Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Importing XML

Jun 27, 2012 6:45 PM

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 27, 2012 6:45 PM   in reply to Community Help

Hi There,

I have multiples of XML data coming through for the same (very large) document.

This XML has been created from an online form database.

And as I am on a tight deadline I really need to import the XML as they are submitted but want to use the "Merge Content" option.

The only way I can figure out how to make it work is to have a template indesign file and as the data comes in, import XML and merge content. Then copy these pages and paste into the large document?

The reason why I can't append content then drag and drop the content into a box is because I can't figure out how to perfectly format the table I need using XML, but if I merge content it uses the previously setup table I have created in indesign.

I am hoping someone has a better idea?

Thanks in advance!!

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 9, 2012 6:47 AM   in reply to Steph87

It isn't clear from your description why you don't update the whole XML file and reimport, or have it linked in InDesign and update it. What are your criteria for the changes?

Look at the documentation for adding the aid: namespace to XML (using XSLT during import) to see if this might be useful.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2013 10:02 PM   in reply to Community Help

Hi there

I succeded importing xml in Indesign, but I still have table problem.

Images in table is disappeared. I did not know the reason.

I guess Indesign table model made trouble.

Thanks in advance.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2013 5:04 AM   in reply to contact@textree.co.kr

I would suggest reverse-engineering the situation. Make a table. In the table, make a paragraph and tag it with an XML tag (you can make one up for this test). Then place an image into a table cell. Select it and then tag as an image by using Autotag feature. http://help.adobe.com/en_US/indesign/cs/using/WSa285fff53dea4f86173837 51001ea8cb3f-6cf6a.html#WSa285fff53dea4f8617383751001ea8cb3f-6cf5a

Export the entire table as XML and view the result to see how InDesign writes the XML. Image file names in href value must start with file://

You can make a different tag map for images by checking the Tagging Preset Options and change the default Image tag to the tag name that you use for your images in XML (img, image, pic or whatever).I don't think you can change what attribute InDesign uses for image resource path, I think it must always be  @href containing "file" followed by the path - see @href explanation. http://help.adobe.com/en_US/indesign/cs/using/WSa285fff53dea4f86173837 51001ea8cb3f-6ce7a.html.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points