Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Flash player keeps asking to update

Jun 27, 2012 10:25 AM

Hello,

I am using Windows 7 64-bit; mainly Firefox latest version, although I have IE latest version and see monkey latest version also

Flash Player 11.3 causes Dragon Naturally Speaking voice recognition to crash. I needed to revert to version 10.3 Flash Player.

I followed the instructions "How do I do a clean install" and got rid of flash altogether. I then installed 10.3. I immediately set the Global Settings to not ask for updates. At least once during reboot I checked the "don't ask for updates" checkbox when a Flash window popped up.

I am still, every 10 min. or so, asked by Windows "Do you want to allow this program to make changes" where the program is Flash Player. I click "no". There is nothing to disable asking again offered. 10 min. later Windows asked me again "Do you want this program…", Where the program is Flash Player.

I don't want to upgrade. 11.3 is broken. How do I get Flash to stop bothering me? Nothing I have tried seems to work.

Thanks,

Barry.

Branched to a new discussion.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 27, 2012 8:24 PM   in reply to canalrun

canalrun wrote:

I am still, every 10 min. or so, asked by Windows "Do you want to allow this program to make changes" where the program is Flash Player. I click "no".

This is not Flash Player asking to update, this is Windows asking to allow Flash Player to run.  Allow it, and you shouldn't be bothered any more.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2012 10:26 PM   in reply to canalrun

And you definitely have auto-update disabled?

What is your full 10.3 version?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 30, 2012 7:43 PM   in reply to canalrun

Interesting.  What does it tell you if you click on Show details?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 1, 2012 10:09 PM   in reply to canalrun

Interesting.

Just to give a try: Do you remember where you downloaded the installer exe file for Flash Player 11.3? Delete that files and see what happens.

I assume you get this message when you don't view any Flash content in the browser.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 6, 2012 7:48 PM   in reply to canalrun

In Control Panel | Flash Player Settings Manager, tab Advanced, how are your Update settings?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 6, 2012 10:06 PM   in reply to canalrun

Sorry, yes you already posted these update settings.

Adobe is closed this week, so it will not be before next week that someone from Adobe can look at this.

Meanwhile, can you check with the Task Manager's Processes tab if you can identify what is running when these update requests appear?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 7, 2012 9:08 PM   in reply to canalrun

I am just a volunteer; Adobe staff have the Adobe logo as an avatar adb.PNG

and a "staff" badge beside their name cc.PNG

Can you run the Task Manager again, and check what you see in the Processes tab.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 8, 2012 11:01 PM   in reply to canalrun

Can you also check if the Global Settings Manager also has update notifications disabled: http://www.macromedia.com/support/documentation/en/flashplayer/help/se ttings_manager05.html

|
    Mark as:
  • Chris Campbell
    9,446 posts
    May 4, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 11, 2012 5:15 PM   in reply to Pat Willener

A couple of things to try.  First, let's try modifying your mms.cfg (located in c:\windows\syswow64\macromed\flash to add the following line:

AutoUpdateDisable=1

If this file does not exist, just create it using a text editor.

Next, open up the FlashInstall.log and paste the contents in a reply post so we can see if there's something else triggering this install.

Thanks,

Chris

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Incoming Links

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points