Skip navigation

Photoshop CS6—many problems.  Slow.

Jun 20, 2012 1:20 PM

Tags: #slow #bugs #photoshop_cs6
  Latest reply: Trevor Dennis, Feb 9, 2014 2:37 AM
Replies 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 11 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 5, 2012 10:41 PM   in reply to julienlanoo

>> Isn t it faster to tell us what machine you use where it works perfectly on...?

AGAIN: NO.  Photoshop CS6 is working just fine on most machines.

You have a machine that isn't working well.  It's far faster for you to tell us what is wrong with your machine than for everyone else in the world to tell you what is right with their machines.

>> Do you actually use PS for what its intended to ?...

Yes, every day. As do millions of other users who haven't seen "sluggishness".

80 Mpix 16 bit/channel -- works just as fast as CS5, sometimes faster.

We've been through all the info here, and most of it is useless -- very few specifics, nothing we can reproduce (beyond the layer thumbnail problem that took months to get a description of).

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 5, 2012 10:41 PM   in reply to mikeh@fox

>> .I have a problem similiar.  My viewer is not refreshing with changes.

So you have a different problem (this thread is about slowdowns).If the image is not updating, that is not the same thing as running slowly.

Also, this topic is about Photoshop CS6, not CS 5.5.

It really helps if you keep it to one problem per topic, so the discussion can stay on track.

What you are describing sounds exactly like GPU driver bugs that we've seen before -- and were fixed by updating the GPU driver from the GPU maker's website.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 6, 2012 12:18 AM   in reply to Chris Cox

Ok then , its my machineS, completely new machines,

You know whay i ll buy a blanco SSD today, make it bootable on the 12 core and only install PS, see what happens ...

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,469 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 6, 2012 2:58 AM   in reply to julienlanoo

Even though I'm not with Adobe I have to side mostly with Chris on this - this thread is one big bloat of people venting, with very little actionable data.  Plus it was started against 13.0.0 and it seems likely that 13.0.1 has solved many problems people were seeing.

• On the one hand, people expect very high quality and usability for a premium price, so you can't blame them for venting. 

• On the other, cutting-edge technology necessarily comes with difficulties. 

There must be a balance.

Adobe has taken the AMAZING leap of embracing the GPU, which is still in its infancy, to do something serious other than playing games, and THAT ALONE is responsible for most problems reported. 

It's reasonable that Adobe is requesting more info on problems - it's impossible to model every computer in the wild, and they're showing a willingness to try to make their product better (though JJMack makes the good point that there could always be more willingness)Think about this:  Adobe isn't failing financially.  That doesn't happen by disappointing a majority of their customers.

Julien, I personally have a system that runs Photoshop CS6 overall just fine - as well or better than any prior version of Photoshop.   I know this is true because I actually have a number of older versions installed on it, and I can easily do comparative testing.

Yes, you read that right - Photoshop CS6 (especially 13.0.1 with ATI Catalyst 12.8) is MORE functional for me than any prior version I've had, and even faster to do many things.  Most importantly, I'm making the best imagery I've made in my life with it.

You want a specific description of a system that's running Photoshop fast and trouble free?  Here's mine:

• Dell Precision T5400 Workstation with dual quad core Xeon x5460s.
    • 16 GB DDR2 1333 MHz RAM.
    • ATI Radeon HD 5670 1 GB DDR5
    • Two Dell Ultrasharp 2001FP 1600 x 1200 monitors
    • 2 TB RAID 0 SSD Array
    • 3 TB internal RAID 0 HDD storage
    • 2 TB external backup HDD storage
    • Windows 7 x64, adeptly configured and well maintained

This is a 2007 design system with a few modern parts.  Not exactly cutting edge.

You want to adeptly configure Windows 7 for best reliability and performance too? I've written a book on that.

(Julien or anyone) please name something specific you'd like me to test and I'll let you know exactly how it works for me here, even on multiple versions of Photoshop if you'd like.  Then we can compare specifics and maybe even discuss specific remedies to problems.  But I think the time has past for just repeating over and over again "it's slow, it's unreliable" like so many pouting children.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 6, 2012 3:36 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Ok then,

- machine at the photo office

( sorry i didn t work for more than 3h on the 12 core testing 13.0.1 as i have to do this between 24h o clock and 3h oclock since my video man needs it at day to finish our video productions )

So tech data

Mac mini, top of line

i7, 2.7ghz

16gb Ram DDR 3

555mb sec Kingston SSD

The heaviest graphics card i could click for this machine

Software: PScs 5.5 & 6 - no plugins- latest update

Capture one pro

Media pro

Osx mountain lion

Waccom driver

And eizo color  for the Hardware calib eizo

Dropbox= turned off while working PS

And standard osx soft mail/icall/safari

Problem:

While working in 80mpixs images from Phase One IQ 180 and 39 mpix images from P45.

Rendered from C1pro 16 bitt tiffs in Prophoto colour space

Problem discript:

Healing Brush - hangs for 3 sec after using it 5 to 10 times

Healing Brush - does only respond after 3-5 sec whenn swiching from stam tool

Stamp tool - idem as Healing brush

Layers - in a 10 layer situation when making an adjustment layer invisible and visible again to see its effect, ps doesn t show the action it takes 15 sec ...

Layers - when making a Group of layers file size 2 times bigger

Photomerge - takes aprox 5 times longer in cs 6 than cs 5, about 20 minutes for a 5 image stich at 39 mpix ,...

Ps&Bridge - when checking bridge, to see what i am doing is idem to what i did, and clicking back to Photoshop everything hangs, mostely freezing

Ps - when doing nothing ( getting coffee ) and leaving image open, ps uses 130% of processor at mu return for no reason...

After 20h of work - long long asl log list

Mini Bridge - after a few uses doesn t respont ( or Bridge freezes) - having to empty switch board file as result...

PS- loads of "not responding" notifications in activity monitor, resulting in PS having a hitch , after 1 min w8 ps works again...

Trasform tool - when transforming an image, Ps doesn t respond rightaway...

--- thats all of the top of my mind

Both in graphics processor Basic Normal and off mode ...

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 6, 2012 3:40 AM   in reply to julienlanoo

" not risponding" notification is multiple times an image, almost after ever merge of layers, ...

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 6, 2012 3:51 AM   in reply to julienlanoo

Let me also add that os x mountain lion was a clean install!!!

Since my first post here i did a clean install to be sure i didnt have any problems ...

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,469 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Sep 6, 2012 5:04 AM   in reply to julienlanoo

julienlanoo wrote:

Problem:

While working in 80mpixs images from Phase One IQ 180 and 39 mpix images from P45.

Rendered from C1pro 16 bitt tiffs in Prophoto colour space

Problem discript:

Healing Brush - hangs for 3 sec after using it 5 to 10 times

Healing Brush - does only respond after 3-5 sec whenn swiching from stam tool

Stamp tool - idem as Healing brush

Layers - in a 10 layer situation when making an adjustment layer invisible and visible again to see its effect, ps doesn t show the action it takes 15 sec ...

Layers - when making a Group of layers file size 2 times bigger

Photomerge - takes aprox 5 times longer in cs 6 than cs 5, about 20 minutes for a 5 image stich at 39 mpix ,...

Ps&Bridge - when checking bridge, to see what i am doing is idem to what i did, and clicking back to Photoshop everything hangs, mostely freezing

Ps - when doing nothing ( getting coffee ) and leaving image open, ps uses 130% of processor at mu return for no reason...

After 20h of work - long long asl log list

Mini Bridge - after a few uses doesn t respont ( or Bridge freezes) - having to empty switch board file as result...

PS- loads of "not responding" notifications in activity monitor, resulting in PS having a hitch , after 1 min w8 ps works again...

