• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I create a bookmark on Adobe Reader X?

Jun 27, 2012 Jun 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a lot of Engineering reference books in .pdf format that have no bookmarks to chapters/topics. Am I able to create bookmarks on Reader X or would I need the full acrobat software? Bookmarking these documents would make life a lot easier when sourcing info so any help would be massively appreciated!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 28, 2012 Jun 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can create bookmarks with Adobe Acrobat, not Adobe Reader.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 28, 2012 Jun 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a Javascript bookmark tool for Acrobat Reader. It's not quite the same as pdf bookmarks, but you might find it useful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 06, 2012 Sep 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I often use Foxit reader to add bookmarks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 06, 2013 May 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you cant bookmark, but you can highlight , and it will save

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 01, 2013 Jun 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While you can't create a bookmark with reader, you can add sticky notes.  To view all your sticky notes, click View > Comment > Annotations.  From there, just click on a comment and it will take you to the page the comment is on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 19, 2014 Aug 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I will give this a shot!  I was just about to try it but realized I'm reading a protected (read-only) Microsoft guide.  Ugh.  I will try later on another document, thanks for the idea!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 19, 2014 Aug 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You made my day. Thanks a lot !

Greetings Stefan Lalev

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 07, 2014 Dec 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's 2014 and this 'reader' still doesn't allow making bookmarks. Silly isn't it?

I'm also using highlights and sticky notes to save reading position on dozens of PDFs I have to open from time to time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 07, 2014 Dec 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It has nothing to do with the year... This is not a technical limitation, it's done on purpose. Reader is just that, a reader of PDF files. Adobe sells an editor of PDF files called Acrobat. With time Reader was given some limited functionalities such as adding comments, but editing the bookmarks structure is a whole other matter, and I doubt that will change any time soon (although you never know).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 08, 2014 Dec 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm... Then say iBooks is probably some kind of an editor that allows such an advanced feature as 'editing bookmarks'? As well as most other READERS on various devices that provide such 'pro extension'.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm only talking about Adobe software here. There are plenty of other PDF viewers/editors out there. You can use those if you want, of course.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, just like Adobe. Has a Pro extension (Acrobat Pro) for editing. Adobe Reader is free to get you hooked so you buy stuff, it is designed to leave you wanting more of course!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The original "freemium" app... 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mind you, if people are unaware, using Reader, that Acrobat Pro is out there waiting to be purchased, Adobe need to push it more. Pop-up ads anyone?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't give them any ideas, please... It's bad enough as it is with that Tools panel in Reader, which is basically one big ad for the various Pro products/subscriptions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am so naive that I'm using Adobe READER as my default PDF READER, and I expect bookmarks to be default functionality of any READER.

Pushing it to the paid PRO functionality is really nasty. Why not then push 'Open' function to Acrobat Pro: Wanna open PDF — buy Acrobat Pro!

---

Really without a sarcasm: there is a whole lot of convenient functions in Acrobat Pro, and I'm okay with the fact that it is paid. But bookmarks is really a BASIC feature of reading experience, its like scrolling pages, it's a feature of an 'MVP kind', I mean if you're making a reader — bookmarks should be there from the very start. And even more: it is SOOO easy to implement, that the fact it is from the 'PRO' set of functions is funny!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You're welcome to make a feature request here: https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines