We are having an issue with Acrobat Pro (versions 10 and 9) running on a Windows Server 2008 R2 Terminal Server used by approximately 30 users. The application is installed as a terminal server application.
When we use the combine files feature it converts the first document then seems to just hang - it doesn't matter how big the original file was (anything from 50k to 2mb) or the file type. It does create the PDF but only puts in the first document it converted - nothing else.
We've tried both version 9 and version 10 with no improvement.
On version 10 if we run it in administartor mode it doesn't have this problem. (Version 9 hangs whether it's run as administrator or not). For security reasons we can not (under any circumstances) make our users administrators.
It's critical we get this working as this feature is extremely important.
Has anyone had any experience with this before or know of a way we can get this working?
Appreciate any help that can be provided.
We've managed to track down what was causing this. Turned out our cleint was using another third-party tool that had installed an addin into Office. As a result of the way Adobe converts the files the addin was preventing Word from closing properly and causing Acrobat to hang.
Our client is also using Office 2010 so Adobe 9 is not compatible anyway.
Disabling the third party addin has got the feature working correctly again and the issue reported to the third party software developers.
Since you have posted your process here, you may want to go back and check your license and the number you have purchased. Normally, Acrobat is not allowed on a server as a server application. You may have a version that is so licensed. If not, you should check your license carefully and adjust your installations accordingly. There are volume licenses, but on the surface it does not sound like you are using one.
Thanks for your suggestion.
The license was one of the first things we checked and was confirmed by Adobe that it was the volume license and suitable for use on a Terminal Server. As noted in my second post we have now discovered the problem was a third-party add-in that was not allowing Word to close correctly which caused Acrobat to hang.
We have since spoken to the developers of the third party app add-in and they have confirmed that there are some known issues between their add-in and the adobe PDFMaker add-in which is getting looked at by their development team. In the meantime we have disabled the third party add-in and the combine file feature in Acrobat is working fine for all users.
Thanks for the information. I am glad you checked the license issue and have more importantly found the problem. It seems that plug-ins are often a problem and finding them typically means disabling them and bringing them back one at a time. Glad your problem is resolved -- I had seen the other post.