Trasform tool - when transforming an image, Ps doesn t respond rightaway...

--- thats all of the top of my mind

Both in graphics processor Basic Normal and off mode ...

OK, so as to give you some comparative info.  This is how Photoshop CS6 CAN perform (in this case on my Windows 7 8 core workstation, by all indications a lesser system than yours):

• I opened a 12751 x 7001 pixel image, 16 bits/channel, ProPhoto RGB.

• Healing brush, 207 pixels, 54% hardness.  Takes about half a second to complete a stroke and match the surroundings. Repeated about 20 times without slowdowns.
    • Healing brush, 100 pixels, 50 pixels, various hardness levels - all remained interactive through dozens of strokes.
    • Healing Brush, 1000 pixels - I was able to see about a 2 second delay before the operation was completed.

You're not very accurate in your writing, but I'll interpret "stam tool" and "stamp tool" as Clone Stamp Tool.

• Clone stamp tool.  Switched immediately from Healing brush or any other tool.
    • Response was immediate and interactive with brush sizes from 50 to 500 pixels and remained instanteous for dozens of repetitions.
    • Response time slowed to about 1/2 second with a 3000 pixel brush.

Not sure if you have 10 layers in your 80 megapixel image or you're talking about another image, but I have another large astroimage that's 9909 x 6501 pixels, 16 bits, and made up of nearly 100 layers of Hubble data.

• Zoomed to fit the screen, changing the visibility of a clipped adjustment layer deep in the stack shows results on the screen in 0.5 second.
    • Zoomed to 100%, changing the visibility of that adjustment layer takes 1.5 seconds.
    • Same times for actually changing the curves in the Properties box.

I obviously don't have your images on file, so I stitched 25 of my own  6144 x 4096 pixel shots diretly from raw files in 16 bits/channel using Photomerge in both Photoshop CS5 and Photoshop CS6.  This warmed my processors up to 76C.  I timed the operations with a stopwatch.

• Photoshop CS5 got to "Aligning Layers" at 2:05 (2 minutes 5 seconds), "Blend Selected Layers" at 5:45, and finished at 10:33.
    • Final pano was 344 megapixels in 25 layers at 16 bits/channel.
    • Photoshop CS5 created two scratch files, totaling 107 GB during this process.

• Photoshop CS6 got to "Aligning Layers" at 2:07, "Blend Selected Layers" at 5:52, and finished at 10:30.
    • Final pano was 344 megapixels in 25 layers at 16 bits/channel.
    • Photoshop CS6 created two scratch files, totaling 109 GB during this process.

I simply don't use Bridge, so I can't help you much with comparisons there.  Windows Explorer gives me all the integration I need.

At no time in any of these operations did I see anything I would describe as a glitch or failure, nor did/does Photoshop use my processors when idle.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,469 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Sep 6, 2012 5:06 AM   in reply to julienlanoo

Julien, what's your scratch disk setup?  Lags etc. could come from a failure to keep up writing lots of scratch data, or even problems with your scratch disk.  In my case I use SSD for scratch.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    5,979 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Sep 6, 2012 6:53 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Noel Carboni wrote:

There must be a balance.

I personally have a system that runs Photoshop CS6 overall just fine - as well or better than any prior version of Photoshop.   I know this is true because I actually have a number of older versions installed on it, and I can easily do comparative testing.

And you have tested and confirmed that your older version do not have the bugs I been trying to get Adobe to fix for years.  You even wrote you do not know if Adobe will ever fix them.  You like Chris seem to be trying to pound it into Photoshop user comunity that bugs are acceptable.  I wounder if you will maintain that attitude when a bug is added that effect your work and products and users point their fingers at you not Adobe. For Photoshop overall is just fine.

