Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Question on A4 to Letter Conversion??

Jun 22, 2012 11:38 AM

I have to convert an 8-page, European, A4 (8.27 X 11.69 inch) formatted InDesign color brochure to 8.5 X 11 inches for the US market. I have a few questions I'd like help with.

1. First, this European brochure is laid out with the front and back covers in a single spread (with front cover to the right and back cover to the left, as if you wanted to print it on a single large sheet of paper and fold it to make a cover using a laser printer). When creating new, multip-page brochures, I always treat the front and back covers as single pages, not as spreads, with a lone front cover page at the beginning of the document, and a lone back cover page at the very end. Is it advisable to change the original? It won't be difficult to do. I'm mostly concerned about working with a commercial printer (whoever my client selects).

2. Is there an easy way to do a layout adjustments that will rescale everything, including images? I'm going from a tall, thin format to a shorter, fatter format, so it will present a few challenges on certain pages when trying to fit things in vertically, since I lose 0.69 inches of height. Also, I'm a bit concerned that an "auto layout adjustment" may create a mess. What's the preferred way of doing this?

Any other words of wisdom are also welcome.

Thanks,

Lou

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 22, 2012 11:47 AM   in reply to Lou Dina

Is that cover spread a single page, or two pages with a section start to force the spread, or to put this another way, how many pages and spreads does ID report in the pages panel? Personally, I'd be inclined to move the back cover back to the end of the doc before outputting for the printer to be sure there's no confusion during imposition IF all the pages are spearate and it's arrange in readers' spreads other that his one.

Sadly, I doubt layout adjustment is going to help a lot unless you go to the trouble to draw guides snapping to every image frame and any text frame that isn't alread snapped to margin guides, and even then it might or might not work. That's about the same amount of work as setting up in CS6 for an alternate layout. For only 8 pages I'd probably just copy/paste from one doc to the other, then adjust things manually.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 22, 2012 12:16 PM   in reply to Lou Dina

If you want to keep that back cover there, re-number as 8, then start a new section and number the front cover as 1.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 22, 2012 12:24 PM   in reply to Lou Dina

I often do it so, e.g. I have a flyer, I start in section with page 4 (he last one, and make on the same spread on the right side a new section which starts with 1, so I have numbered all pages correctly. I would never put the last and the first page on a single page, but on the same spread, even if I create book covers, which consist on 3-page-spreads.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 22, 2012 12:31 PM   in reply to Lou Dina

Lou Dina wrote:

Thanks again, Peter.

That's great method for when I absolutely need it, but I prefer to set it up as I normally do, with front and back covers in their traditional locations as individual pages.

Oh, I'm in complete agreement. As I said, even if you work with the covers as a spread, I'd move the back cover before making the PDF. It can be helpful to work this way if the two covers need to relate to one another in some specific way, but otherwise I find it a distraction. I like to design as the reader will see things, and normally they don't open a booklet and lay it down to view the open covers.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2012 2:19 PM   in reply to Peter Spier

Hi Lou,

If you'd like to try out an Imposition product at you could resize your A4 easily in our Adjust pages sizes...(you can adjust the x and y) and then impose it please take a look at Quite Imposing Plus 3.

Here is a temporary number so you can try it out for free. It's an Acrobat Plug-in.

Quite Imposing Plus 3

Expires end 7/2012  Serial 7313-6768-1128-1358  Code 6945

cheers,

Charles

Quite software

USA

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status