Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

AVI file only plays sound, NOT video in Premiere CS6 and Element

Jun 29, 2012 10:11 PM

Tags: #premiere_pro #premiere_elememts_10 #import_avi #imm4

I tried getting this to work in Premiere pro cs6 or premiere element but it wouldn't accept this avi video file. When importing the avi file to either application, the file is imported but it shows up as an audio with no video. The video does play just fine in Windows Media Player. The file is archived as an avi file from a lorex dvr system with a codec IMM4. It is encrypted with the date and time which is very important to maintain.

I have tried the following, but same problem of no video, only sound persists.

1. Download the latest 32-bit static build of FFmpeg from here: Zeranoe FFmpeg - Builds
  2. Open the archive; you'll probably need 7-Zip since the archive is a .7z file. Extract the ffmpeg.exe file in the archive (it's in the "bin" folder) to the folder containing your AVIs.
  3. Create a text document (Notepad is fine) called "avi2mp4.bat" (no quotes) in the same folder as the AVIs, making sure to change the default TXT extension to BAT.
  4. Paste the following into the BAT file: 
      @ECHO OFF
    for %%a in (*.avi) do ffmpeg -i "%%a" -vcodec copy -acodec copy -f mp4 -y "%%~na".mp4
  5. Once you save the BAT file, double-click it; your AVIs will be rewrapped to MP4s without any conversion. The MP4s will correctly import into Premiere Pro.

I would appreciate anyones insight on this matter.

The following is the GSpot report on the file:

codec IMM4 gspot.jpg

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 29, 2012 10:51 PM   in reply to tfni

Have you tried using Adobe Media Encoder? You might be able to convert the AVI file to something else that may work. Worth a try.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 30, 2012 9:07 PM   in reply to tfni

Use footage form a video camera using a supported format.  That works great (mostly).

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 1, 2012 6:26 AM   in reply to Jim Simon

Jim,

She probably wants help ediing the footage she already has, not advice on what to do in the future.

Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 1, 2012 6:41 AM   in reply to tfni

Try playing the AVI files in VirtualDub.  It has rudimentary editing capabilities that might keep the metadata intact during export.  How will you play back the edited footage?  Will Windows Media Player work or will you need DVD or web playback?

Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 1, 2012 11:45 AM   in reply to tfni

This has been a persistent and annoying problem from CS4 on with Premiere and Abobe still hasn't fixed it.  It happens to me, even with AVI files I made with earlier versions of PP.

You might try this fix...open Windows Movie Maker and load the AVI file on it, then save it as a new file name and then see if PP will open it.

Good luck.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 1, 2012 5:12 PM   in reply to Jeff Bellune
    She probably wants help ediing the footage she already has

Granted.  I'm suggesting PP isn't the best tool for that job, and that if PP is the desired NLE, then supported formats are the way to go.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 25, 2012 11:06 AM   in reply to tfni

I'm having the same problem.

CS3 works fine with the avi files, but CS6 can't decipher it.

Very aggravating - I thought CS6 was supposed to be an improvement.

Luckily I have not uninstalled CS3.

One solution I found was using Windows Movie Maker to open the file and then save it to a WMV format.

That opened correctly in CS6.

It's still another step I didn't need in CS3.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points