Chris, you, me and many many others know the there are Bugs in Photoshop CS4, CS5 and CS6 that Bite every day. You can be carfully avoid some of the ones you know a way around still Photoshop is at a point that you can not trust it to work correctly.  Yes I want Improvement like better RAW conversion.  I wish Adobe would make a ACR plug-in Product that works with all versions of Photoshop. I would then buy that and keep CS3 for I want a Photoshop I can trust.  The Photoshop user comunity need this more then new bells that introduce new bugs.

Noel please stop defending Chris and Adobe policy of not fixing know problems you have four pluses signs next to you userid that refects badly on others that have plus signs after their user names. PLEASE. 

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 6, 2012 5:35 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

ssd= scratch disk, the rest i ve got to check..

The thing is i had exactly the same feeling on the much heavier machine...

One thing also i just tought of on the train ; it could be ( hypothese) that we expected much more in comparison with prevous versions...

Just like it was hyped by Adobe, to be Fantastically more...

I ll explain:

As for instance your experience: half a second is still a lot,  and even a large brush at 2 seconds or 1.5 sec is still not a lot... The difference between previous and new is not remarkable, ...

My experience could just be normal..

We just expect to much ( as we should for 11.7 factor)

Any way i am shure there is a problem, as my experience takes twice as much time as yours... When doing a stich i can go have lunch and have it finished by coffee ...

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 6, 2012 5:41 AM   in reply to julienlanoo

To elaborate my last tought: we ve still got an old G4 running with our imacon attached to it, just for scans ( one of the best setups we ever had). PS 4 runs on it so does 5 and 7...

Well working on that with PS 7 ( the version i was most happy about)

Feels to be just ad quick for simple tasks, like the stamp and curves...

So the big disapointment might be just that...

Any thoughts on the layer refressing problem ...?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 6, 2012 5:50 AM   in reply to julienlanoo

@ Mack

Might start selling via App store, apples quality requirements on bugs are killing...:p

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 6, 2012 5:55 AM   in reply to julienlanoo

Or like we said a million pages back, have a small app that can track the weak points of ones system that could interfeer with PS...

Like when one installs it, we get the message to close safari or other apps..

As now chriss keeps saying its our systems fault, but we don t know exactly what to change on it ...

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 7, 2012 11:10 PM   in reply to julienlanoo

Update on 13.0.1 I do not see the same issues I had now. My months of agrevation seem to be fixed. Im only doing very basic things in PS, but those were causing issues before and they are not as of now. I have to restart my machine once, but I cannot reliable blame that on PS. It might've been Firefox....

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,469 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Sep 6, 2012 7:56 AM   in reply to JJMack

JJMack wrote:

Noel please stop defending Chris and Adobe policy of not fixing know problems you have four pluses signs next to you userid that refects badly on others that have plus signs after their user names. PLEASE. 

Sorry, JJ, but the plain and simple fact is that from my perspective Photoshop is better than its predecessor, and that was better than its predecessor.  It's not bug-free, but neither is it impossible to use.  I get a lot of value from it. 

You know I also complain about things that don't work here, but things are not just black and white.  This thread in particular is by people seemingly with system problems they don't know how to to diagnose or deal with, and I'm here to say that Photoshop CS6 CAN work very well.  I've shown it.

I like products without quirks, but the reality is that business managers push for the release of products with more features than engineers could get done.  I've worked in that environment, and my personal solution was to tell them all to go pound sand and become a business manager myself who will not accept even one open problem.

Regarding the specific bugs you have reported, I may have verified they exist, but I do NOT hit them because of the way I use Photoshop, and they do NOT bite me.  Therefore, they are inconsequential to me.  Would like Photoshop to be perfect?  Academically yes, but practically speaking it does what I need right now.  If you don't like being associated with me on the leader board over on the right, I'll gladly forfeit all my points and get out of that list.

For some reason you have not motivated Adobe to fix the problems you reported...  I can't speak to why that is.  If I were running the show they'd damn sure be fixed.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    5,979 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Sep 6, 2012 9:16 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Noel Carboni wrote:

Sorry, JJ, but the plain and simple fact is that from my perspective Photoshop is better than its predecessor, and that was better than its predecessor.  It's not bug-free, but neither is it impossible to use.  I get a lot of value from it. 

