MAFPhoto2011
Currently Being Moderated

Teather shooting w/Canon5dMrk3 into LR4.1 using snow  leapard or lion

Jun 28, 2012 10:29 AM

Why does it not work ?....still..??? I am using the latest Canon Firmware 1.1.3

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 28, 2012 10:38 AM   in reply to MAFPhoto2011

The 5d III doesn't yet tether in Lightroom.

See the official page:

http://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb/tethered-camera-support-lightroom- 4.html

Hal

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 28, 2012 10:44 AM   in reply to MAFPhoto2011

Yet it does tether in Aperture 3 ... so it doesn't seem it is a problem for Apple ...

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4176?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

|
    Mark as:
  • Victoria Bampton
    5,302 posts
    Apr 1, 2008
    Jun 28, 2012 11:04 AM   in reply to Butch_M

Butch_M wrote:

Yet it does tether in Aperture 3 ... so it doesn't seem it is a problem for Apple ...

That's like saying that a plane should automatically be able to fly in new weather conditions because a helicopter can already do so.  They're designed and built differently.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 28, 2012 11:29 AM   in reply to Victoria Bampton

Victoria Bampton wrote:

That's like saying that a plane should automatically be able to fly in new weather conditions because a helicopter can already do so.  They're designed and built differently.

I'll grant you that analogy ... and add ... perhaps it is high time that Adobe start building planes that can fly with helicopters ... especially considering that Lion has been on the market for nearly a year ... while Aperture and Lightroom are different ... I seriously doubt tethering is all that different in getting images from the camera to a computer's drive, then viewed in either software option ... then again, if the Lr team wasn't bogged down for two months struggling with two RC versions of 4.1, they could have devoted more time and effort for coding tethering for current popular cameras ... it's extremely disconcerting that instead of results, all we are presented with is excuses and are expected to muddle through and accept the absence of a valuable feature because Adobe can't make it fly ...

|
    Mark as:
  • Victoria Bampton
    5,302 posts
    Apr 1, 2008
    Jun 28, 2012 12:00 PM   in reply to Butch_M

LR's tethering uses the manufacturer's SDK, so they have to wait for the manufacturer before they start work.  Apple apparently work differently, but they only have one operating system - their own - to contend with.  I completely understand the frustrations, and I'm not making excuses for anyone, but if we're going to make comparisons, let's at least do it on a level playing field.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 28, 2012 12:27 PM   in reply to Victoria Bampton

Victoria Bampton wrote:

... and I'm not making excuses for anyone, but if we're going to make comparisons, let's at least do it on a level playing field.

Is it really an issue of an unlevel playing field? (wouldn't that be an excuse as well?) Or is it the decision making of the coaches involved and the efforts of the athletes taking the field? ... A corporation the size and scope of Adobe certainly should have the resources and wherewithal to create solutions rather than paint themselves into corners ... especially considering the user share that Lightroom has over Aperture even on Apple OS X alone ...

|
    Mark as:
  • Victoria Bampton
    5,302 posts
    Apr 1, 2008
    Jun 28, 2012 2:14 PM   in reply to Butch_M

Butch_M wrote:

A corporation the size and scope of Adobe certainly should have the resources and wherewithal to create solutions rather than paint themselves into corners ...

Perhaps.  Adobe make decisions and priorities based on all the information they have available to them, and we keep voting with our upgrade fees.  I don't claim to always understand the reasons behind the decisions, but they don't employ idiots, so I can only imagine that they know something that I don't.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 28, 2012 4:06 PM   in reply to MAFPhoto2011

Just a thought, did Adobe sell you your Canon 5D MK3?

Did you get software from your Camera Manufacturer that provides you with tether support on Mac OS X Lion?

If tether support for the Canon 5D MK3, from Adobe Lightroom was critical to the success of your buisness, then you should have ensured this was available, before making a purchase of the Camera or Adobe Lightroom.

The other option is to expect your Camera Manufacturer to provide you with software that does not require your dependencence on Adobe for tether support.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 28, 2012 6:28 PM   in reply to DdeGannes

DdeGannes wrote:

Just a thought, did Adobe sell you your Canon 5D MK3?

