Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Illustrator CS6 - Image Trace (Outline)

Jun 19, 2012 1:00 PM

Tags: #image #trace #cs6 #outline

I'm trying to outline an image. In photoshop, I did find edges (save), then opened the image in illustrator and did image trace. I obtained a perfectly outlined image.

The problem: I can't obtain the same results using illustrator image trace alone.

I've adjusted the advance settings a few times to get the same result but with no luck. Threshhold and corner settings are ok, but I'm getting more paths and noise than I want, with the settings at low/1 respectively.
I also tried the gray scale setting since the image is mostly gray, expand, etc, but no dice).

Can you help?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 21, 2012 10:11 AM   in reply to jholland83

Hi there - could you post a screenshot of the Image Trace result you're getting, along with the image you created using the Photoshop to Image Trace technique? It might help us give you some advice.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2012 1:17 PM   in reply to jholland83

The top donut-like shape is your original image, correct?

Hm...since you're not getting the results you want with Image Trace, I would try another approach. I don't usually use Image Trace alone since it isn't a perfect translation to vector. It can be very touchy with some images, this one being among them apparently.

Since it's a pretty simple shape, I would just manually trace it using the pen tool. That way you could also get that middle section filled with gray, and have a lot more control over how your image is traced. It will take a longer time however, so you might just want to stick with your Photoshop to Image Trace technique.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2012 10:37 PM   in reply to jholland83

Hi Jholland83

Have you tried the following combination in Image Trace panel :-->

1) Trace the image with "Outline" preset

2) Increase the number of paths and corners to 100%

3) Reduce the "Noise" to 1px

4) Now try to increase the "Threshold" value

Maybe you can be nearer to your desired result.

~MBM

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points