Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

CS6 - Will I notice a difference in speed/performance with only 512MB video RAM?

Jun 24, 2012 3:35 AM

Tags: #upgrade #cs6

With regard to PS CS6: I'm specifically interested in CS6's ability to utilize video memory to make PS faster, more powerful; but will I notice a difference in speed/performance with only 512MB video RAM?

Currently running PS CS5 on an iMac (Duo-Core, 8GB RAM, 512MB Video RAM).

Was hoping Apple was going to release new Mac Pro (been saving dough for a few years now). Since that didn't happen, sticking with current Mac setup for at least another year, and this includes a video card that only has 512MB memory.

Is it worth it for me to upgrade to CS6 with regard to speed/performace?

Any input would be appreciated.

Replies
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,829 posts
    May 24, 2010
    Jun 24, 2012 3:52 AM   in reply to Husky99

You need at least 1Gb video memory to make use of the new GPU accelerated features in CS6

From http://www.adobe.com/nz/products/photoshop/tech-specs.html

Mac OS

• Multicore Intel processor with 64-bit support
    • Mac OS X v10.6.8 or v10.7
    • 1GB of RAM
    • 2GB of available hard-disk space for installation; additional free space required during installation (cannot install on a volume that uses a case-sensitive file system or on removable flash storage devices)
    • 1024x768 display (1280x800 recommended) with 16-bit color and 256MB (512MB recommended) of VRAM
    • OpenGL 2.0–capable system
    • DVD-ROM drive
    • This software will not operate without activation. Broadband Internet connection and registration are required for software activation, validation of subscriptions, and access to online services.† Phone activation is not available.

* Some GPU-enabled features are not supported on Windows XP.

† This product may integrate with or allow access to certain Adobe or third-party hosted online services ("Online Services"). Online Services are available only to users 13 and older and require agreement to additional terms of use and Adobe's online privacy policy. Online Services are not available in all countries or languages, may require user registration, and may be discontinued or modified in whole or in part without notice. Additional fees or subscription charges may apply.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 24, 2012 8:00 AM   in reply to Trevor Dennis

@Trevor

You need at least 1Gb video memory to make use of the new GPU accelerated features in CS6

It says at least 256 MB in the requirements:

1024x768 display (1280x800 recommended) with 16-bit color and 256MB (512MB recommended) of VRAM

@Husky

I think you should use the CS6 30-days trial to see how it performs on your system.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jun 24, 2012 8:58 AM   in reply to Husky99

You'll probably not notice any problem or performance decrease by having 512 MB of VRAM instead of more.

Trevor may have misread the minimum specs:

1024x768 display (1280x800 recommended) with 16-bit color and 256MB (512MB recommended) of VRAM

Keep in mind also that some people are seeing problems not having to do with VRAM size; the display drivers are all being stressed by Photoshop's new functionality and the video card makers are working on updated versions.  Conroy's advice to try the trial version is good.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points