soulgate1
Currently Being Moderated

Ctrl+Z doesn't work

Jun 26, 2012 2:07 PM

after pressing Ctrl+Z Lightroom4 applies a certain preset instead of undo

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 26, 2012 2:24 PM   in reply to soulgate1

If that is true, then it's only on your computer.  What is happening that makes you believe Lightroom is applying a preset?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2012 2:31 PM   in reply to soulgate1

Ctrl + Z undoes the last step. If the step before had a preset applied, then that's what you get with Ctrl + Z.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2012 3:00 PM   in reply to soulgate1

Hmmm ...

Just curious: what is the preset? One of Lr's default presets? one that you created? Develop preset?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2012 3:30 PM   in reply to soulgate1

So when you did Ctrl + Z the preset "Vintage People" (I hope I read that correctly - the letters in the History panel were a bit small) was applied?

I have no idea why that would be so.

Have you closed Lr and tried again?

If it persists you might want to look into replacing the Lr preference file. The preference file can go "funny" - for resons unknown - and then is responsible for all kinds of "buggy and weird" behavior of Lr. Replacing the preference file takes about 5 mins.

See here how to do this: http://lightroomers.com/replacing-the-lightroom-preference-file/745/

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 29, 2012 4:22 PM   in reply to JimHess

I'm having exactly the same problem! And it just started today, so maybe a recent update/plugin did it?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 29, 2012 4:50 PM   in reply to bar_foo

If you google "ctrl + z not working" a lot of stuff comes up where this stopped working in various programs.

Also, ctrl. + z works (if it does) across many programs and in Windows itself.

From this I conclude that it is possibly / probably a Windows problem, not a Lr problem.

All of you who report that ctrl + z doesn't work in Lr do a simple test: does it work in other programs?

It would be a Lr problem only if it works everywhere but not in Lr.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 29, 2012 11:07 PM   in reply to soulgate1

soulgate1 wrote:

after pressing Ctrl+Z Lightroom4 applies a certain preset instead of undo

I used to have this happen sometimes (Lr3 or maybe Lr2), but I haven't seen it for a long time - never had a clue what caused it, or why it stopped happening. I did buy a new keyboard - maybe that was it...

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 29, 2012 11:18 PM   in reply to Rob Cole

There is also the possibility that they are old presets being used, not sure how this would affect the crtl-z but you never know!!

Personally I'd remove the Preference file and see if that solves the problem as a first step.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 30, 2012 3:43 AM   in reply to Rob Cole

I appreciate this almost certainly has litle to do with the OP, but it think it worth pointing out that the LR Ctrl-Z mechanism is “near perfect” not “absolutely perfect”.

There is at least one circumstance that is reliably reproducible which causes Ctrl-Z not to undo the last user operation and undo something else – in this case when a background export is run it fills the user undo stack with operations relating to the export and Ctrl-Z will not undo the last UI based operation.

http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/lightroom_the_un do_mechanism_is_effectively_broken_during_a_bulk_image_export

I do not know if other background operations or plugin tasks can exhibit similar problems.   

Apologies for adding noise to this thread, but I think it useful background knowledge around this.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 1, 2012 11:45 AM   in reply to soulgate1

I am having this same problem. When I go to edit>undo, it applies the cold autumn preset.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 1, 2012 1:05 PM   in reply to Clarkspeedy

If it happens when using the Lightroom menu (via the mouse), and not the keyboard (Ctrl-Z), then it's probably a Lightroom bug (as opposed to a keyboard issue). Perhaps Geoff's suggestion above would be worth trying?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2012 11:17 AM   in reply to soulgate1

This has been an issue for me on several different computers and from at least LR 2 until now-- if I use the program for several hours, it will do this-- and it's not just a key issue, it's a menu issue as well. A restart of the program should solve the problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2012 2:12 PM   in reply to FatherDougalMcGuire

I assume an Lr bug.

Begging the question why it used to happen to me regularly, now: never.

Something has changed, but I have no clue what.

Delete prefs file?- warning: you'll lose all your prefs if you do that ;-}

R

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2012 3:10 PM   in reply to Rob Cole

See here how to replace the preference file and keep your preferences: http://lightroomers.com/replacing-the-lightroom-preference-file/745/

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2012 3:26 PM   in reply to web-weaver

web-weaver wrote:

See here how to replace the preference file and keep your preferences: http://lightroomers.com/replacing-the-lightroom-preference-file/745/

Better than nothing, to be sure, but there are some things that may still be lost when following that procedure e.g. plugin bookeeping info...

Note: all prefs are ultimately recreatable, I think, but still: something to be aware of...

Also worthwhile to make a copy of the prefs file before deleting. Not just for backup, but it's a plain text file, albeit a bit cryptic, and so some prefs can be dug out of it, if need be...

R

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 24, 2012 3:48 AM   in reply to soulgate1

Exact same problem  (yay I'm not crazy)    It's intermitten too, sometimes undo will work othertimes it just goes nuts and selects a preset.  Very annoying.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 20, 2013 6:47 PM   in reply to soulgate1

I am having this same problem. I just spent a few hours creating a collection. Then, I accidentally chose 'remove from target collection', whilst all the photos were selected. Now I can't undo it! A preset is shown under the undo menu.One that I did not apply. It was doing this earlier today when I was changing some develop settings. All in all I lost a few hours of work and I am afraid to work on anything else!

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 27, 2013 4:45 PM   in reply to 4wards@gmail.com

I too am having the same problem.  CTL-Z does not do undo any longer.  Instead it applies a preset.  The menu edit-undo also applies the same preset.  Just happened.  Can't say I was doing anything remarkable before it broke.  I shut down and restarted, still broken.  Driving me nuts, but I don't have time today to debug.  Just googling around to see if there is a quick solution.

arg.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 12, 2013 7:37 AM   in reply to soulgate1

Still Happening even in the 4.4 RC1 release.  I just did a test, pulled out about 50 presets from my Developer Presets folder. And now the functionality is back.  So I'm curious people with this problem how many developer presets do you have?  And if quite a few does removing a large amount of them minimize the issue?

|
    Mark as:
    Calculating status...
    Mar 19, 2013 7:46 PM   in reply to soulgate1

Same problem here. Tried deleting the preset that ctrl-z was applying, but then ctrl-z just did nothing at all. Brought the preset back, and it's happening again.  Selecting 'undo' from the menu does nothing.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 19, 2013 8:12 PM   in reply to Paul T from NZ

You can email me with more details Paul such as OS, etc and I'll have a look into it for you. geoffwalkernzatgmaildotcom

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 6, 2013 10:49 PM   in reply to soulgate1

I have this problem as well! It is NOT an isolated occurence.
    I noticed it doing this after adding a bunch of presets to Lightroom that I found off the internet in various places. Maybe that is the cause somehow?

EDIT: I went and took out 1,238 presets which I had not really sorted through and just left in the ones that I use regularly and the rest of the presets that came with those "sets" so I have 341 develop presets now. So far no problems with the random presets getting applied when I use shortcuts AND Lightroom is MUCH faster...

UPDATE: It's back to doing it again and I haven't changed the number of presets or their settings. Guess I'm just going to have to restart Lightroom every two hours or so to keep it running smoothly. I sure wish Adobe would fix this somehow.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 9, 2013 1:39 AM   in reply to soulgate1

I am having this problem for the last couple of weeks, with LR 4.3 and now 4.4.

It doesn't happen at first, usually happens after some time, and start applying a preset when pressing Ctrl+Z. It also applies a different preset when Ctrl+Y is pressed. But If I save catalog, quit lr and load it again, all problem gone, until after some time when it starts again.

Everytim this issue happens, it applies different presets than the last load of the LR. Pretty strange.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2013 2:59 AM   in reply to soulgate1

I've the same problem using LR 4.3 on Windows 7. Undo (whether ctrl-z or Edit Undo menu) runs another preset instead of undo; ctrl-z works just fine in other applications. Thankfully for me closing and restarting fixes the problem, but I've encountered this problem almost every second day it seems. I only have about 60 third-party presets installed.

My sense is that this problem starts for me when I do several exports at once.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2013 3:37 AM   in reply to soulgate1

Hi,

Just to make things clear : Ctrl-Z is not an overall operating system function. It is an admitted rule that when a user hit Ctrl-Z in an application, the program should undo the last action. Whether the application actually does something when Ctrl-Z (or Alt-Bsp) is hit is a decision of the developer. The only exception is when the application uses some interface element provided by the operating system (e.g. an edit field) and when the Undo feature is built-in.

An Undo operation cannot be implemented without having a deep knowledge of the application internals. So only the application developer can code it. There's no idea of a system global Undo function triggered by Ctrl-Z that would work with any application.

So if Ctrl-Z doesn't work when editing an image in Lightroom there are only 2 possibilities :

- There's a bug in Lightroom

- Some keyboard utility (keyboard remapper) installed by the user is capturing the keystroke and doing something wrong that is fooling LR.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2013 3:50 AM   in reply to Samoreen

Samoreen wrote:

So if Ctrl-Z doesn't work when editing an image in Lightroom there are only 2 possibilities :

- There's a bug in Lightroom

- Some keyboard utility (keyboard remapper) installed by the user is capturing the keystroke and doing something wrong that is fooling LR.

By the way, I suggest that everyone having this problem looks at C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4.4\Resources\en\TranslatedStrings.txt (if the file exists) in order to check whether the Ctrl-Z key has been re-assigned. Non english speaking users should look at the file corresponding to their language.

Normally you should find this line in any TranslatedStrings.txt file (except for the english language - see below)

"$$$/Application/Menu/Edit/Undo/Key=Cmd+z"

If the file doesn't exist on your system (which will normally be the case for those using the english language because in that case everything is hard-coded), create the file, add the above line, restart LR and see whether this fixes the problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 14, 2013 10:41 PM   in reply to soulgate1

Same problem here.
    I have the same problem even updated to LR4.4 and this is VERY annoying.

i can reset it by restarting LR, but after sometimes, it appears again and you will never know when!!

