Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Is Illustrator a good choice for simple diagrams?

Jul 1, 2012 8:11 PM

I occasionally need to draw simple diagrams - such as an electrical schematic or just basic illustrations of various projects.

Currently I need to draw a layout that shows prospective positions of buildings on a plot of land. Again, just simple stuff - rectangles, some curved lines to represent the access lane, etc. I could easily do it by hand, but there are advantages if I do it digitally.

I have Illustrator 10, but have not used it yet so I don't know if it's appropriate for this type of work. I want something that doesn't require a lot of time to learn as I am slow to take to software. I do know Photoshop fairly well, though.

Is Illustrator a good choice for what I need or is there a simpler (free) drawing program that would be easy to learn and be more appropriate for my needs?

Thanks for your help.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 1, 2012 9:21 PM   in reply to ixodid

Yep, its great for it. place your guides where you want them, alt drag your object to make a copy. Yeah, it can make quick work of doing layouts. I recently did something similar to create a family tree. Alt draged the lines, to reduce time creating them, then alt dragging the name and altering the name. Then I didn't have to worry about text formating as it was already done.

So Create the shapes you need, then alt drag them to where you want them.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 1, 2012 10:23 PM   in reply to ixodid

The answer is yes and no it depends on you.

Illustrator 10 is quite old and I am guessing you have old system as well.

There is a free progam that you might find eaiser to use or you might find it harder, again it depends on you.

The application is called Inkspace it is free do search for Inkspace then compare the two programs and see which one you like.

Or you cn also download the trialversion of AI CS6 as well and then compare all three. You have to check Inkspace's system rquirements as well as AI CS6's requirements.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 2, 2012 10:29 AM   in reply to ixodid

That would be Inkscape (not "Inkspace"). Go to www.Inkscape.org.

Unlike Illustrator, Inkscape at least includes a few features amenable to diagrams (connector lines, dimensions, live shape primitives). Assuming you are on Windows, you can download it as either an installer or as a standalone portable application. Simple to use. If you're not already familiar with Illustrator, Inkscape's learning curve will be comparitively easier. Many things common to diagrams have to be accomplished by unintuitive workarounds in Illustrator.

JET

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 2, 2012 3:58 PM   in reply to JETalmage

Inkscape can be downloaded for the mac as well and works fine on the Mac.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 2, 2012 7:00 PM   in reply to Wade_Zimmerman

Read it again. I said ...or as a portable app...

JET

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 2, 2012 8:03 PM   in reply to JETalmage

I read that I wanted to note that it works on the mac as well.

Why is every thought different from yours an issue of contention?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 3, 2012 10:11 AM   in reply to Wade_Zimmerman

I think one of the best diagram type apps is MicroSoft's (they bought it) "Visio".  Easy to use. Mostly drag'n'drop. Lots of features.

But unless you use it enough, the $$ cost is a concern.

Has elec. symbols available. Has many engineering symbols.  Good user forum.

Does great flow charts.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points