Skip navigation
Sondzin
Currently Being Moderated

Font list defaults to top of list.

Jun 19, 2012 11:28 PM

How can I stop the fonts list, when selecting the font drop down, from defaulting to the top of the list? It no longer goes to the font of which you text is formatted?

For instance, I have selected some text that is Helvetica, I click the drop down for the fonts and it starts right at the top of the font list, not at Helvetica, which is the font that is being used in the selected text.

Why is this?

I thought it was due to the new feature of being able to have most recently used fonts at the top of the list (and it still may have something to do with that), but even with the most recnets fonts set to zero, it still happens.

This is highly annoying, so much so, that I am using 5.5 instead because I do a lot with fonts and text and it is a productivity killer!

Is there a way to turn this annoying feature off?!

Thanks,

David

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 20, 2012 2:57 AM   in reply to Sondzin

This does seem to be new behavior based on the recently used fonts list. I think though, that you probably have the wrong approach to dealing with it. The recent list is designed to cut down on scrolling, so if you use a lot of fonts, you may want to increase the number in the list, rather than reduce it, that way the ones you've been using will all be at the top of the list. If you are going to change the font anyway, how does having the current font highlighted really help? You still need to scroll to get to the one you want. You might find it faster to highlight the name in the field, then start typing the name of the new font you want to use.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 20, 2012 1:23 PM   in reply to Sondzin

Personally I think the list is superfluous, but it was definitely added due to a large amount of user requests. I don't know a way to turn it off, nor to sort alphabetically, which would make it more useful to me -- sort of a mini-font list of the most  fonts I use the most. I have dozens, perhaps several hundred even, active fonts on my system that I use only occasionally, but I don't want to have to continually activate them every time I open a file that needs them (I use Windows and no font manager), so my list is pretty ungainly.

I certainly understand your complaint, though. Do you know that if you select the current font from the recent list that you can also use the arrow keys on the keyboard to move up and down from that font, not in the recent list, but in the longer list? That might help with those fonts that are one or two positions away from the current assignment.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2012 5:39 AM   in reply to Sondzin

make the request for the change here: Adobe - Feature Request/Bug Report Form

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2012 6:19 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

You can make the recent font list disappear by choosing the number 0 for the number of recent fonts in InDesign Preferences > Type.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2012 6:27 AM   in reply to Steve Werner

Steve,

OP mentioned in the first post that he's tried the 0 recent fonts trick, but that doesn't change the behavior of opening the list at the top instead of at the selected font, which is what he wanted.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 11, 2013 2:02 AM   in reply to Sondzin

Just wanted to add my name to the list of people wanting the font list functionality returned to how it was.

Already  added a Feature Rquest/Bug Report.

Thanks, Angus

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points