Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Bridge CS6 won't open

Jun 23, 2012 1:49 PM

I've just downloaded the trial version of Mac version of CS6 to test it, have opened PS6, and, when trying to Browse in Bridge, the Bridge app will not open, even though Bridge is one of the downloaded apps. What do I need to do to get Bridge operational?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 23, 2012 2:17 PM   in reply to hokiman2

Do you get an error message?

Try opening it from photoshop.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 23, 2012 2:46 PM   in reply to hokiman2

Try resetting preferences in Bridge.  Hold down the Option key and click on bridge start icon.  YOu should get a reset windown with 3 options.  Choose all 3.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 23, 2012 5:56 PM   in reply to hokiman2

Not a Mac guy, but if you can not get the reset window you are either doing something wrong, or there is something wrong with install.

Try the proceedure by clicking on the Bridge icon on desktop.  If that does not work go into program file and select Brigdge.exe and try that.

Might want to read this link http://forums.adobe.com/message/4154273#4154273 if that does not work.  Last post has location of some files you can delete manually.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 23, 2012 6:57 PM   in reply to Curt Y

Curt Y wrote:

Not a Mac guy, but if you can not get the reset window you are either doing something wrong, or there is something wrong with install…

As long-time Mac user i concur wholeheartedly.

Just another difference in the Mac world, though:  there are absolutely no ".exe" files on a Mac, ever.

Until very recently, applications had no extension or suffix whatsoever.  These days they have an ".app" extension.

Nevertheless, you should never, under any circumstances take out the application icon out of its application folder, which in turn should reside directly in the ROOT LEVEL "Applications" folder.  The advice to put it on the desktop is patently bad advice.  That's why there's an alias of that icon sitting on the Dock.

If Bridge is unresponsive, there's something awfully wrong with the installation.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 23, 2012 7:04 PM   in reply to hokiman2

hokiman,

Hold down the Option key since before double clicking on the Bridge icon, and make sure you keep holding that Option key until you are presented with the dialog box.

If Bridge doesn't respond to that, you have serious problems with the OS install, the Bridge install or both.

Make sure you have respected the default installation location for the Adobe applications.  Their respective folders should reside directly in your ROOT LEVEL Applications folder of your boot volume.  DO not create any subfolders in a misguided attempt to "organize" things.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 23, 2012 7:19 PM   in reply to station_two

Station_two,

I assume you and Omke will correct any Mac mistakes I make, so thanks for that.  In Windows OS we have no Dock and all the icons are put on the desktop.

Omke is on vaction but he usually refers to disk repair and deleting .plist if I am not mistaken.  (I think you are getting the pattern here I sometime mess up names, the wife is used to it).

And you last sentenace is a good one "DO NOT create any subfolders in a misguided attempt to "organize" things".  Seems like more of an Apple thing than Windows thing.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 23, 2012 9:44 PM   in reply to Curt Y

Curt,

I'm well aware of how Windows works.  I was forced to use Windows boxes for fifteen years when I worked for Uncle Sam, and at one point in time, due to deaths and illness in the IT staff, I became the de facto IT Dept for three or four moths all by my lonesome self, running both the PCs (about 80 of them) and the Linux systems and putting in 18-hour workdays.  I shudder when I think back. 

Four years ago I bought a Toshiba Windows laptop, which i sometimes use when I travel.

Yes, creating subfolders inside the Applications folder on a Mac has disastrous consequences, really, really nasty issues. 

Deleting .plists accomplishes only about 90% of what re-setting preferences at launch does, but for some it sounds "less drastic" somehow.  Disk Repair and Permissions Repair should be routine maintenance, and that's why I seldom mention that.

Just for kicks, here's what my desktop looks like across two monitors (3200 x 1200 pixels):

Desktop_3200x1200.jpg

The Dock is automatically hidden and revealed by hovering the cursor with the mouse at the bottom of the main screen.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 4, 2013 8:03 PM   in reply to hokiman2

I just completed a install of cs6 essentials on my mac book pro and am experiencing the same issue as the op.  When attempting the "option click-bridge" I get the three options... select them, then get.."The operation could not be completed.  A write permission error has occure".  Any suggestions on where to go from here?   I thought I should add that bridge will not open from within photoshop either.... hmmm, very frustrating.