It is very frustrating specially whn you do a lot of tweaking on a photo, after that, you try to undo a small step. BAM! POLAROID BLUE FILTER. and you are done.

sometimes even Exit does not work, it put a tick near exit and did not do anything.

it is simply not the problem of shortcut string. it is a problem of the panel.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 20, 2013 7:16 PM   in reply to soulgate1

I'm having the same problem since my last update a few days ago.  It happens by using ctrl+z as well as from the edit menu.  This is obviously not an isolated incident.  Any solutions? 

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 20, 2013 7:18 PM   in reply to epcadigan

Also, when I hit the page setup option from the file menu, another preset is applied!!!

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 21, 2013 12:52 AM   in reply to epcadigan

I've tried all the above option and at last ive put a feedback on

http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/ctrl_z_applying_ preset_rather_than_undo_changes_and_toolbar_malfunction

if u have the same problem, plz go and help push it by following post.

thanks!

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 21, 2013 8:52 AM   in reply to Tass Yu K.Y.

I was unable to post to the photoshop feedback page for some reason!

I restrated LR, which I should have done in the first place.  It does appear to have temporarily "fixed" the problem, but we'll have to see how long it lasts based on the comments of others.

I found that it was not just ctrl+z, but also ctrl+y, and the page setup function from the file menu.  Using any of these gave me a miscellaneous preset.  A different preset for each shortcut, but still a preset!

I agree Tass Yu, it definitely is annoying and slowed down my workflow since I had to keep going into the history menu to get back to my prior edits.

Help Adobe Please!!!

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 22, 2013 8:32 AM   in reply to epcadigan

I've been having the ctrl+z issue for some time now.  I'm not really sure how often because I rarely use undo now for fear of the preset being applied.  I have also had a preset applied when I clicked on exit.  As mentioned earlier the program doesn't exit, but applies a preset to the current image and a check appears next to exit.   One of the great features LR is the batch processing and I'm getting worried that at some point a random preset will overwrite a large group of pictures.

I can't believe this issue hasn't been fixed...

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 20, 2013 10:47 AM   in reply to soulgate1

I'm having the same problem now using LR5 - this is so annoying....

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 20, 2013 2:33 PM   in reply to Tass Yu K.Y.

I probably use LR different than most.  I'm an event photographer and create a new catalog for each event.  So if my catalog is broken, it's not as big a catastrophy as if I had one catalog for all my pictures.  Plus I have a very specific workflow that allowed me to figure out what, in my workflow, seems to break CTL-Z.

I can't live without CTL-Z.  I use it like breathing.  It makes me want to quit being a photographer when it's broken.  So my motivation to find ways to live with this problem were absolute.

Here is what I have discovered:

CTL-Z breaks (for me) only if I ask LR to do "too many" parallell tasks.  And if does break, a restart of the catalog fixes it every time.

A common example of "too many" parallell tasks would be:

- I'm exporting to jpg a folder of a few hundred images,

- while that is still running I export a second folder of a few hundred images,

- while those two are running I move on to a third folder and find I need to make a WB global change

- I hit CTL-A to select all, then hit CTL-S and sync white balance

and boom - CTL-Z is broken.  I then wait for the exports to complete, then reboot.

It's not completely consistent when CTL-Z will break, but empirically, it seems to be when I'm doing bulk operations during an export.

I find if I let the exports complete before moving on to anything too complicated, my CTL-Z remains functional, job after job (after job).

Maybe this will help someone else,

Trish

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 21, 2013 2:53 AM   in reply to trish.tunney

trish.tunney wrote:

It's not completely consistent when CTL-Z will break, but empirically, it seems to be when I'm doing bulk operations during an export.
    I find if I let the exports complete before moving on to anything too complicated, my CTL-Z remains functional, job after job (after job).

Maybe this will help someone else,

Trish

The ctl-z functionality is still (LR5) completely broken during bulk exports or publishing.    If you press crl-z whilst developing and have a background export or publish going then ctl-z "undoes" the recording in the images state history that it has been exported or published - this is applied to which ever image happens to have just exported when you press it - effectively randomly one of your exported images.   Not only does the undo not appear to work from the users perspective but also one of your exported images now has incorrect history information.

This has been raised as a problem some time ago here ...

http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/lightroom_the_un do_mechanism_is_effectively_broken_during_a_bulk_image_export

Alan

PS - My suggestion to the LR team was to record the export in the image history but not the users "undo stack" - aside from causing this problem it is not logically possible to "undo" an export or publish as LR cannot actually undo (ie unpublish) these operations.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 21, 2013 9:30 AM   in reply to AlanUniqueName

Brilliant Alan, thanks!

I KNEW it had to have something to do editing during my exports. Now you've got me wondering what edits I have undone right before delivering to my clients. Good thing I sit on my hands during the exports now. Fingers crossed some day it will be fixed.

Trish

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points