Skip navigation
Kevla74
Currently Being Moderated

Can you do a mail merge in Indesign?

Jun 20, 2012 2:25 AM

Hi all, basically i have to create certificates with up to 200 names. The Certificate is created on the master page and then the relevent number of pages inserted. Then the time consuming part comes when i ahve to copy and paste 200 names individually.

is there a quicker way, maybe you can set a value in the master text box and have it populated from an exteranl file?? Something like a mail merge i guess?

Any ideas guys?

Thanks for any help.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 20, 2012 2:59 AM   in reply to Kevla74

In InDesign the feature you want is called Data Merge, and I think the Help topic does a pretty good job of explaining how to use it.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2012 10:59 PM   in reply to Kevla74

Yes, this works very well but watch what InDesign is up to. It adds a page for each certificate. I was practicing this for someone else to do then sent the files and they had a practice before the final run but it would not print. Then someone noticed the thing had over 5000 pages. Everytime we did a merge it add more pages.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 22, 2012 4:02 AM   in reply to Rich Zep

RIch, it sounds like you are doing something wrong, unless you have that many records. You should not be getting more than one page per record in a job like this.

You have the option, alos of specifying a range of records to merge so you can break itinto more manageable chunks, or specify a range to print. That said, if you really have thousands of copies to print, Data Merge may not be the best solution. A real VDP module on the printer that can take a single page to RIP, then add the custom information on the fly from your database is a lot more efficient and would probably be cost effective if you do a lot of this kind of work (or you could send it out to someone who does).

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points