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    3,998 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Mar 5, 2013 1:27 AM   in reply to tommcgraw

"The operation could not be completed.  A write permission error has occure".  Any suggestions on where to go from here?

open Apple Disk Utility ( in the applications / utilities folder) and run a check and repair permissions. If this does not help create a new user account just for testing and see if it runs from there. If so consider an Archive and install or run the recovery disk to create a refreshed user account.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 5, 2013 8:57 AM   in reply to Omke Oudeman

Thank you for your suggestions Omke.  I ran the check and repair permissions, which actually found a few faults... but afterwards was not able to open Bridge without it crashing... I then attempeted to open it with my guest account, and it opened right up... this is a brand new install.  So I think you may be right... I'll attempt the recovery/ refreshed user account.  Sure seems like a lot of work for something that should be so simple.

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    3,998 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Mar 5, 2013 9:19 AM   in reply to tommcgraw

Sure seems like a lot of work for something that should be so simple.

A recovery is not that much work but agreed, it would be nicer if it could be avoided.

But since you talked about a brand new install this keeps me wondering. If you did only a system install with copy network settings from previous Mac and then do a clean install of all applications and recache Bridge again this normally should not happen. Sometimes it is also wise to first run a check and repair permissions before installing new applications.

but if you did copy or clone the system you also copied previous fault preferences and settings which can cause Bridge (and other apps) to act strange.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 5, 2013 9:22 AM   in reply to tommcgraw

Since it is a new install have you updated PS and Bridge to latest updates?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 5, 2013 10:21 AM   in reply to Curt Y

Thanks Curt and Omke,  This is a brand new Mac book pro (retina) -just recently came over to the other side. 2.6 Ghz with 16 MB ram running OS X 10.8.2.  It came pre-installed so I am having a tough time finding out how to refresh my user account.  The install is from a new purchase (download) and appears to be up to date.  But something funny just happened... while going through ps - help - updates it told me that "updates cannot be applied' Unable to write to location '/Users/thomas/Library/Application Support/Adobe". 

Could this be my problem?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 5, 2013 10:29 AM   in reply to tommcgraw

To add to the above...

I can find that path under the shared folders but it does not exist under my thomas path....  is this a 10.8.2 anomally by chance? or a install issue.

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    3,998 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Mar 5, 2013 1:17 PM   in reply to tommcgraw

is this a 10.8.2 anomally by chance? or a install issue.

That is hard to tell from only a few details in email I'm afraid but not seeing the user library is indeed an anomally…

For some odd reason (yes, like Windows seems to have a patent on this Mac also start with odd behavior…) Apple decided to hide the user library per OSX 10.7. But Adobe and other apps are using this for storing important data that you sometimes need to visit.

But here are a few tips about it.

There is a permanent way to let the library stay in view using Terminal and add Unix commands to it. this sounds more difficult and scary then it is in reality but if you google on hidden library for OSX 10.7 there will be enough easy understandable explanation.

For now you can try the menu go (when in finder) and use the option (alt) key. This shows the library and you can select it. Now you should be able to see the correct path.

When you have the user library in view click on the main folder (library) and use the get info command (cmd + i). This provides a window and on the bottom it shows something like 'share and permissions' (don't have an english system myself) and if you click on the little arrow in front it will expand.

Look at 'system and Admin' both should say read and write permissions. If not change it (you need the admin password for this.)

A new user account library is easy to create using the Recovery method. Each MacOs install creates a recovery partition to restart from. But before you start doing so read some more about Mac Os Recovery and be sure to have a proper Back up of your important files. Of course you already have done that but nevertheless…

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 5, 2013 3:07 PM   in reply to tommcgraw

problem solved... a sharing issue the whole time... a change to the applications folder to allow read access.  whew

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 5, 2013 3:16 PM   in reply to tommcgraw

Omke, Thanks for the help, and sticking it out with me... you are awesome!

the sharing that I believe did it was for the Application Support directory... wierd.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points