Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

FlashPlayerUpdateService.exe Application Error

Jun 29, 2012 8:18 AM

Tags: #flash #update #player #service

Hello.  I'm an IT guy and one of our users put in a ticket with screen shots showing an error message they get every single day when they sign on to their Windows XP computer.  The first error message says:

FlashPlayerUpdateService.exe - Application Error

The instruction at "0x7c9113c0" referenced memory at "0x00050005".  The memory could not be "written".  Click OK to terminate the program.

The user clicks OK and then this comes up.

"Adobe Flash Player Update Service 11.3 r300 encountered a problem and needed to close."  It then has the date and time of the error (which is when she logged into the PC) and a Send / Don't Send error report button, which we know are just placebos because sending these reports don't fix the problem.

What do you think is causing this?  I wanted to report the error not only to get help on it but to make the product better so future versions can be written to not have these errors.

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Chris Campbell
    9,456 posts
    May 4, 2010
    Jul 30, 2012 5:24 PM   in reply to KJSTech

Test builds have been distributed.  We believe we are on to a solid lead and fully expect that the next version of Flash Player will no longer have this bug.  Until this release is available, please see this post for details on working around this problem.

Thanks,
    Chris

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 2, 2012 6:42 AM   in reply to Chris Campbell

We are seeing this on multiple Windows XP machines as well. Chris, I sent you a request via email for the trial version.

Thank you.

Marc Hoffman

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 2, 2012 9:19 AM   in reply to KJSTech

And dont forget to vote!

According to this post, if you think this problem is worthy of Adobe's attention you should vote for it to be fixed.

I mean, unless the election is over.

Is the election over? Did this error win its way onto the Adobe support to-do list?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 3, 2012 6:51 AM   in reply to Chris Campbell

I received a test build from Chris (version 11.3.300.265). Initial testing appears good. I'll post back with more results.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 3, 2012 8:31 AM   in reply to Chris Campbell

I am also seeing an error every day, but not during logon. Below are the various error messages I received over the past few days:

Today:

An unhandled win32 exception occurred in FlashPlayerUpdateService.exe [8120].

Last night:

An unhandled win32 exception occurred in FlashPlayerUpdateService.exe [6312].

An unhandled win32 exception occurred in FlashPlayerUpdateService.exe [5868].

An unhandled win32 exception occurred in FlashPlayerUpdateService.exe [4276].

Yesterday:

An unhandled win32 exception occurred in FlashPlayerUpdateService.exe [5640].

Sunday:

An unhandled win32 exception occurred in FlashPlayerUpdateService.exe [5248].

Products:

Adobe Flash Player 11 ActiveX Version=11.2.202.235

Adobe Flash Player 11 Plugin Version=11.3.300.262

Windows XP SP3

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 3, 2012 9:06 AM   in reply to Chris Campbell

Hi Chris. I am experiencing the same issue with a couple of my users running Windows XP SP3. I have emailed you for the latest test build.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 4, 2012 6:26 AM   in reply to Chris Campbell

Hi Chris

I also have a xp machine that is having this issue. Could you possibly send me the test build as well?

Thanks

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 4, 2012 6:28 PM   in reply to Chris Campbell

chris

I am getting the same errors repeatedly. If you have  a test fix, please forward it as well. thanks

alan

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 5, 2012 3:36 AM   in reply to alan10573

I have the same problem everyday. Can you guys also provide me the trial version? Thanks in advance!

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 5, 2012 5:22 AM   in reply to KJSTech

Hi,

I also have a xp machine that is having this issue. Could you possibly send me the test build as well?

Thanks

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 5, 2012 6:10 AM   in reply to KJSTech

Unfortunately, the test build is not as successful as I had first thought. One of our test computers reported multiple crashes of the flash update service (about two per day since July 3). When the user was logged out, we received another strange message (I'm posting the screenshot here).Screen shot 2012-07-05 at 8.05.33 AM.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 5, 2012 10:23 PM   in reply to KJSTech

I am having the same problem on Windows XP SP3 machine

flasherror.PNG

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 6, 2012 8:40 AM   in reply to morrisprintinggroup

Seeing the same crashes as in post #11.

ActiveX - 11.3.300.257

flasherror.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 6, 2012 8:55 AM   in reply to Chris Campbell

Chris...we are seeing this occur on all machines that had the test build you gave us. Do you have any updates for us?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 7, 2012 10:19 AM   in reply to morrisprintinggroup

Hi.

