Jun 26, 2012 Jun 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

after pressing Ctrl+Z Lightroom4 applies a certain preset instead of undo

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If that is true, then it's only on your computer.  What is happening that makes you believe Lightroom is applying a preset?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 29, 2012 Jun 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having exactly the same problem! And it just started today, so maybe a recent update/plugin did it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you google "ctrl + z not working" a lot of stuff comes up where this stopped working in various programs.

Also, ctrl. + z works (if it does) across many programs and in Windows itself.

From this I conclude that it is possibly / probably a Windows problem, not a Lr problem.

All of you who report that ctrl + z doesn't work in Lr do a simple test: does it work in other programs?

It would be a Lr problem only if it works everywhere but not in Lr.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you for the reply, yes it does work in other programs. And sometimes it works in Lr, but sometimes this bug comes out

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ctrl + Z undoes the last step. If the step before had a preset applied, then that's what you get with Ctrl + Z.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

no preset was applied before

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm ...

Just curious: what is the preset? One of Lr's default presets? one that you created? Develop preset?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

its a develop preset

http://youtu.be/rCn8ZV1-04Y

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So when you did Ctrl + Z the preset "Vintage People" (I hope I read that correctly - the letters in the History panel were a bit small) was applied?

I have no idea why that would be so.

Have you closed Lr and tried again?

If it persists you might want to look into replacing the Lr preference file. The preference file can go "funny" - for resons unknown - and then is responsible for all kinds of "buggy and weird" behavior of Lr. Replacing the preference file takes about 5 mins.

See here how to do this: http://lightroomers.com/replacing-the-lightroom-preference-file/745/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

soulgate1 wrote:

after pressing Ctrl+Z Lightroom4 applies a certain preset instead of undo

I used to have this happen sometimes (Lr3 or maybe Lr2), but I haven't seen it for a long time - never had a clue what caused it, or why it stopped happening. I did buy a new keyboard - maybe that was it...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is also the possibility that they are old presets being used, not sure how this would affect the crtl-z but you never know!!

Personally I'd remove the Preference file and see if that solves the problem as a first step.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jun 30, 2012 Jun 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I appreciate this almost certainly has litle to do with the OP, but it think it worth pointing out that the LR Ctrl-Z mechanism is “near perfect” not “absolutely perfect”.

There is at least one circumstance that is reliably reproducible which causes Ctrl-Z not to undo the last user operation and undo something else – in this case when a background export is run it fills the user undo stack with operations relating to the export and Ctrl-Z will not undo the last UI based operation.

http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/lightroom_the_undo_mechanism_is_effectively_br...

I do not know if other background operations or plugin tasks can exhibit similar problems.   

Apologies for adding noise to this thread, but I think it useful background knowledge around this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 01, 2012 Jul 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having this same problem. When I go to edit>undo, it applies the cold autumn preset.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 01, 2012 Jul 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it happens when using the Lightroom menu (via the mouse), and not the keyboard (Ctrl-Z), then it's probably a Lightroom bug (as opposed to a keyboard issue). Perhaps Geoff's suggestion above would be worth trying?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 10, 2012 Jul 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has been an issue for me on several different computers and from at least LR 2 until now-- if I use the program for several hours, it will do this-- and it's not just a key issue, it's a menu issue as well. A restart of the program should solve the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I assume an Lr bug.

Begging the question why it used to happen to me regularly, now: never.

Something has changed, but I have no clue what.

Delete prefs file?- warning: you'll lose all your prefs if you do that ;-}

R

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See here how to replace the preference file and keep your preferences: http://lightroomers.com/replacing-the-lightroom-preference-file/745/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

web-weaver wrote:

See here how to replace the preference file and keep your preferences: http://lightroomers.com/replacing-the-lightroom-preference-file/745/

Better than nothing, to be sure, but there are some things that may still be lost when following that procedure e.g. plugin bookeeping info...

Note: all prefs are ultimately recreatable, I think, but still: something to be aware of...

Also worthwhile to make a copy of the prefs file before deleting. Not just for backup, but it's a plain text file, albeit a bit cryptic, and so some prefs can be dug out of it, if need be...

R

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 24, 2012 Jul 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exact same problem  (yay I'm not crazy)    It's intermitten too, sometimes undo will work othertimes it just goes nuts and selects a preset.  Very annoying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 20, 2013 Jan 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having this same problem. I just spent a few hours creating a collection. Then, I accidentally chose 'remove from target collection', whilst all the photos were selected. Now I can't undo it! A preset is shown under the undo menu.One that I did not apply. It was doing this earlier today when I was changing some develop settings. All in all I lost a few hours of work and I am afraid to work on anything else!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 27, 2013 Jan 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too am having the same problem.  CTL-Z does not do undo any longer.  Instead it applies a preset.  The menu edit-undo also applies the same preset.  Just happened.  Can't say I was doing anything remarkable before it broke.  I shut down and restarted, still broken.  Driving me nuts, but I don't have time today to debug.  Just googling around to see if there is a quick solution.

arg.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 12, 2013 Mar 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still Happening even in the 4.4 RC1 release.  I just did a test, pulled out about 50 presets from my Developer Presets folder. And now the functionality is back.  So I'm curious people with this problem how many developer presets do you have?  And if quite a few does removing a large amount of them minimize the issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 19, 2013 Mar 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here. Tried deleting the preset that ctrl-z was applying, but then ctrl-z just did nothing at all. Brought the preset back, and it's happening again.  Selecting 'undo' from the menu does nothing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 19, 2013 Mar 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can email me with more details Paul such as OS, etc and I'll have a look into it for you. geoffwalkernzatgmaildotcom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines