Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Tiger Woods Wins at Congressional

Jul 1, 2012 5:29 PM

Well, it looks like Tiger Woods has regained a bit of his old form. By winning at Congressional in the AT&T, he has now surpassed Jack Nicklaus on the PGA Wins list, w/ 74, and is now in second place behind Sam Snead w/ 82.

He is also number 1 in Fed-X Cup points, passing Jason Dufner.

While I am far less a fan of Woods, than I was just a few years back, due to activities off the course, I have to say that he is certainly one of the best, who has ever played the game.

I made a comment, not THAT long ago, that he would not win another "major," and he almost made me eat my words, at the US Open. If I was incorrect about that prediction, then so be it. I do not think that he can touch Nicklaus' record of majors' wins, 18, but might even be wrong about that too. At 14, and with maybe another 24 majors ahead of him, I suppose that it is possible.

Maybe The Open Championship (British Open) will be a test of my prediction? Royal Lytham & St. Annes could be a worthy test for Woods, and depending on the weather, could close out 2012 with no "majors" for him.

He IS making a comeback, but I wish that he was not "coming back," from what he is.

Hunt

PS - not sure what the deal is, but this is the third time, that I have tried to post this. No errors, no warnings, just an offer to take me to the forum, that I tried to post to, or the main forum page. Odd. If it gets posted multiple times, I'll see that others are deleted.

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 2, 2012 6:59 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

198 yards...I woulda been looking at my 3 driver...and woulda probably sliced over to the large green frog statue on the miniature golf course on the other side of the parking lots.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 2, 2012 9:17 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

==========

I have hit my 9-iron between 3 and 150 yards, but I think of it as my 132 yd. club.

===========

hmmm... I think of it as my 110 or 120....but since I just got back into playing ( not swinging full swing yet...full 'speed' so to speak ) I kinda think of it as my 90 - 100.... I'm sorta playing one club 'up'...on everything...so if I want to go 110 I use an 8 instead of the 9...with my little girl swing...it sorta works out.

however, although distance is pretty accurate with being a club off and a girly swing....I can be anywhere from 150 degrees to the left or right of the target....hence my now fond familiarity with mr. green frog and all the kids playing there....as I usually buy them an ice cream cone to make them stop crying and rubbing the bump on their head from my errant ball....

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 2, 2012 9:25 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Heck, the longest club in my bag is my 60 degree lob-wedge... when I skull it from just off the green!

lol. Ain't that the truth!

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 2, 2012 9:26 AM   in reply to able123

addendum:

If anyone is standing anywhere within that 150 degree " cone " in front of me I now have to use my " air horn " warning ( the family who owns the golf course won't let me on the course without they first give me the air horn ).

This blast from the air horn usually makes anyone in front of me in the cone of danger beat the standing high jump record....and they clear out pretty quick !

I played yesterday ( short course ) and it was like 95 degrees with about 85% humidity....this is a very hilly course ( I sing " The Bear Went Over The Mountain ' as I pull my hand cart along ).  When I got back to the clubhouse near the 1 hole T off...some guy that was about to start playing saw me and exclaimed , " OH MY GOD ! "

Apparently I looked like ' The Swamp Thing '....from sweating so much....boy was I glad to get into my air conditioned car !

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 2, 2012 9:46 AM   in reply to able123

its probably a good thing we dont play together Bill, cause if I saw you skull a ball into the water I would probably fall down laughing on the ground...out of control...

This has no bearing on whether or not I did any 'better' ...and your own laughing hysterics after seeing some of the mystery of my own shots become part of " golf history " ....it's just that I find some things hilarious spontaneously...

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 2, 2012 9:56 AM   in reply to able123

Wouldn't it be cool to have a "golf " get together for adobe users somewhere for a weekend sort of thing ?... Like, one day of play on a fairly easy course ( not pga type course ...something a bit more forgiving )... and another day of demonstration of product etc and general sorta " yappin together about stuff " ... I don't mean drinking and eating etc...but you know...some cool interaction relative to product(s) and workflows etc... ??

Make it so the wives and girlfriends and mediocre players etc can enjoy playing without pressure, and wrap some good interaction things at some hotel regarding adobe product(s) re: premiere pro and suites etc. ??

Crazy idea.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 2, 2012 9:59 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

this is pretty funny stuff !