I'm new here.

In the last few days I received this error every few hours. Sometimes it's very annoying.

I'm using the latest Adobe Flash Player in Windows XP.

Is there something that can be done?

Thank you.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 9, 2012 12:04 AM   in reply to KJSTech

Hi Guys I got same issue "AFTER I RUN CC CLEANER"

untitled.JPG

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 9, 2012 11:24 AM   in reply to KJSTech

We also have this issue.  It is very frustrating as it happens throughout the day.  Any answers yet?

|
    Mark as:
  • Chris Campbell
    9,456 posts
    May 4, 2010
    Jul 24, 2012 2:20 PM   in reply to Origin Micro

For those that are just looking for a temporary workaround, please follow these steps.

1. Open the Flash Player (32-bit) control panel in your Windows control panels

2. Select the Advanced tab

3. Windows Vista and Windows 7 users only, click the “Change Update Settings” button and select yes to the Windows confirmation prompt

7-15-2012 11-43-56 PM.png

4. Select “Notify me to install updates”

7-15-2012 11-44-33 PM.png

5. Close the control panel

If you continue to crash, the following steps will manually disable the update service.

Windows Vista and Windows 7:

1. Open your start menu and type “cmd”
    2. Right click on the cmd.exe entry that is displayed at the top of the list and select “run as administrator”
    3. Copy and paste the following line into the command window (click the icon in the upper left corner of the window and select Edit->Paste)

cmd /c sc config "AdobeFlashPlayerUpdateSvc" start= disabled

Windows XP:

1. Open your start menu and select Run.
    2. Type “cmd” into the Run dialog
    3. Copy and paste the following line into the command window (click the icon in the upper left corner of the window and select Edit->Paste)

cmd /c sc config "AdobeFlashPlayerUpdateSvc" start= disabled

Once complete, you should see the output:

[SC] ChangeServiceConfig SUCCESS

You can now close the cmd window.  The FlashPlayerUpdateService is now disabled.  Please let me know if the error occurs again.

If you've changed your Flash Player updates to "Notify me to install updates" you will get a notification within 7 days of a Flash Player update.  On Windows, the notification window will appear after a system restart.

I will make sure to update our Flash Runtime Announcements posts with details as soon as we've resolved these crashers.

Thanks,

Chris

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 9, 2012 7:56 PM   in reply to Chris Campbell

Chris, I tried ver 11.3.300.265 and still cutting out on wcn.com (wish I had a different site to give you, not all the cams have audio)...it might be a fluke but if I let it go, it seems to get better with time but not perfect.   I am running xp

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2012 2:48 AM   in reply to KJSTech

Same problem here too, any solution yet ?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2012 7:08 AM   in reply to Jusaa

Just adding, that we're experiencing the same issues on XP SP3 - 32 Bit.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2012 3:39 PM   in reply to Chris Campbell

Chris, Thank you for the link to the test build, while I'm testing I Disabled the service on my other systems as a temp fix until I make sure all is well with the patch.

|
    Mark as:
  • Chris Campbell
    9,456 posts
    May 4, 2010
    Jul 10, 2012 3:57 PM   in reply to I T contractor

Please see my post 3 responses up for a temporary workaround until we can figure out and solve this bug.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 12, 2012 9:42 AM   in reply to Chris Campbell

Thanks Chris, so far so good with the new version, No problems seen so far, I'm going to go ahead and patch five more machines and monitor them. Will keep you posted as of the statues

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 12, 2012 12:04 PM   in reply to Chris Campbell

So far, our two machines that were crashing seem to be ok with the work around...keeping fingers crossed

|
    Mark as:
  • Chris Campbell
    9,456 posts
    May 4, 2010
    Jul 30, 2012 5:26 PM   in reply to Origin Micro

Thank you to everyone that has volunteered to help us debug this problem.  We believe we are on to a solid lead and fully expect that the next version of Flash Player will no longer exhibit this bug.  Until this release is available, please see this post for details on working around this problem.

Thanks,
    Chris

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 13, 2012 6:24 AM   in reply to Chris Campbell

So should we turn "allow Adobe to install updates" back on ??