Yes that's my point its YOUR PERSIONAL PERSPECTIVE not shared by others quit frankly I read that too many times.  We hear you.

Other have shown that Photoshop is far from perfect we are not writing we don't want Photoshop we want one that works better for me CS3 works better then CS4, CS5, CS6 that is my perspective.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,469 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Sep 6, 2012 9:18 AM   in reply to JJMack

Frankly, I read people complaining too many times without doing anything leading toward resolving the problems.

I'd like to help people move toward that resolution.  That's why I respond.

It's no one's responsibility but your own to set up and use your tools to your best advantage.  If someone can do it, someone else can too, and I'd like to think I can help achieve that.  I guarantee you most of the folks here have specific problems that can actually be solved.

Please go get yourself a Starbucks Mocha on me (I'll PayPal you the 4 bucks if you'll PM me your ID) and stop worrying so much about whether I'm diluting the hateful messages to Adobe. 

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    5,979 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Sep 6, 2012 9:35 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Noel Carboni wrote:

Frankly, I read people complaining too many times without doing anything leading toward resolving the problems.

Noel do you put me in that group. I have sent hours on the Phone with Adobe sent them everything they need. Demonstrated problems to them over and over.

Adobe perspective is We fixed a total number of 76 core issues in 13.0.1, including:

2 Security fixes  (http://www.adobe.com/go/apsb12-20)

31 Crashing fixes

18 fixes to 3D features

15 fixes to Drawing and Graphics features

My perspective is that 13.0.1 fixed 4 out of 10 Bugs I been tracking how many more bugs are there in CS6.   How did 76 core issues get out the door.  Is this the Music Man show where 76 Trombones lead the big parade.

I make better coffee then Starbucks...

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 6, 2012 9:35 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Just my personal experience:

I have had zero problems with CS6 and I am using it heavily for a major part of each day.

Stability and speed are excellent on my Mac Pro running on OSX 10.6.8 with fonts being managed by Font Agent Pro.

I am coming to the conclusion that it is foolish to expect CS6 to run optimally without installing at least 8 GB DRAM and one of the supported video cards with 1 GB VRAM.

I also am quite sure that unless you have a separate HD for Scratch, you will experience sluggish performance.

None of the bugs which apparently worry JJ Mack so much have any impact on the way that I work — and I haven't found any bugs so far which do!

One VERY happy customer here!

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,469 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Sep 6, 2012 9:40 AM   in reply to JJMack

No, I don't put you into that group.  I was referring to the many ongoing complaints in this thread without accompanying hard information.

There's theory and there's reality.  The reality is that for whatever reason - maybe there are too many pointy-haired bosses running the show, I don't know - Adobe has released software that is both valuable and imperfect at the same time.

The only way to deal with it at our level, since (don't look now) we don't seem to be able to influence how big software companies work, is to work through the problems.

I ask you this:  If someone says "it's broken every time I use it", and no one steps up to say "it's not broken for everyone, let's see why it's broken for you", then what will they think?  That the whole thing is just pants?  They're here because they'd LIKE to have Photoshop work.  I'd like to help them achieve that, because just maybe once it's working for them they'll buy my products too.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    5,979 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Sep 6, 2012 9:53 AM   in reply to CameraAnn

So your outlook is All we should do is buy good hardware install a good OS to run Photoshop optimally with all of its bugs so they can bite us optimally.  Because the subset of Photoshop you use doen't seem to be infected. If Adobe continues on its current course some day you subset will be infected then your tune may change.

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    5,979 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Sep 6, 2012 10:04 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Noel Carboni wrote:

There's theory and there's reality.  The reality is

The reality is many have tried very hard. I'm not alone there to report, demonstrate and work with Adobe support to get bugs resolved. Only to be told by Adobe support Yes you have shown us a bug we have logged it. Software Engineers are now working on it. However it will not be fixed in the current release of Photoshop it will be in some future release.