Did you get software from your Camera Manufacturer that provides you with tether support on Mac OS X Lion?

If tether support for the Canon 5D MK3, from Adobe Lightroom was critical to the success of your buisness, then you should have ensured this was available, before making a purchase of the Camera or Adobe Lightroom.

The other option is to expect your Camera Manufacturer to provide you with software that does not require your dependencence on Adobe for tether support.

Nope ... Adobe didn't help me in any situation ... I don't own a 5D MkIII ... but it is the same story for the Nikon D800 and D4 units I do use (funny how the whole issue seems to be an utter failure for Adobe ... not just a single brand or model of camera) ... so rather than disappoint my clients when I need to shoot tethered ... I use Aperture 3 ... rather than spend my time making excuses for Adobe by proxy ... is that what Adobe invisioned when they began to offer the tether feature? I don't have a problem using other software options ... I would think it should be of the utmost concern to the folks that "know" something on the Lightroom team that I have to resort to other options and abandon Lightroom in the process ... which only leads me further away from Lightroom on each endeavor when I have to seek out something that DOES work ... I would think that should be a big old red flag for those decision makers in charge ...

... and just for the sake of discussion ... I don't buy software, computers or cameras just for the sake of having the latest and greatest ... sometimes you aren't given the choice to defer an equipment or software purchases when it is time to replace something instead of paying a stiff repair bill or from a fire, theft or other damge or loss ... why would you not replace it with the most recent introduction? ... Or if you have to buy a new computer to replace an older unit that is failing or has already failed, why not replace it with with what is current? I don't know about you, but when I invest my hard-earned dollars, I don't like living in the past ... it's far too easy to fall woefully behind in technology without really trying ...

What's really funny is ... in one thread the regulars here impart their wisdom of how you need to keep your hardware and OS current to take advantage of the latest advancements in Lightroom/ACR and current RAW file support ... then in the next thread lament that some folks jump the gun too soon before the support arrives ... Gee ... I wish I lived in the perfect world some others seem to call home ...

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 29, 2012 9:24 AM   in reply to Butch_M

Guys,

I try hard not to get involved in these conversations by posting. In this case I am making an exception.

I have to say, while I am in the MKIII camp rather than the D800 camp, Butch_M has in my opinion hit

the nail square on the head. I will take this a step further. No one has mentioned the fact that every time

we update our software or equipment, either due to desire or necessity, we are very invested in a great

amount of personal time and expense. This is expecially true when we are using this software in our

business to make a living.  Many hours of OUR TIME is involved in every beta/update/installation. Everything

that no longer "works" requires OUR TIME to resolve. Clients do not want to hear that "we can't do it" or

that there is a delay due to whatever. They. do. not. care. Maybe by the same token, some of us, the core

Adobe customers, feel the same way.  It is an inevitable but unending cycle. New OS = X Ware doesn't work.

Buy new X = OS not compatible. New X Ware = OS not compatible.  OS update = X and/or X Ware no longer

work. X Ware update causes Y Plug In to no longer work. X company blames OS company and Y Plug In

company that all this occurs. OS company says X company is to blame. Y Plug In company usually grumbles

and just fixes their issues because guess what, they ain't gonna make any money if no one uses their

product. Bottom line, as a customer who relies on a product to get my job done, as a business owner who

knows that the old saying "time is money" is a truism, I. don't. care. why my time and bottom line is being

effected, I just want it resolved and I don't really care who's "fault" it is or isn't. If we take the TIME out to

test a beta product and give some requested feed back, I think we want more than "that ain't gonna happen"

as opposed to an explaination as to why/why not something does/does not work or is/is not feasible.

When a beta "just works" and then the subsequent release has new bugs, yeah, there is gonna be some

unhappy campers. Lastly, every software/OS will have bugs. It is the attitude and response of the vendor

regarding bugs or glitches that are reflected in the public/customer response to such issues.

