Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RoboHelp 9 WebHelp Project Only Displays 

Jul 02, 2012 Jul 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi - I generated a WebHelp project using RoboHelp 9 and put it on a Windows IIS server. When I go to the URL, it displays only this: chars.jpg

If I go to the individual topic files, they display correctly. If I double-click the index.htm file on my local drive, it displays correctly.

I've seen some postings about this type of issue, but not exactly the behavior I'm seeing. I've only seen fixes for an Apache server, but we use Windows. I'm hoping someone has a suggestion.

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Jul 02, 2012 Jul 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, this happens using FoxPro or IE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 05, 2012 Jul 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is exactly what you see with the issue on an Apache Server. You haven't said which posts you have seen so let me post how I respond. You will note that one person reported it worked on Windows and added some notes.

This is what I was advised by the company hosting my site.

"I would therefore conclude that the solution to this problem (on Linux systems running Apache) is to add the AddDefaultCharset utf-8 directive to either the Apache config or the site .htaccess file. The advantage of the latter is that it only affects individual sites. The default Apache character set is taken from the locale file on Linux and defaults to iso-8859-1. It is the conflict between the Apache header with iso-8859-1 and the page character set of utf-8 that obviously causes Firefox a problem."

In a forum post Chrissy_Tissy added

My machine is Windows, but this fix still worked  - some notes about making the fix visible:

1. Do the fix itself (httpd.conf: AddDefaultCharset utf-8).

2. Restart the box to apply the fix.

3. Once the box is restarted, clear your cache in FireFox to make sure you don't continue to see the cached file.

Once all this is done you will see the output content as expected.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 05, 2012 Jul 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi - Yes, I know this is what you see on the Apache server. I have seen the post that you reference here. The only problem is that a Windows IIS server does not have an httpd.conf file. I'm not sure what this post from Chrissy_Tissy is talking about when she says "my machine is Windows" maybe she's talking about the machine that she's running the help file from.

Either way, this help does not fix the problem when the files are on a Windows server because there is no httpd.conf file. If there is an equivalent fix for a Windows server, I'd appreciate seeing it.

thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 06, 2012 Jul 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I cannot help with the question you ask about the equivalent file. I'm guessing but can you check somewhere the server is configured for utf-8?

Also in the dialog where you generate, you can set encoding other than utf-8. Perhaps another option there would help?

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp