Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Converting my photoshop files to a non-adobe program readable format

Jun 21, 2012 12:30 AM

Tags: #photoshop #adobe #export #convert

I have got a number of photoshop files which i cannot use because i dont have Photoshop. So i downloaded the trail version of Photoshop (MacOSX) to convert them to something that i can use with other programs.

My question is now ... What file format can i export them to?

I need a format that keeps all the information about the layers and all the other stuff - So i guess this is called workable file. What format does exist in Photoshop so that i can export it for later use with any other (means NON-Adobe) programm?

Thanks for your help.

(recreated from http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1026516)

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 21, 2012 1:09 AM   in reply to gerhard..tinned

I need a format that keeps all the information about the layers and all the other stuff - So i guess this is called workable file. What format does exist in Photoshop so that i can export it for later use with any other (means NON-Adobe) programm?

The short version: It doesn't exist. Long version: Handling of layered formats is handled quite differently in different programs. On the bright side, many programs will handle PSD files even with layers, including some image viewers like XnView, IrfanView or free image editing tools like GIMP with a pertinent file loader or commercial programs like Corel or Quark, but this requires to use the "maximum compatibility" option enabled and of course you will lose any PS specific features like editable text layers and layer styles or smart objects - they will be rasterized. Also other programs may not support things like alternate color models or certain color profiling information. In addition to the native PSD format, pretty much your only other options include layered TIFFs or PDF files with "layers", but the same limitations apply and make no mistake - they may call it PDF "layers", but it works differently and wil lresult in even more loss of editable data.

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2012 1:57 AM   in reply to gerhard..tinned

Mylenium has already elaborated.

But whether the non-Adobe-program you want to use (and the name of which you seem to prefer not to tell us) can process what you refer to as

all the other stuff

is not really up to Photoshop, I guess.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2012 2:29 AM   in reply to gerhard..tinned

You encountered the exact limitations I was explaining. You will be hard-pressed to find any serious alternative so perhaps you might at least consider a Creative Cloud subscription with a month to month plan? This gives you all the Adobe programs and while it may sound like trying to get people on the hook, I can't think of an easier way to solve the dilemma. As an alternative, you can always export the layers to separate files (there's a layers to file script somewhere), but it will impose the same limitations and you will still need a program to reassemble those layers. In a way it's like trading one problem for another....

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
  • Pierre Courtejoie
    7,038 posts
    Jan 11, 2006
    Jul 2, 2012 6:47 AM   in reply to gerhard..tinned

Hello, there are alternatives: the best one, would be to stay in an Adobe workflow: photoshop elements: http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop-elements.html

If you just need to convert the files to flat ones, graphicconverter would help you: http://www.lemkesoft.com

Yes, your assumptions are correct. I would recommend to work on a copy of the files to maintain their integrity, and avoid losing features.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 2, 2012 8:31 AM   in reply to Pierre Courtejoie

I second Pierre's recommendation for Photoshop Elements.

In this area, it should be able to do everything that you want and need, is ported for the Mac, and is not expensive (actually some certified resellers are putting it on "sale," as PSE 11 will likely be released in about Sept, or Oct.). About the only limitation with what I think you have, and need to do, is the inability to CREATE Layer Sets, but you already HAVE the Layers there, so should not even come into play.

Now, another limitation is that it cannot output to CMYK for commercial printing, but most print shops can take any RGB and convert to CMYK, so still no "deal breaker."

Good luck, and if you go the PSE route, there is an active forum for that particular program, with tons of helpful people, like Barb_B and Barb_O.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 2, 2012 8:35 AM   in reply to gerhard..tinned

Most of the basic features like the Layers in general and the components should work in most modern grafic apps even in Gimp or similar.

Correct. A PSD saved with the "maximum compatibility" option will contain rasterized versions of each layer as a fallback that otehr programs may be able to use.

But, specific photoshop informations are not necessary lost, they get interpreted as different layer types.

Example: text-layer are kind of converted to rasterized-layer - so no text editing is available anymore.

Actually it's the same as above - the layers do not get converted, the programs will simply use the rasterized data Photoshop created in the first place.

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 3, 2012 6:46 AM   in reply to gerhard..tinned

Whatever gave you the idea in the first place that Photoshop should be able to produce files in a format so that some other application could interpret all of the content correctly and completely?

For example in Photoshop CS6 there is a new Adjustment Layer available – Photoshop CS5 can either flatten a psd-file containing it or the effect of the Layer will be lost upon opening in Photoshop CS5.

And your explanation of which features you would actually need to stay editable

But i would need the possibility to change the text layers in the PSD files i have as well as changing some minor other things.

seems vague in the extreme.

Mylenium has already pointed to a free alternative to Photoshop, so why do you insist on pursuing this option?

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jul 3, 2012 8:04 AM   in reply to gerhard..tinned

gerhard..tinned wrote:

Ichecked with the Adobe chat support and they told me that Photoshop Elements will not be able to open or manipulate PSD files.

That's kind of wrong.

There are features you may have in your documents that Elements cannot do (such as 16 bits/channel images with layers), but Elements is at home saving/opening PSD files as its big brother.  If you try to open a PSD file with 16 bit layers it will ask if you want to convert to 8 bit.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 3, 2012 7:27 AM   in reply to gerhard..tinned

Photoshop Elements will not be able to open or manipulate PSD files

That is incorrect. PSD is the native format for both Photoshop and Photoshop Elements. With Layered PSD's, the one limitation of PSElements is the inability to create Layer Sets, but PSE can edit them.

An example is the DVD and BD Menus/Menues Sets, that come with, and are used with, Adobe Encore and Adobe Premiere Elements. In a DVD/BD Menu/Menu Set, the Buttons are PSD Layer Sets. Also, most other elements, that one sees in the Menus, are just PSD Layers.

I think that Live Chat was either confused, or did not have experience with PSD files in PSElements.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 3, 2012 9:00 AM   in reply to gerhard..tinned

How about getting the Trial version of Elements and seeing exactly what it does and doesn't do?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points