Just my $.02 worth.

asu_chic

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 29, 2012 10:08 AM   in reply to asu_chic

Indeed asu_chic ...

For me, what I find to be the most troubling is Adobe loves to brag how much more popular Lightroom is than Aperture ... and how many more folks use Lightroom over Aperture ... see John Nack's blog post from September 2009:

http://blogs.adobe.com/jnack/2009/09/lightroom_vs_aperture_09.html

I'm sure even more folks are using Lightroom instead of Aperture today than when that blog post was offered ... up until my almost total disappointment with Lr 4 ... I was on that band wagon ... I still use Lr 3.6 for the majority of my workflow ... but I certainly am not as confident that Adobe has my best interests as a priority in the future development of Lr ...

Even considering that I personally don't think Apple is perfect and definitely have their own issues ... if one compares the lists of cameras supported for tethering in the two links shared earlier in this thread ... Aperture wins hands-down in that category ... it's as though the tethering feature is a complete afterthought for Adobe ... yet Apple does not think the feature is so insignificant for their customers ...

Everyone likes to point out the superior image quality that is capable using Lr 4 and pv2012 (and I concur ... pv2012 is quite good) ... but what good is all that processing power for the user who needs to shoot tethered and can't even get their images into Lr in the manner which they choose to get the job done? Then only to be told by their fellow users that Apple must be cheating if they can offer support when Adobe can't ... or that so few folks shoot tethered that supporting the feature is a low priority ... or best yet "Adobe didn't force you to buy an unsupported camera!" ... In my business, results matter. Excuses pave the way to failure.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 29, 2012 11:06 AM   in reply to Butch_M

Hmmm...

I certainly wouldn't buy a "business critical" new camera I "needed" tethering support for, on the optimistic (and perhaps naive) assumption that said support would miraculously arrive by some arbitrary timescale that suited me... 

Butch_M wrote:

or best yet "Adobe didn't force you to buy an unsupported camera!"

And yet, that really is exactly what it boils down to.

You're a pro, you need to take ownership of your business decisions. Even when they don't go the way you want them to, they're still your decisions. You chose a camera knowing full well that tethering support wasn't available at that time, and there's simply no basis for expecting Adobe - or any other software company -  to be working to your arbitrary timescales.

You pays your money and you takes your choice...

Re: Aperture, I imagine that the popularity gap between it and Lr would close significantly if Apple simply produced a Windows version.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 29, 2012 11:08 AM   in reply to Keith_Reeder

Oh ... Keith, Keith, Keith .... perhaps you should have read this thread more thoroughly ... I'll reiterate for you:

"... and just for the sake of discussion ... I don't buy software, computers or cameras just for the sake of having the latest and greatest ... sometimes you aren't given the choice to defer an equipment or software purchases when it is time to replace something instead of paying a stiff repair bill or from a fire, theft or other damge or loss ... why would you not replace it with the most recent introduction? ... Or if you have to buy a new computer to replace an older unit that is failing or has already failed, why not replace it with with what is current? I don't know about you, but when I invest my hard-earned dollars, I don't like living in the past ... it's far too easy to fall woefully behind in technology without really trying ..."

I didn't make the decision to buy my first D4 because I had to have the most recent DSLR available ... I bouhgt it because one of my D3 bodies was stolen ... should I have taken a step backwards and bought a used D3 because there were no new D3 bodies available for sale at the time ... just so Adobe could keep up with me?

Apple didn't think my early adoption of the D4 was a problem ... I can shoot tethered with Aperture 3 ...

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 29, 2012 11:17 AM   in reply to Butch_M

(ThereDoesn't change a single thing about the underlying point I'm making, Butch.

You could - for example - have bought a new already-supported camera, couldn't you?

Butch_M wrote:

why would you not replace it with the most recent introduction?

The answer to that is glaringly self evident: tethering support.

Shame there's no "Facepalm" emoticon, really... You made a choice, it didn't work out.