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 2, 2012 10:59 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

yeah, thats a nutty idea...but could be cool... but then again, could be nuts.

basically it's usually some sorta " joining" of parties for that kinda get together....

eg. my ex-union sponsors golf tournament and producers and crews get together...sorta a cool get together where contract issues that sometimes clash are not part of the mix for that day...more of a get together just as people.

with something like software development ( adobe) its more complicated. you got the basic ceo 'strategy' for direction of company plus the users of product(s) ( in this case a myriad of stuff...internet, smart phones, editing suites, graphics etc ).. to 'produce' end results for consumers ( producers, art directors, etc )...then the sale of that to tv stations, theatre, etc ( distribution )...so its way more complicated.

hmmm...oh well.. like I said... a dumb idea.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 3, 2012 6:43 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

hmmmm

I don't think adobe should sponsor anything at all...re: golf tournament and "convention"...except maybe the initial golf course reservation..maybe not even that.

members of forum could just form their own 'group' to collect money for the event...could include maybe some of those local user groups that meet every month etc...

that 'group' would decide what the 'convention' day would demonstrate and discuss etc...so it's clear from beginning what programs and work flows would be demonstrated and or discussed etc...so everyone would know if their interests would be met or not, and what time(s) that stuff would happen.  So it's worked out so a demo on sound program(s) dont happen at same time as image editing or whatever...no conflicts in timing if possible...and cram all that into one day... like 8am to 6pm with a one hour lunch.

so let's say a person pays for 2 day thing...golf first day, convention 2nd day... one night at hotel ( with option for 2nd night up to individuals ).. if the interest appears to be about 150 people...could that many T off in fours and do a 18 hole course in one day OK do you think ??

price of ticket would include golf, golf prize ( money and one of those tournament statue things...whats it called...'trophy' ). The trophy could be done by adobe through their office so the same trophy is done for each year, because this would be so popular it becomes an annual event !

Sooo, ticket also includes convention room rental at hotel and some basically " bare bones" pay for some of the equip and demonstrator salaries etc...the cost to do that stuff...

Also lunch included, some sorta meal after golf ( along with trophy presentation and drinks etc )..

I'm thinking it would only cost people about a gazillion bucks each ... not including airfare and golf club transport etc.

maybe I'll just stay here and play with the green frog and windmill on the kiddie course !

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 3, 2012 8:27 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

========

Most of the tournaments on the course behind me, are about 60 golfers, so they arrange them over the first 9, for a shotgun start. That allows them to book tee-times, up until the point that the last regular foursome has cleared #9

=========

could you explain that ?? I dont get it ?  last t time from 1 is when first foursome finishes 9 ?  how could you know that before hand ?

whats a shotgun start ?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 3, 2012 10:15 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

PS - you might hear it said that with a "scrambles," no one ever has to play out of a bunker. Well, in general, that is often true, but in two tournaments, we had to play out of a bunker, as the other three shots were so bad! Should not happen, but it does.

==========

omg...that must be when the longest drive was to the green frog...with a horrendous slice....and everyone else ( though shorter ) was happy not to deal with the frog and the best of 'those' was in a bunker...

wow, this is way more complicated than I thought. reminds me of poker and 'baseball', 'high / low " and all that crazy stuff...

also, i wasn't thinking in terms of foursomes being 'teams' in and of themselves...like mini teams within the whole competition.

what if you get ME in your team and you know I hit to the green frog a lot... would you wait until there is a real wide fairway and let me T off and pray it is still somewhere on the course ....and then deliberately hold your club about halfway down the shaft and drive .... ??? so I get my 4 t shots ??

hmm... this is way more fun than I ever imagined !

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 3, 2012 11:34 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

well.. I hope I keep this love I have for this silly sport ( or game ? ) now... as it is getting me in shape physically and also is a mental challenge and coordination challenge that makes me focus a lot....

sometimes that focus is on " me vs the stupid blade of grass near my ball "... so I get into "nature" ....

Or I think something like , " for the shotgun start, why don't I shoot that goose straight out...and we eat it at end of tournament...and then we don't have to worry about it getting lead poisoning later on by eating the pellets ? "

stuff like that...

I'd rather do that...play golf... than be frantic going to work on the local highways and running over squirrels and hitting deer and so on... thinking I'm " on a mission from God " ...to make money.

So bring on the green frogs IMO...and teach kids how to play and be honest with their own challenges...and not lose their tempers when their bodies do weird things opposed to their mental picture of the future... that swing that dips the shoulder for some unknown reason...

ACK !

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 4, 2012 10:18 AM   in reply to able123

just got back from another short course round... looked like the swamp thing again afterward...and I think I saw an egret following me for a while there...

hit my first good 1 wood for a 211 yard par 3... actually screwed up the putt and got a 4...

But I'm definitely getting 'better' ....finally...

but my body does weird stuff.. in beginning was dipping right shoulder and screwed up some shots that way...finally got it fixed... had fun anyway.

Bill, thanks for all that info about the shotgun start and how all that works... it is nice to know.. now I can see how you could have a bunch of people play in a tournament and so on... very cool .

