Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Feature Request — If a Save to PSD fails because of image size, offer to Save to PSB

Jun 30, 2012 12:36 AM

Feature request — If a save to a PSD aborts when the file size grows beyond 2 GB, offer to save the file as a PSB instead of just displaying an error message and quitting.  Better yet, if the image is to big to begin with, make the offer before starting the save operation.  Similarly, if an image is too large to save to TIFF, offer to save it as a PSD or PSB.

When you’re working on large files, it would be nice not to have to redo a Save as a Save As to PSB after several minutes delay.

BTW, I tried without success to post this at the feedback site.  Once again, a dialog opened asking for a verification code that would be sent to me by e-mail, which in past attempts has never arrived.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 30, 2012 1:21 AM   in reply to cwcsdc

BTW, I tried without success to post this at the feedback site. 

So you have already tried over at?

http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/

instead of just displaying an error message and quitting. 

Photoshop quits without saving? If so something is messed up.

Similarly, if an image is too large to save to TIFF, offer to save it as a PSD or PSB.

I’m afraid you may have something wrong there, tifs can be larger than psds as far as I know.

Better yet, if the image is to big to begin with, make the offer before starting the save operation. 

How big a saved psd will be depends on how well its content compresses, determining that beforehand would probably be quite wasteful.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 30, 2012 1:44 AM   in reply to cwcsdc

Though I fully understand your request and it would be nice to have such a feature, any time your file approaches even 1 GB, or you suspect it will eventually hit 1 GB, it's time to think PSB and save the file as such.  It's just plain common sense.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 30, 2012 8:44 AM   in reply to cwcsdc

If PS encounters a PSD file that exceeds 30k pixels it will bring up the correct save function as a PSB. It probably can't calculate the 2gb threshold until it tries to save the file. But it does present an error message and shouldn't quit, unfortunately the dialog just directs you to read the documentation instead of simply saying that you should save it as a PSB. So this error message could be improved.

I'm not a fan of the feedback site either.  ( I guess I should post this feedback on the feedback site : )

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,471 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 30, 2012 10:18 AM   in reply to cwcsdc

Not a bad idea, though really what would be even better is if other 3rd parties would embrace the PSB format so we could just use PSB for everything and leave PSD behind.  There's almost no difference in size.  Here's the same file saved in both formats:

C:\TEMP>dir egb.ps*
    Volume in drive C is C - NoelC4 SSD
    Volume Serial Number is 00ED-C11E

Directory of C:\TEMP

06/30/2012  01:04 PM         1,411,420 EGB.psb

06/30/2012  12:14 AM         1,397,248 EGB.psd

In my case, I don't send PSDs to anyone, they just represent archives of my master work, and I will always have a modern version of Photoshop to read them with.  So if I could I would just use PSB for all master files.  Problem is, two 3rd party tools I like to use don't currently handle it:

• IrfanView
    • FastPictureViewer Codec Pack

Probably some day in the future they'll work.  I encourage you to write to the people whose tools you'd like to see be able to read PSB to implement support.

See also this thread:  http://forums.adobe.com/message/4393244

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 1, 2012 2:11 AM   in reply to MacWright

unfortunately the dialog just directs you to read the documentation instead of simply saying that you should save it as a PSB. So this error message could be improved.

That’s true.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points