Still your choice.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 29, 2012 11:41 AM   in reply to Keith_Reeder

Unfortunately for Adobe the price of offering a tethering feature is that, right or wrong, you are going to be measured by the same standards as with converting new raw formats (Apple took a long time to learn that lesson!). It's no good anyone blaming the photographer - you've got to prioritize certain cameras and find some way to get tethering support out faster for them. If that means Labs releases, or opening up the area to 3rd parties via the SDK, so be it. JDI. I wouldn't be surprised if they weren't thinking that way too.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 29, 2012 11:42 AM   in reply to Keith_Reeder

What is self-evident, Keith, is you are continuously evading the issue ... I do have tethering support ... it just so happens that Lightroom is not that solution ... facepalm that my friend ...

Does all this bother you somehow on a deep personal level? For you seem quite determined to contribute such contrary comments no matter where I comment or what I comment about ... are you really participating in this thread because you have something useful to contribute ... or is your contrarian attutde your hobby du jour?

What you are professing is that I should allow Adobe's development schedule to rule all my equipment purchase decisions ... that's just not feasable or logical in the long term for ANY business. No business should allow a single entity to rule their entire business plan ... Every successful business should have a Plan B ... Adobe has developed some quite good apps over the years ... however, they are not so important, so vital, that I would allow my business efforts to be tied so tightly to just one entity ... hence my adoption of Aperture for tethering, slideshows, books and more ...

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 29, 2012 1:08 PM   in reply to Keith_Reeder

Keith,

I among others appreciate your excellent work and your obvious considerable contributions to both

the Adobe community and the photography community. I respectfully think you did not mean to

imply that a photographer should choose a camera to fit some current software rather than a camera

that has the attributes/features that the photographer needs for what ever genre of photography they

are engaged in, or that a business man/woman should spend hard earned dollars for such to take it

in the shorts via resale when some software finally updates for that intended purchase so they can

then spend additional dollars. It's one thing to go to HD and buy something for a one off to make a

tempory prop/background/widget, but to spend a few thousand dollars for a temporty fix is a little much!

To me this goes way beyond the tethering issue.  Any type of software that is marketed to professionals

in an industry should be just that, professional. We should not have to buy additional software to make

something work that is touted as being a working part of the product. Can anyone say Slideshow Module

1.xxxxxxx - 4.1.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx???? Book Module?????? This might be acceptible for Adobe Elements

users, but I doubt it. Tethering just happens to be a part of the total issue. We are all aware that with the

rapid expansion of digital/visual/computer technology there will be growing pains. But, should they always

continue to be the same pains over and over?? Hasn't someone made a rather sage remark regarding

repeating something over and over and expecting a different result??

Kind regards,

asu_chic

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 29, 2012 1:40 PM   in reply to asu_chic

This is a link that details the present position on tether support in Lightroom. Not a very inspiring read. Nominal support for a few selected Canon and Nikon models and one other camera. What the future holds is anyones quess.

http://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb/tethered-camera-support-lightroom- 4.html

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 29, 2012 7:38 PM   in reply to DdeGannes

Guesing? That's the whole problem ... we shouldn't have to guess about the future of Lightroom ...

If you had been paying attention ... that link was offered in the second response of this thread ... either you are part of the solution ... or you are part of the problem ....

Either you agree that tethering support should take the long haul ... or it should be addessed in a reasonable fashion ... linking to OLD NEWS ... doesn't help ....

Take a look at the first link I offered ... and you will see that more than twice as many cameras are suppoted for tethering in Aperture .... is that what you are referrring to?

I am becoming somewhat rather appalled by the attitude of my fellow Lightroom users ... so many who do not use particualr features seem so comfortable in attacking individual users on a personal level, rather than actually listening to legitimate concerns.

Should I have posted a sign on my vehicle when a theif smashed the rear window in a secure parking lot and absconded with my D3, a Nikon 24-70 f/2,8 and two SB900 flash units hidden in the back seat floor area under my spring jacket ... that said .... "PLEASE DON"T STEAL MY STUFF AS IT CAN TAKE ADOBE YEARS TO CATCH UP FOR TETHERING SUPPORT" ...

Seriously?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points