correct this, is by trashing the setting file. This will help only for a short period as this strange behavior will come back after a while.

Been asking around about this issue before but until this post nobody reported this problem. This behavior is not a real problem, but it also bugs me. So if somebody have any idea how to correct this…..

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 24, 2012 3:19 PM   in reply to Ric van der Meer

I think the only way to correct this is for Adobe to pay a programmer to fix this ancient POS program.

IOW it is impossible.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2012 4:31 AM   in reply to Scott Falkner

Try dragging the file into open Ai app, perhaps that is an easier method that does not resize the app window?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2012 11:53 PM   in reply to bearcatnat

I have got the same Problem on a PC Windows 7 Pro 64bit, Ai CS6. In CS5 it worked well. I try to set the "Start Option" for the Programm to "Full Screen" but when I open a new file the window downsizes again.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 2, 2012 3:07 PM   in reply to Scott Falkner

I just keep expecting this to be fixed but with every U/G it's still there. I'm on CS6 now and it's back to annoy me....do they ever test this software?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 10, 2013 9:08 AM   in reply to bearcatnat

I just started having this problem after I bought a larger monitor. (CS5 XP)

Incredibly annoying!!!

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 23, 2013 10:09 PM   in reply to bearcatnat

I have got the same Problem. Now its fixed. change your scratch disk to some other drives

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 24, 2013 1:01 PM   in reply to Harryharry1987

Changing scratch disks (i.e. Illustrator CS6 scratch disk settings) didn't help for me (on a machine with 4 fixed HDD's) and I tried a few combinations of primary/secondary scratch disks.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 12, 2013 10:49 PM   in reply to bearcatnat

Same problem here and it still happens also on Illustrator CC. Changing scratch disk settings doesn't help.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 9, 2013 3:17 AM   in reply to bearcatnat

Exact same problem here. Sometime the illustrator windows is resize so small that we have an error and we can't open the file. We have to do a Drag and Drop.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 11, 2013 5:46 AM   in reply to bearcatnat

Same exact problem here on CC.

I as well have been waiting for this bug to get fixed since the incarnation of Illustrator.  But alas, it remains to taunt me all day, every day!

Hey Adobe!  Doesn't this bug the hell out of you too?!?!  Or is this your little inside joke that you continue to thik is funny version after version after version?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 11, 2013 8:51 AM   in reply to PwrSrg

Try the solution in post #11 here forums.adobe.com/message/5640644#5640644

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 11, 2013 9:15 AM   in reply to emil emil

The problem is not "Illustrator opens in window too small".  The problem is "Illustrator exits Maximized mode (restore) and shrinks in size every time you open an .ai document".  Your solution has no effect on our problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 11, 2013 9:23 AM   in reply to PwrSrg

Hey Adobe!  Doesn't this bug the hell out of you too?!?!

they don't actually use illustrator, it seems

"Illustrator exits Maximized mode (restore) and shrinks in size every time you open an .ai document"

I have posted this several times, some users like it, some don't

"maximize" your window manually, that is, grab it by the corners and drag to fill up (almost) the screen, make sure you don't get to the actual maximum since the system will maximize the window for you, that should take care of the problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 11, 2013 9:53 AM   in reply to CarlosCanto

Thanks for the suggestion.

Unfortunately, that doesn't really "take care of the problem", it justs masks the bug as much as currently possible, which I had already done.

On a side note, who would possibly like this behavior and why?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 11, 2013 10:15 AM   in reply to PwrSrg

you're welcome,

you realize I don't work for Adobe, do you? I can not "literally" take care of Illustrator bugs.

...about your side note, I don't know what to tell you. I like it, it beats maximizing the window every time I open a file, I don't really know what's not to like about it...but why don't you tell us why you don't like it.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 11, 2013 10:22 AM   in reply to PwrSrg

Does this happen when Illustrator is already open and maximized and you double click .ai file in a folder or only when Illustrator is not running and you double click an .ai file?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 12, 2013 6:14 AM   in reply to CarlosCanto

Oh, appologies.  Your comment wasn't very clear.  I thought you meant some people actually like when the window constantly restores on them every time they open a document.  Not that they like your suggestion.  No, like I stated, I had already implemented your suggestion as a workaround.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 12, 2013 6:15 AM   in reply to emil emil

The first one.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 12, 2013 6:46 AM   in reply to PwrSrg

Actually, the "Manual Resize" is the ONLY sollution... CS5 I'm sure isn't being supported any more.

It's a real simple fix.

just make the Illustrator window as large as possible... and then close down Illustrator to "Remember" this window position.. done. I done this after it was suggested, and I haven't even noticed it NOT being MAXIMIZED..

I wonder how many people above are using a "BOUGHT" version??? I wonder if all the people ******** above are using a HACKED version....

just my $.02

chili

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 12, 2013 9:11 PM   in reply to BigChili

Stop wondering! Yes, I'm using the legal version too. And this is a bug which hasn't been fixed for years and was in previous version(s) too (now using CC). It started so long ago, that I even don't remeber correctly on which version and if it was already after installation or after some usage time meaning there is a deffinite cause why this happens. If I remember correctly it might be the second case.

Anyway maximazing the window manually is not really a sollution. That is just a workaround. Also think of some case when you especially want to quicky switch between maximized and minimized modes, for example half screen to see some reference text of other program. Then this is not really possible as you would get that not maximized half screen every time by doubleclicking to open the document and would need to click one more time to maximize.

Final thought is that it is very annoying and my best sollution is to not open files by double clicking on them, but by dragging them inside already open Illustrator. Just don't drag in an open document, but some other part of program screen, otherwise it will place it. Of course another way is to use the Open from menu, but that of course would slow things down even more.

In the end a simple question - why this happens only in Illustrator and not any other Adobe software. At least I haven't seen it.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 13, 2013 6:25 AM   in reply to PwrSrg

PwrSrg wrote:

Your solution has no effect on our problem.

I'm wondering if you actually tried my solution and if yes, what steps did you make?

I don't have this problem. Using CS5 on Windows 7. May be I'm wrong but I have a feeling that it is a system and not Illustrator problem that needs to be fixed. I think the size of the application windows are managed by the system.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 25, 2013 3:54 AM   in reply to bearcatnat

Has anyone from Adobe actually addressed this issue or even replied? I would like some kind of explination regarding this - Or am I missing something and they have replied??

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 6, 2013 2:07 AM   in reply to bearcatnat

4 years since this question is open on the forum.

26 answers of people bored by this (27 counting me).

And not a single answer from Adobe.

Maybe the problem will be fixed in CC12?

NB: InDesign has exactly the same f**** problem

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 12, 2013 11:50 AM   in reply to bearcatnat

Freaking cock Adobe, will this poop ever be fixed??

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points