Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Memory Requirements for MXF

Jun 27, 2012 8:48 PM

Tags: #mxf

I set up my PC to run Pr CS5 two years ago with 12GB memory. Recently started using MXF files. I use the Adobe Dynamic Link on Encore to produce standard def DVD. The memory use of the PC runs up to 11.9 and Encore sometimes stops. I ordered new memory for my PC that will add up to 20GB. Will that stop the problem?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 28, 2012 1:47 AM   in reply to Francis Breen

Frank,

There is a significant performance difference between 12 GB and more memory. However, why do you go to 20 GB and not to 24 GB on your X58 mobo?

If you add only 2 x 4GB sticks, it can not run in triple channel mode, but if you get a tripack, 3 x 4GB, it will run in triple channel mode. That is assuming you currently have the first bank filled with 3 x 4GB sticks and add a tripack to give you 24 GB. Otherwise you end up with 3 x 2GB plus 3 x 4GB = 18 GB.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 4, 2012 5:11 AM   in reply to Francis Breen

There is a problem with MXF files and CS5 that no amount of memory will solve.  It is exactly the problem you indicate, where all the memory gets consumed over time.  It was solved for 5.5, but never fixed for 5. You need to either update to 5.5 or 6, or convert the files to another format.  I used Cineform, but there are other alternatives.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 5, 2012 10:03 AM   in reply to Francis Breen

You need Win7 64bit PRO (or Ultimate) to use more than 16Gig of Ram... do you have Pro?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 5, 2012 11:23 AM   in reply to Francis Breen

You should, since one of the selling points of Pro is ram over 16Gig

I have never installed one Windows over the top of another, so have NO idea how successful that will be

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 5, 2012 4:53 PM   in reply to Francis Breen

Sorry, I do not do BluRay, so have no idea what going from 16 to 24gig will do

Interesting that all you do is enter an upgrade key, and you do not have to do an install

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 8, 2012 4:26 PM   in reply to Francis Breen

i am in same pants! i also have x58 system. i use MSI x58m intel i7 950 3.07ghz......... in order to use more ram u need 64 bit OS but not sure if win 7 home or pro make a difference (i have pro). untill last week i had just 6GB ram - 1gbx6. and i had ram problems from day 1. in order to make my system stable i had to lower it to 800 mhz. i always thought my mother board had problems, but then, after i read that forum i found out that Micron core may have compability issues! and wow my ram was Crucial and its uses Micron. infact the company i bought parts from - exchanged me the monther board and video card 2 times, they also chanched the rab once, but seems like the issue was that it was same brand. Last week i finally decided to upgrade my ram, so i got - CORSAIR 4 GB DDR3-1600 - PC3-12800 - CL9 Vengeance x 3 - works like charm !

also got the new evga gtx 580 3gb card, instead of my old radeon hd 4890 1gb

unfourtunatly i dont use the premier yet - i bought it a year ago cs5.5 prodact premium, but never got a chance to learn it yet, already downloaded a few learning premier vids...

Anyway, my 1st update was GPU and later ram...... so i d like to tell that i use Corel video studio and mainly edit avchd files. I can tell that i got improovment after getting a new gpu - in program its self there was no huge improvment , but its for sure much easier to run with a mouse around a time line .... less respond waiting time, and also was easier to go backwards that with my previous gpu was almost impossible - terribly slow! but still it was not perfect. But after the RAM upgreade its all works just fine. AVCHD is not a problem anymore....

also before the major upgrade i can tell that my processor was busy around 90%-100% all the time....even during the time line work, but now its just 50-70%........and cooler makes less noise now!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points