Skip navigation
IPE
Currently Being Moderated

Link WebHelp to Air Application?

Jun 29, 2012 1:11 PM

Hi all--

I'm trying to figure out how to embed webhelp created with RoboHelp into a software app created with Air--or if it's even possible?

We don't want to use Air Help because we want the help to be part of the application and appear when the user clicks the Help button that has been written into the Air app. The developer I'm working with needs to know how to link the webhelp files to the Air application--or if it's possible.

I'm having very little luck here.

Thanks.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 29, 2012 2:02 PM   in reply to IPE

There’s a number of topics in the help about calling webhelp (and on Peter Grainge’s site too – see  www.grainge.org<http://www.grainge.org>); but I’m not at all sure how you go about it from within an AIR app.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 1, 2012 8:17 AM   in reply to Jeff_Coatsworth

Perhaps this link will help you.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/2503999

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 4, 2012 6:32 AM   in reply to IPE

Your issues are probably due to FF not working with the Javascript calls – you may have to enable JS to work in that browser.

As far as installation is concerned, if your app is written in AIR, then you’re already installing the AIR runtime on the client’s machine – installing the AIR Help after that would be simple; the same installer that the app uses would install the .air file for the help too – the user never knows that the installer has installed 2 things instead of just one.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 4, 2012 8:38 AM   in reply to IPE

Holiday was Monday for me ;>)

JS is enabled in the browser you use – WebHelp and AIR Help are the same in that respect; they both use JS to bring up the topics and do searches, etc.

If your app is AIR based, then the developer’s installer is going to first check to see if the workstation has the AIR runtime installed (a lot of machines already do); if it doesn’t, then it will try to install it first – it’s a freely licensed installer that you get from Adobe (you have to apply to them to redistribute it). Once the runtime is confirmed, then their AIR app will be installed; after that, the AIR Help gets installed. Launching the AIR Help in a context sensitive manner is dependent on the CSH call that the app makes to the help – there are a bunch of ways that can be done depending on what the developer wants to use. See CSH topics in the RH Help guide and “Calling Context Sensitive Help” on Peter Grainge’s website (www.grainge.org<http://www.grainge.org>) or Willam van Weelden’s  site (www.wvanweelden.eu).

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 4, 2012 12:25 PM   in reply to IPE

“…having the help launch when the help button is clicked.” IS a form of CSH – you’re just not calling a specific page within the help, just the main start page of the help file itself.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 7, 2012 12:00 AM   in reply to IPE

I'm not sure I am following what you have done.

The thread started with a post about an AIR app calling AIR help and now you refer to a Flex app.

You have an installed AIR app and are calling browser based AIR help. Correct?

Your post shows the path to that browser based AIR help calling it from a local drive. Browser based AIR help will only work from a web server.

@petergrainge

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 8, 2012 9:05 AM   in reply to IPE

Have I read that correctly that your customer downloads the browser based AIR Help and installs it on their local PC?

If so it is as I have indicated earlier. browser based AIR Help will not run locally by default. You could try the procedure outlined on Rick Stone's site. It is intended to allow Flash to run locally and browser based AIR Help requires Flash.

http://www.robowizard.com/RoboWizard/Tutorials/FlashSettings.htm

Bear in mind, each of your users will need to follow the same steps.

When you say the search is not working when you use webhelp, is that all browers or some?

@petergrainge

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 9, 2012 10:21 AM   in reply to IPE

I assume you applied Mark of the Web to run webhelp locally.

Beyond that, please post back the eventual outcome as it will surely be of help to others in the future.

@petergrainge

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points