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 4, 2012 11:45 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

hmmm... the airhorn has traditionally been used by " me " to warn people when I am using something longish.. like drivers etc. so they can take cover. I'm not sure I wanna share my airhorn with the starter... might confuse people...

I think Jim would be fine as the starter as long as:

a) he has shotgun at #1 ( nothing larger than a 12 gauge )

b) nobody at #2 is a mac user

c) nobody near the #1 hole is a mac user ( as he might load it with a slug instead of birdshot )

d) shotgun has a short barrel and no scope and only one load.. and he has to give it up after starting the game.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 4, 2012 11:49 AM   in reply to able123

I'm thinking Jeff should be a " judge" ... making sure everyone has a collar on their shirt.. no steel spikes and no bad language ( and no unnecessary metaphors ) ... no rubber snakes ( that might be dropped near the greens by unscrupulous teams ).. etc....

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 5, 2012 11:52 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

If I am in front of you, Bill, Don't be surprised when you find THIS near your next green.....

snake.jpg

whoops... musta accidentally dropped my 'rubber snake'...sorry...

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 5, 2012 7:12 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

OK, I'm now planning the "frog surprise" for your team....

The first one pictured actually JUMPS on my command...will probably turn everyone's hair white instantly when that happens just as you approach the # 3 green...( will hide this frog in the sand trap behind the green ....or maybe somewhere else....you won't know until it JUMPS ! )

frog1.jpg

Then there's this other frog... which is too big to fit on golf course, so I'm thinking around dawn at the hotel...when you open the curtains to have your morning coffee.... this thing is lingering outside your window ....and makes a frog-like growling noise ??

frog2.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 7, 2012 7:31 PM   in reply to able123

I just came back from the local equiv of some 'east hampton' hangout in MN...where I now live.

They didn't know what 'compari and soda' was ... and i ended up with a tanguarey (sp? ) martini ...up with olive...and have to admit that by the time I saw the olive swimming there I was wondering if I could actually drive 3000 yards home and not be considered " wrecked".... so I didnt finish the dregs and here I am...safe and sound.....

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 8, 2012 6:03 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

ya, compari and soda... about half and half try first...its a nice summer drink... and not much alcohol...also soothes upset stomachs for some people...like me...

martini's are dangerous... the first time I had martini some nutty friend I was with suggested I try a 2nd one, and I was wrecked  before I knew what hit me... 

I used to like cognac but now its just beer for me..and that is getting less 'often' and less quantity.. as I get into better shape out here...riding bike and golf etc...

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2012 7:36 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

ya, summer type drinks, kinda light and refreshing... are cool...

when I was in college I worked too... and one job was as a bartender at some restaurant / bar on east side nyc ( 27 and lex ) near the publishing houses... that crowd liked ( lunch crowd ) these sorta 'european' summer type drinks and the compari and soda was one they liked...( roughly half and half ).. and this was another... called "Kir ".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kir_%28cocktail%29

My bartending days were numbered, as I had no clue what half the drinks were these people ordered and had the bartender guide in my back pocket the whole time I worked there. Not only did I not know the drinks for customers at the 'bar' but the waitresses and waiters would order stuff really fast and half the time I had no clue what they just said to me. I knew in my heart I was doomed !  Somehow I managed to sweat my way through it and learn pretty quick ( sometimes with nice customers giving me tips and so on ).  If you want to imagine something really really hilarious... think of me mixing cocktails and so on for about 1000 customers at the same time...with people yelling and waving their arms at me...

edit...

and of course you know about pernod... in the old days it had absynth in it..and there may still be some made with absyth in turkey or some place...but I kinda doubt it..in 1972 you could get pernod made somewhere that still had the absynth but not in the USA or most of Europe.

Anyway, about 1/5 pernod and the rest water is pretty refreshing... another 'summer' sorta drink.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2012 9:40 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

yep.. I would say, creme de cassis, for the " Kir ", pernod for a licorice flavor burst, and compari ... should do the trick ...

Chics dig it, and West Europeans, and some ny guys too wimpy to drink the hard stuff....

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2012 10:45 AM   in reply to able123

Bill,

went to the driving range at "Deer Run" ( public course that is supposed to be 6 miles from "mound, mn ". )

I musta drove ( this area is new to me ) 60 miles to get there...meandering around about 150 lakes on very curvy roads....

just kidding, but sorta not kidding either...yikes, if I was a fish this place would be perfect for retirement.

Anyway, driving range was cool... and the course looked good...what I saw of it... and I hit about 35 balls in 5 minutes and started sweating like 'the swamp thing' and also decided this was not the day to do the 18 hole course nearby... too hot and humid. Plus I need time to sorta let my body get used to all this new exercise or maybe I will explode or something unpleasant....

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)