Skip navigation
JAFlint24
Currently Being Moderated

InDesign crash when updated from InCopy

Jul 3, 2012 12:36 PM

We have had a recurrent problem with InDesign crashing when trying to update files that have been edited in InCopy. We can work around the problem by finding the few (sometimes one, sometimes several) ICML files that are causing the crash and unlinking. We can then re-export and continue on our merry way. We have tried the requisite deleting of preferences, exporting to IDML, etc., but those things do not help.

Support has not been helpful so far, even saying that they do not recommend using these programs over a network!!! I hope that's a miscommunication issue.

Digging a little deeper, everytime it crashes, it generates a ProtectiveShutdownLog: this log shows 4 APLN that did not load (see below). (This could be correlation, but not causation) Hoping someone from Adobe can jump in and offer some real support.

Adobe InDesign Protective Shutdown Log

06/27/12 08:38:45

Unhandled error condition

Session started up at 8:37 AM on Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Version: 7.5.3 - Build: 333

Error Code 0x20705: "The content is locked and cannot be modified."

Called to process command 0x21a

Command Processor Stack (from top to bottom):

9. Command 0x13513 "Create Hyperlink Text Destination"

8. Command 0x7304 "Import File"

7. Command Sequence "Import File"

6. Command 0x730a "Import File"

5. Command Sequence "Re-import File"

4. Command 0x7314 "Re-import File"

3. Command Sequence "Update"

2. Command 0x8c59 "Update Link"

1. Command 0x8c9f "Update Link"

Registered plugins:

Name ID Version Build Load Status

----------------------------------------------------------------

POSITIONTOOL.APLN 0x19b00 7 5 Load Failed

EDITOR HELPER UI.APLN 0x21101 7 5 Load Failed

INCOPYCOREUI.APLN 0x21201 7 5 Load Failed

INCOPYFILEACTIONSUI.APLN 0x21301 7 5 Load Failed

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 1, 2012 9:27 AM   in reply to JAFlint24

Bizarre. Have not heard of anyone having that problem yet. Thanks for the report!

So you're saying that InCopy 7.5.3 and InDesign 7.5.2 are the solution for you? (instead of 7.5.3/7.5.3?)

AM

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 10, 2012 11:22 AM   in reply to JAFlint24

I just upgraded to InDesign 8 (CS6) and I am experiencing some instability with certain InCopy documents. My colleagues are still using InCopy CS5. When placing some, and updating already placed InCopy documents InDesign will shutdown due to a "serious error".

For the record, these InCopy files do not exist on networked storage. Technically, I am using Dropbox to share files with colleagues but those files are hosted locally of course and the issue doesn't have anything to do with currently syncing files, etc.

If no one has any thoughts I suppose I will upgrade InCopy to CS6 and throw another new variable into the mix to see what happens.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 10, 2012 11:37 AM   in reply to DeanB

Upgrading InCopy would be the first thing to try. You can download a 30 day trial.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 10, 2012 11:39 AM   in reply to Bob Levine

Doing so now. Of course my colleagues won't be happy when I tell them they have to buy an upgrade. I'm all for upgrades but in this case I don't think that InCopy CS6 is a requirement for InDesign CS6, correct?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 10, 2012 12:22 PM   in reply to DeanB

No change. Opened InCopy CS5 document in InCopy CS6, saved as a new document. Chose Relink in InDesign document. Same crash-inducing, serious error. (The InCopy document, by the way, is simply text with a few paragraph styles — I won't get into InCopy documents with graphic anchors, etc.)

Creating a new InCopy CS6 document, copying content from existing InCopy CS5 document and pasting content into new document also produces same crash as does attempting to place this (or previous iterations) in a new InDesign CS6 document.

But, placing InCopy CS5 or InCopyCS6 document in a new InDesign CS5 document (running both versions concurrently) is successful.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 10, 2012 12:33 PM   in reply to DeanB

Are you using Suitcase Fusion 3 by any chance? If so, disable the auto activation plugin.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 10, 2012 12:37 PM   in reply to Bob Levine

No, I use FontCase by Bohemian Coding. Currently I have its auto-activation feature disabled. Which, by the way, I have found to be very unintrusive as a Mac font management application.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 16, 2012 4:22 PM   in reply to DeanB

I am having the same problem with the InDesign/InCopy workflow crashes. I work in a windows network environment.

I have just suggested to my IT person to re-install my InDesign software (I currently have InDesign CS5.5, v7.5) and do the update suggested in the InDesign forums (7.5.3 available since May 2, 2012 in the Adobe site.

Has anyone experienced the results of this update as to solving the problem or not?

Does the version combination suggested by Anne Marie resolves the problem?

Any assistance will be appreciated :-)

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 16, 2012 4:25 PM   in reply to AnneMarie Concepcion

AM, this is Rocio... yes THAT Rocio... experiencing this very frustrating problem with the ID/IC workflow that used to work so well until a few weeks ago.

So, here I am now asking if the combination you suggest is the 'winning combination'... did you got to know the answer to your question? If so, I would like to know how that worked. :-)

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 17, 2012 9:06 AM   in reply to JAFlint24

JA Flint, thanks for the information! :-)

You have saved me lots of running around in circles!  I am passing this information to my IT people and we will be looking to have the version combination you are suggesting and see how it goes.  At the same time, I will keep an eye on the other ID/IC workflows in our department to check how are they working with their own software versions. Now, I am curious to know which versions are they working with.

Later on, I will report on the results from implementing from your advice to assist other possible users looking for a solution to this issue. Also, as you mentioned, hopefully Adobe will fix this issue so that we can move forward with new software versions. At this time, if IC 7.5.3 and ID 7.5.2 work well and the issue is fixed, we will probably not be installing newer software until the issue is fixed at the software level with no need of work-arounds.

Thanks again! :-)

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 16, 2012 11:38 PM   in reply to JAFlint24

I just wanted to add in my 2 cents here. I've been experiencing this problem since the aforementioned update to InDesign CS5.5 and it has carried through to InDesign CS6. It has rendered InCopy almost useless and from what I can gather I'm not alone, not only from the comments in this thread but from the thread at via the link below along with other forums around the place...

http://boardreader.com/thread/InDesign_crashes_when_updating_InCopy_IC _1wt6vXeedo.html

Adobe needs to really get to the bottom of this issue. InCopy was a really useful cross-collaborative tool, it both sped up our internal workflow and minimised editing errors caused by manual insertion of markups on the design end. Now it's joke.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 4, 2013 3:56 AM   in reply to pj stekhoven

We are also having major problems with our InDesign/InCopy layout and assignment workflows in Win 7, have contacted IT support and still no help going forward.

The recent upgrade to both InDesign and InCopy CS6 (both have the latest patches installed) has not helped, our workflow uses both shared network and dropbox, neither seem stable.

We have posted similar Proectiveshutdown logs,  see below

Adobe InDesign Protective Shutdown Log

02/04/13 10:40:22

Unhandled error condition

Session started up at 10:39 AM on Monday, February 04, 2013

Version: 8.0.1 - Build: 406

Error Code 0x20705: "The content is locked and cannot be modified."

Called to process command 0x7313

Command Processor Stack (from top to bottom):

8. Command Sequence "Re-import File"

7. Command 0x7314 "Re-import File"

6. Command Sequence "Update"

5. Command Sequence ""

4. Command 0x8c59 "Update Link"

3. Command 0x18e38 "Relink Story"

2. Command Sequence "Relink Story"

1. Command Sequence "Update Story"

--------------

The problem always seems to be the same after a simple editorial change to the .icml files.

Adobe need to sit up and pay attention to the problems we have been experiencing.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 4, 2013 1:31 AM   in reply to JAFlint24

When I saw the updates to both InCopy and InDesign included apparent fixes for issues related to the importing of .icml files crashing InDesign (the fix was for a supposed issue with Pantones?) I too was hoping that my days dealing with this issue were over.

On the initial setup of my last project where InCopy was needed to cross collaborate with our editorial team everything seemed to be working fine. However much like previous experiences something occurs and suddenly when trying to update .icml files CS6 shuts down due to the 'Serious Error'.

This issue has been been ongoing now for far too long.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 4, 2013 5:28 AM   in reply to pj stekhoven

I still experience issues with this as well, and I think I was one of the original posters. I thought I would take a second to "bump" my experience and crude fix in the forum.

For me it seems to be a problem with InDesign gathering hyperlink destinations. InDesign will include these URLs, appending them to InCopy files that are getting edited and checked-in in InDesign. From there something happens where a URL can start duplicating, many hundreds of times during subsequent check-out/check-ins.

I sometime examine the InDesign document's destination options deleting the unnecessary ones.

More importantly, I now use Apple OS X Smart Folders in the Finder to monitor production folders for .icml files over 500KB (for my purposes — magazine articles — basic InCopy files that are just text in nature are typically well below 300KB).

If I see an InCopy file is behaving badly (bloating in size unexpectedly) I will open it in a simple text editor and remove the excessive Hyperlink Destination XML elements and save those changes to the XML. This generally fixed the problem.

I hope this makes sense, and might be of use. I realize the previous poster's comments might be more about chiding Adobe for not fixing the issue than looking for someone to chime in with their observations.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 13, 2013 12:33 PM   in reply to JAFlint24

I believe I may have some insight to share on this problem.

I produce a magazine in InDesign CS6, and the editors use Incopy over a shared dropbox account.

As we start creating articles, I usually export them to Incopy one by one, just the text frames that I expect them to edit. However, at some point in production, it becomes necessary to unlink all of the Incopy stories, delete those links, and then create clean links - usually because another designer wants to be able to copy text boxes and move all the pages around and having everying linked in Incopy makes that more cumbersome.

When it's time to remake the Incopy links, I have several times tried using "Export all stories" to create them all at once. DON'T DO THIS. I believe this is one of the main causes of the problem because there are various pieces of text that you don't want linked via Incopy - such as master page footers, section markers, anchored text elements, text labels on a digram that are in small round text boxes, and so on. I think these are the things that cause the crashing when you try to update an Incopy link - even if the one you're updating has none of these features.

So, instead, after a clean sweep of all linked text, I now re-export the Incopy links manually. I go one spread at a time, and highlight all of the relevant text frames at once, and export to Incopy. That way I know I'm only exporting the frames that have the main text in them that will be edited, and not the "decorative" text or locked items.

This may be prohibitevely time-consuming in some projects, but until Adobe is able to fix the application, I believe it's one way to solve the problem. Seems to help on my magazine.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2013 12:00 PM   in reply to JAFlint24

I am and continue to have the same exact problem with ID 7.5.2. Not sure what version our IC is. D

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2013 1:37 PM   in reply to JAFlint24

We also have this problem with Incopy CS6 and Indesign CS6

Downgrading to Indesign CS5.5 fix the issue for us.  Here is a thread in the Incopy forums about it.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1114805?tstart=0

Sad to see Adobe is ignoring the issue and not releasing a fix

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 22, 2013 3:26 PM   in reply to mattburgess

I've been dealing with this issue a lot recently. I work on a 2011 iMac running 10.7.5 (Lion). I'm using InDesign CS6 and my associate is using InCopy CS6. I've done all the "fixes" listed above. And at different times they have seemed to fix the problem. Most recently though, none of the previous fixes (unlinking, exporting as IDML, recreating links, etc) were working. Until I discovered there were locked items within the copy that was exported in the ICML files (namely an anchor icon at the end of the articles). Once I went through and unlocked all of them, I updated the ICML files (did not have to recreate them) and updated the links on my associate's computer. Tadah! No more crashing. We tested it by editing a linked ICML and sending it back and forth a few times. No more crashing! ~It makes sense to me that a locked item within the ICML file would cause this annoying crashing. Hopefully, the 7+ hours we spent trying to solve this issue will be of help to you!

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 17, 2013 12:24 PM   in reply to RocioLB

Check Character styles and remove the one that says hyperlinks and has a little disk icon next to it - re output the assignment and whola it should have no crash issues - we have tested on 5 problem files and they all worked, looks like an imported style from word docs i think.

Let me know if it works - it has caused us much grief - and no one at adobe could help!

Cheers

Gerry Wiebe

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 14, 2013 2:10 PM   in reply to JAFlint24

I had the same issue and spent hour figuring out the issue. I realized that it only happened with text that was imported from word files. Some word files have a little text anchor, or some kind of hyperlink that is invisible. If you turn on hidden characters then you will see what looks like a colon, two dots instead of a space which normally shows as one spot. Check out http://indesignsecrets.com/downloads/guide_specialchars-2012.pdf  and look for "Text Anchor" to see what it looks like.

Screen Shot 2013-11-15 at 12.06.35 AM.png

If this anchor is in the text than it will cause indesign to crash when updating the file from incopy. The trick is to either ensure that the anchor never comes into indesign by importing word files with no styling whatsoever, or to search for the anchors (in the story editor it might be easier) and delete them before making incopy links. If they were already made into links just delete them in incopy. After importing word text, before styling, the story editor will show this anchor with a weird anchor symbol so it is easy to spot.

Screen Shot 2013-11-15 at 12.06.40 AM.png

After styling this symbol seems to disappear and all that is left is the to vertical dots in the hidden character view, this can be hard to spot. Once I figured out this issue, I never had a crash again and now can avoid it altogether.

I hope Adobe corrects this bug but till then, just delete the anchors and enjoy crash free file!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points