All we want is that release to get here....

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,469 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Sep 6, 2012 10:04 AM   in reply to JJMack

My "tune" is complex.  You've been around here long enough to see that I also report issues.  I even sometimes get irritated about it.  But that doesn't change the fact that I get value from Photoshop.

What's your point, that I shouldn't be positive at all?

Stop trying to make things black and white.  We've moved on from 1 bit/pixel.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 6, 2012 10:07 AM   in reply to CameraAnn

For Mac Pro everything is good . Esteem this machines!

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 6, 2012 10:08 AM   in reply to JJMack

When I actually get bitten by a Bug, I report it: but I am simply not getting bitten in CS6 with the work that I am doing and the set-up that I am using.

I can't comment on the significance of Bugs which I am not running into.

Also, I am using very few third party Plug-ins and any Actions and Custom Panels which I do use and were found to need editing for this version have been duly edited.

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    5,979 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Sep 6, 2012 10:25 AM   in reply to CameraAnn

When you get bitten and then deal with Adobe support you will see why others here have reportted they have given up on Adobe Support.  Some day I my give up to. Been two years now and two versions of Photoshop the second CS6 worse then CS5. How much longer  can I continue to report problems when Adobe does not seem to care to fix them. Its very frustrating.

The majority of Actions I use are mine and most of the Scripts I use are written by me.  Adobe has been braking these.  Personally I can bypass the problems.  However that is not a good solution.  For if othere use my actions they might not relize they should never use this ot that Photoshop option for doing so will cause actions to fail. Or they must change Photoshop default preference for if the don't some script will fault with an internal Photoshop error

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 6, 2012 10:44 AM   in reply to JJMack

I really don't see how anyone can expect Actions or Scripts written for a particular version of Photoshop, and on a particular platform and OS, to work for other Users who may be using totally different equipment and long-outdated versions of Photoshop.

Tools have changed and the old recipes used in old Actions simply do not relate to the new ingredients which are being used in today's menu!

If you want to sell Actions and Scripts, I think that you have to create and list them in separate categories for different versions of Photoshop.

If your Actions and Scripts depend on the way that a User sets their Preferences, you probably would need to start your Action with a step to reset those Prefs. which might well infuriate your Customers?!

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,469 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Sep 6, 2012 10:43 AM   in reply to CameraAnn

CameraAnn wrote:

Just my personal experience:

I have had zero problems with CS6 and I am using it heavily for a major part of each day.

Thank you, CameraAnn.  Hearing positive reports can help others maintain optimism that they can get their systems to deliver good results too.

Even better than a separate hard drive for scratch can be the use of a drive array that effectively adds the throughput of the drives together.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    5,979 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Sep 6, 2012 3:25 PM   in reply to CameraAnn

CameraAnn wrote:

I really don't see how anyone can expect Actions or Scripts written for a particular version of Photoshop, and on a particular platform and OS, to work for other Users who may be using totally different equipment and long-outdated versions of Photoshop.

So I should expect Action and script written for CS6 to work with CS6. The problem is some will only work if some Photoshop Option are set to their default values and some scripts will only work if a Photoshop Preference is changed from its default Adobe setting. Even Noel knows if you want to record a save for web step with a custom jpeg name. You need to use CS5 and move the action to CS6 for there is a bug in the CS6 action recorder. There are other Bugs In the CS6 action Player you can not get around. 

CameraAnne every time you install a new version of your Operating system do you toss your applaction and start over or do you not expect you old programs like Photoshop to work.  I'll bet you expect your new OS to be compatable with older application software.  Why should Photoshop not be compatable with software developed for Photoshop.  There are Bug waiting to bite you.

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    5,979 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Sep 6, 2012 1:38 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Noel Carboni wrote:

Thank you, CameraAnn.  Hearing positive reports can help others maintain optimism that they can get their systems to deliver good results too.