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 13, 2012 8:47 AM   in reply to Chris Campbell

So what is the latest version now? Is it 11.3.300.265? If so had problems this morning 7-13-12.

|
    Mark as:
  • Chris Campbell
    9,456 posts
    May 4, 2010
    Jul 30, 2012 5:25 PM   in reply to CNCtechBryan

Origiin Micro - I would recommend turning it on and seeing if your crash was fixed with 11.3.300.265.  If so, great.  If it still occurs, just toggle it off for the time being.

We believe we are on to a solid lead and fully expect that the next version of Flash Player will no longer have this bug.  Until this release is available, please see this post for details on working around this problem.

Thanks,
    Chris

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 13, 2012 4:11 PM   in reply to Chris Campbell

I get this error 2 or 3 times a day and guaranteed every morning . Running 265 .

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 15, 2012 7:40 AM   in reply to Chris Campbell

Chris,

I use XP Pro, SP3, IE8 and when you go to Control Panel, then click on Flash Player, then select Advanced Tab, there are bullets, one of which is the, "Notify me to install updates." 

Via your suggestion from post: 7/12 in response to poster: Origin Micro: your instructions are incorrect:

-there is NO "change update settings" and,

-there is NO "windows confirmation." 

So you are not talking about XP.

Then you say, "close Control Panel."  Now what?  Everything is still the same.

I don't know about anyone else here, but I am getting the Flash player 11.3 r300 error message saying it has to close and I am not even on the net. It pops up on my desktop.

And I just spoke with an IT guy who said that the latest flash player update was geared for IE9 yet I see numerous cases where this OS is equally affected.

All of this because I updated via a prompt from adobe and the update was from adobe, no third-parties. Additionally, the update did not and will not include the

plug-in. Yet once the download is complete, adobe takes me to a window saying the download was succesful. And even plays the confirmation flash screen.

Then I go to add/ remove programs and flash player is on the list, yet there is no corresponding file size and the plug-in is not even on the list.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 23, 2012 6:34 PM   in reply to Chris Campbell

I tried loading firefox for the 1st time and music worked on the current version of flash!  still not working with 265 on chrome or explorer.

[private data removed]

|
    Mark as:
  • Chris Campbell
    9,456 posts
    May 4, 2010
    Jul 15, 2012 11:30 PM   in reply to brianchaffee

@brianchaffee - What problem are you running into?  Is it the FlashPlayerUpdateService.exe crash?  Regardless, you are correct.  XP is slightly different.  In this case, go to the Advanced tab and simply click the "Notify me to install updates" option under the Updates section, then close the control panel.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2012 8:23 AM   in reply to Chris Campbell

We have had to resort to "notify me of updates"  After downloading newest version   .265   ..same problem back again.  I am leaving for vacation today, so I will be out of the loop for a week.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2012 10:33 AM   in reply to Origin Micro

OK with the update, resorting back to "notify me for updates" does not stop the error from occuring....Boss just got it again on his computer.....Now what?????  I am leaving soon for vacation and the boss is getting rather flustered....

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 17, 2012 2:25 AM   in reply to Chris Campbell

@Chris Campbell - Chris, every site I visit tells me the same thing: You need flash player to view this video. [Also, please refer to my original post where I dilineate all that is a problem on this end.]

QUESTION:

- how is it that I go to Adobe, click on and download latest flash player, then I am taken to another page where the flash mini-movie and worded confirmation that I now have the latest flash player and yet when looking in: Control Panel > click on Flash Player, it says ActiveX Player Installed/ Plug-In NOT Installed: Why doesn't the Plug-In install?

- even not logged onto the net, the 11.3 300r message pops up on desktop saying the flash player has to close, sorry for the inconvenience, etc., why?

We are all getting the same errors for the most part and dealing with the same problem.

I really appreciate you staying around here Chris, but it seems obvious you [and Adobe] do not know what the problem is. This is not to be unkind but citing a trueism. We are all unable to access flash oriented video one way or another. That is the problem.

So I do not understand your question you asked me above which was: "What exactly is the problem you are experiencing?" Answer: We downloaded your latest player and now it does not work at all. THAT is the problem. Across all browsers regardless. All this while html5 comes roaring up from behind.

What does Shantanu Narayen, Adobe's CEO have to say about this? How about your IT department?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 18, 2012 5:20 AM   in reply to KJSTech

@KJSTech: " I foget where the debug stuff goes or I'd try to send you something. I can't find that post."

Is this it?

http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/report-flash-player-crash.html

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers