Skip navigation
mtbakerstu11
Currently Being Moderated

My MPEG-2 file is 23.98, but... "Blu-ray Object Value of FrameRateCode not supported in BD standard"

Jun 27, 2012 6:37 PM

Hello,

So I have trancoded a ProRes HQ 422 23.98 fps file to an MPEG-2 file at 23.98 fps, at a target bit rate of 24 Mbps, and imported it into Encore with an AC3 audio file.

However, I cannot get the MPEG file to author in Encore.  The error message is "Blu-ray Object: "<Untitled Timeline>Timeline, Error: "Invalid Index", code: "14", Note: Value of FrameRateCode not supported in the BD standard."

The file is definitely 23.98 fps.  Can anyone suggest what might be causing this objection in Encore, and how the error message can be rectified, (hopefully without having to re-transcode the MPEG-2 file...?)

Thanks,

Mtbakerstu

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 27, 2012 7:43 PM   in reply to mtbakerstu11

Since the error is complainng about a framerate not being supported, I'd look to see that your framerate is not in fact 23.98 (rather than 23.976).

What does Encore say is the transcode status of the video file under the BD column?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2012 9:32 PM   in reply to mtbakerstu11

What have you used to transcode the asset to 23.98fps?

-Ramesh.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2012 11:56 PM   in reply to mtbakerstu11

Would this app not transcode to 23.976fps?

I think you should stick to the Blu-ray spec which mentions the frame rate to be 23.976 fps which is not rounded off to 23.98.

Which version of Encore are you using and which version used to burn it correctly?

Encore uses the third party code to burn to Blu-ray and this time it may be the case that the third party has tightened the frame rate check and doesn't allow the rounded off value.

It would be great if you can share a sample asset with this problem.

-Ramesh.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 28, 2012 4:38 AM   in reply to ram8kumar

Ramesh, curious about this:

One of the sample files I used to see what Encore reports is the "Crib" m2v used for motion background of the Crib library menu. It is a "24", not 23.976, nor 23.98. Encore happily makes it into a 24fps timeline. I did not burn it, but it left me wondering what is "legal."

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 28, 2012 4:50 AM   in reply to Stan Jones

Hi Stan,

Encore has a feature called "Asset based Transcoding" for Blu-ray. You bring any Blu-ray supported file dimensions and Encore will create a timeline for that using those dimensions only. It will also transcode (if the need be) it using those dimensions in the transcoding preset. As 1280x720, 24fps is a Blu-ray supported file format, that's why it creates the file according to that. And also this file (crib file) is a Blu-ray compliant elementary stream, it is shown as Don't Transcode.

Thanks,

Ramesh.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 28, 2012 7:40 AM   in reply to mtbakerstu11

What is the setting of your timeline in encore?

Is it also 23.98fps?If yes, then you can try applying some other preset with 23.976fps. To do this, select the video asset, Right click it and choose Transcode Settings. There in the Blu-ray Transcoding area, choose the desired combination and click OK. Now the asset will be transcoded using this newly applied preset.

If the timeline is already 23.976, then you can check the frame rate of the transcoded file. The transcoded file is there in the project folder.

But the correct solution to me seems the re-transcoding of the asset from Premiere Pro(or any other encoder you have) to the correct 23.976fps.

Best of luck.

-Ramesh.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 28, 2012 8:14 AM   in reply to mtbakerstu11

I was really suggesting for the ProRes file. That is really a big effort. But first you can try applying some other preset in Encore to the MPEG file as suggested in last post.

-Ramesh.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 19, 2013 6:46 AM   in reply to mtbakerstu11

Hi Mtbakerstu

This Is BVC Productions From Birmingham England

All u have to do

Just change Your Projects setting before you export your mpegs

i have the same problem it resolves when i redo my mpegs with different project setting

My project setting before was 1920*1080 25p 16:9 then i change my project setting to 1920*1080 50i 16:9 and export my mpegs again after that encore works great no errors

the above setting i told you are for pal video for us its different

Hope this information helps you

Enjoy!

Best Of Luck

Bhamra Video Company

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 19, 2013 6:59 AM   in reply to stealdeals

1920x1080 25p is not a Blu-ray legal format, so you will obviously have problems with that.  I don't think that the problems encountered by those working with NTSC material will be solved by your method.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points