So feedback from the un-bitten is good to hear feedback from the bitten well that something else.

Noel you write you would like to see Adoble more willing to help. I think you sending them the message that what they are doing is acceptable as long as it works for you and can bypass problems any way that is posible. I think your sending the wrong message.

You point out the Adobe get a good price for their software shouldn't  their customers expect support and problem to be fixed.

I would like to see some balance too.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,469 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Sep 6, 2012 2:35 PM   in reply to JJMack

JJMack wrote:

I think you sending them the message that what they are doing is acceptable as long as it works for you and can bypass problems any way that is posible. I think your sending the wrong message.

You're entitled to your opinion, and thank you for sharing it.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 6, 2012 4:31 PM   in reply to JJMack

I'll bet you expect your new OS to be compatable with older application software.

I don't … because it isn't!

I have old plug-ins and Apps which go back nearly 20 years. Many of them can only work on a computer which can run Classic on a Mac OS of an ancient vintage and I no longer have  a computer of that kind!

I do still have a GS5 which has nothing wrong with it except that it can't run CS 5, CS 5.5 or CS 6. For those Apps, I needed to purchase a new computer.

The proverbial admonition against "pouring new wine into old bottles" is entirely apposite in this connection!

If you want your Actions to work for a wide range of different Users in different environments, I feel that you simply have to write them to include the re-setting of any basic parameters at the outset; and make the "Saving As" steps more flexible. And you have to be prepared to update your Scripts and Actions for every update of the host Application.

Check out some of Russell Brown's Scripts and Panels and notice how he has posted different versions for the different platforms and the different editions of Photoshop.

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    5,979 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Sep 6, 2012 8:31 PM   in reply to CameraAnn

You don't seem to get it there are bugs in CS6 you can not get around with out changing the user environment on them.  My scripts try not change the users environment on them by first retriving the users settings then make changes to the users environment to do thing the way they should  to be done, Then restore the user setting so thing still work the way users or Adobe set them to work.   This normally works but Adobe added a new features to Photoshop but only updated some of the area of Photoshop that needed to be updated to support the new feature. Adobe then set new default setting for one of Photoshop preferences to use the new feature, When my script try to retrieve the users or Adobe setting if the user did not change Adobe's new default from Photoshop new feature Photoshop aborts the script because Photposhop catches it has encountered an internal error.  Photoshop has bugs that terninate scripts because of Adobe bugs and has bugs that will do things incorrectly without informing the user Photoshop did wrong.  You may have been bitten but failed to notice. This feature and bug was addthe CS6. Its the only version of Photoshop with the bug.  Adobe was given all the information before months before the CS6 Update.  It took Adobe five months to fix some of the reported problems by ther count they only fixed 76 core problems. There are many not fixed read the blog http://blogs.adobe.com/photoshopdotcom/2012/08/photoshop-cs6-13-0-1-up date-now-available

Read the reported bugs http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/problems/recent

Adobe has even acknowledged some of them maybe some day the will fix them.

I'm hopeing they do don't you.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 7, 2012 11:13 PM   in reply to julienlanoo

julien - not drawing really sounds like a GPU bug, or something on your system is causing Photoshop to hang periodically.

The not responding means that something on your system is causing Photoshop to hang every once in a while.

Again, most people are not seeing this, so it really is most likely something on your system.

That could be a utility, a driver, a corrupt font, a third party plugin, another application, etc.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 11, 2012 8:18 AM   in reply to Chris Cox

So when I got CS5, the zooming was all screwed up. I complained, it went on and on for a while, I gave up returned cs5.5 only to go through horrible customer service becaue of returning it during the scam to get people to pay more for upgrades. What a fiasco that was.

Well now I finally get started in CS6 again after the last bug with photoshop hanging and causing the machine to go to a crawl, was (seemingly) fixed with the last update. BUT now the zooming is STILL screwed up!!

When I try to zoom with the scroll wheel, which should be smooth as silk, the image flies around either zooming out to infinity, or so close I can't do anything cause i'm looking at one pixel. - I thought the bugs were supposed to be out of the zooming as I recall the beta version didn't have this issue, but now IT's BACK!

I'm so fed up with Photoshop it's rediculous. How can you screw up something so basic repeatedly is beyond me. It seems like everytime i think somethign is fixed, it mysteriously comes back.

So now the problem with zooming is back. Do I have to start a whole new thread with this problem, or can I just add it to the list of "Photoshop problems" that should not be? The zoom with scroll wheel is sketchy as heck and unusable compared to CS4.  So glad I have this "state of the art" software that can't even zoom like it should... 

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 11, 2012 9:31 AM   in reply to ladri-bici

Noel has pointed out this thread to me. I'll add my 2 cents. I am using PSCS 5 (version 12.1) and I just started seeing this slowdown. This is after many months of exemplary performance. I have an early 2008 Mac Pro, 8 cores running at 2.8 GHz, 10 GB RAM, and a 100 GB blank scratch disk, which has always been plenty of power for the kind of stuff I do. Suddenly, I am getting spinning wait cursors and lazy progress bars on opening & saving small files. Operations in Photoshop lag and are slow to respond. I have already done basic troubleshooting such as repair permissions, run Disk Warrior, restart, reset power management, empty font caches, etc. I even disabled my entire FontAgent Pro fonts folder to see if it would make any difference. It did not.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 11, 2012 3:55 PM   in reply to Gary Politzer

you all seem quite knowledgeable so i will pose my question. i am running CS6 on a 2012 macbook pro, OS Lion 10.7.4, 2.3 GHz intel core i&, 4GB 1600 MHz DDR3. what i want to do is so simple in the grand scheme of photoshop.  i create an action, save the action, and want to run that action on a batch of files.  for some reason despite photoshop recognizing all the actions i have taken, this saved action will not work properly, and to be honest the issues are different every time.  sometimes it prompts me if i want to save even though i already authorized it to select dont save for that stated item, other times it prompts me to make choices on the resolution of the image i'm saving even though i authorized it to make those choices.  i can see all these commands in the action list, so it makes no sense why the program just wont execute them. other times i paste something onto the image and during the automation process it paste it in another location on the image. WTF!?
    all these issues stem from a single set of recorded actions.  when i created these recorded actions ins CS4 and CS5 I had no issues.  i would still be using CS4, but my new laptop w/ Lion will not allow me to run CS4.  seriously for the money i spent on this program i expect it to be able to do something this simple. i have wasted an entire day trying to figure this out and after stumbling on this thread am coming to the conclusion that CS6 is just one glitchy b*tch! 

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    5,979 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Sep 11, 2012 7:35 PM   in reply to drdowork

Without you posting your actions it is inposible to know what you action actually do and the description of the problems your having are not very clear. So its hard to know if the problems your having are Photoshop problems or problems caused by the way you recorded the actions. I assure you I'll be the first to state that CS6 has more then its fair share of bugs.  Still not all bugs are in Photoshop.  CS6 is the buggest version of Photishop ever released by far.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 11, 2012 9:51 PM   in reply to drdowork

@ drd, you might consider adding RAM, ( change the 2x2GB in 2x8 GB), i dont know it will solve this problem, but you ll avoid others, 4GB isn t anywhere near enough RAM, os x needs at least 3 ( and more) to run on its own now...

Also keeping in mind that CS6 ( Adobe denies this) leaks Ram like Kate M snorts coke... ( after checking this forum i started to keep an eye on this)... So opening and closing PS , get used to it...

Also on Adobe tech page ( google: Photoshop scratch disk), you are better of using an SSD as boot disk and choosing it ad Primary scratch, or buy your self a large USB stick to do this...

I ll test actions asap,

1 thing i know now is that photomerge as trouble with large stiches, brake them up :p:p :p

|
    Mark as:
1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 11 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points