Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

DW changing File Permissions on FTP Upload

Jul 5, 2012 1:56 PM

I've been having this problem where Dreamweaver CS6 changes the file permissions when uploading. I get an HTTP 403 error when trying to view the pages. I have to manually reset the permissions on each .html file after upload. Sometimes I have to go through the server manager and reset all the permissions for the site. It is not particular to a server, because it has happened on three different servers. I am running OSX 10.7.4 on a MacBook Pro.

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 5, 2012 2:23 PM   in reply to Christopher Sanchez

This is a known problem for a very small group of people. Adobe is trying to isolate the source to find a fix.

In the meantime, file an official bug report below with your system details:

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

And, use a dedicated FTP app like Cyberduck or Filezilla until Adobe resolves this issue.

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 18, 2012 4:54 AM   in reply to Nancy O.

Has this status changed? My site's manager have cut off ALL FTP access until this matter is resolved. Apparently competitive programs that do not use FTP (Frontpage, WordPress) are unaffected. My access was always OK, but the permissions issues created by accessing the site with programs using this known bug, wreacked havoc on my server, prompting this unilateral move. Now, no FTP program can access the sites.

If there is a way to work with them, please let me know by email and I'll put you in touch with appropriate individuals to solve this. Thanks,

Henry

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 16, 2012 5:56 PM   in reply to Christopher Sanchez

As per Christopher's post, has this issue been resolved? Given it has been four weeks since his post, there still seems to be no public response.

We are experiencing the same frustrating issue of DW CS6 invisibly changing our file permissions which result in 403 errors, due to this we can no longer trust this version of DW after using it now for 8 years.

Could someone at Adobe (or an MVP) provide a viable status update as to exactly what is happening to resolve this fundamental issue that renders the program useless? Regardless of what file is being edited, if you upload it and the browser can no longer preview the page, then what's the point of using DW at all? Using FireFTP, Filezilla, or any number of other FTP clients is only stop-gap work around that adds to our frustration and slows productivity, it does nothing to fix the problem.

I also find it hard to believe that "This is a known problem for a very small group of people."

Looking forward to a response.

Clive.

Ps/ We have updated the DW CS6 patch to 12.01 - to no avail.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 16, 2012 8:57 PM   in reply to Clive 542

There has been an update recently for DW CS6 and it has fixed many of the FTP problems.  Have you updated your copy?  If not then you should do so without further delays.

Fo Windows:

<http://download.macromedia.com/pub/dreamweaver/updates/cs6/12_0_1/win/ AdobeDreamweaver-12-0-All-Update.zip>

For Macs:

<http://download.macromedia.com/pub/dreamweaver/updates/cs6/12_0_1/mac/ AdobeDreamweaver-12-0-All-Update.dmg>

Hope this helps.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 16, 2012 9:29 PM   in reply to mytaxsite.co.uk

The last line in Clive's post indicates that he's tried the 12.0.1 patch to no avail.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 17, 2012 4:08 AM   in reply to John Waller

I have updated my copy to 12.0.1 (build 5842) which was received via Adobe Updater, however it only updated to 12.0 not the version you posted according to the splash screen, both are shown after the update.

Screen Shot 2012-08-17 at 7.03.50 .pngScreen Shot 2012-08-17 at 7.04.26 .png

How are you viewing this status change? I'm going by the splash screen in About... What change do you see (please send screen shot)?

In the information in Apple Info window, I see that the version reported there is 12.0.1.5842. That is more in line with Adobe Updater and was what I had previously installed, this may be a source of the confusion. Clearly there is a change though, and it's wise to update.

I'm locked out by my admin so I have no way to tell the version promulgated by Adobe or mentioned by you has indeed made a difference. My admins are independently evaluating the issue and I did pass this info on them. It is impossible for me to determine what, if anything, was changed or whether this change does cure all ills. So, please keep the info coming.

Thanks.

Message was edited by: henryseiden

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 17, 2012 4:12 AM   in reply to Nancy O.

Nancy O. wrote:

This is a known problem for a very small group of people. Adobe is trying to isolate the source to find a fix.

In the meantime, file an official bug report below with your system details:

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

And, use a dedicated FTP app like Cyberduck or Filezilla until Adobe resolves this issue.

Thanks, Nancy. Have done so quite a while ago. Do you know if that update has fixed all the issues or if Adobe has fed back anything further? I suspect that the issues are not all fixed because of reports here and the lack of any substantive feedback from Adobe on what they did with enough specifics to convince that they nailed it.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 7, 2012 3:59 PM   in reply to henryseiden

I have the latest updates via Application Manager on the Mac,  Still says version 12 Build 5842. 

I can confirm I am getting all sorts of permissions upload errors.  BUT it only started happening to me in the last 2 weeks or so (latest update?). It never happened before!

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 8, 2012 10:58 AM   in reply to jefferis

I worked around the supposed bugs by going to SFTP mode on DW and on my server transfer. It now works seamlessly. SFAIK, there are no reflected server issues to the server (Linux). The sys admin locked out access via FTP but did not restrict SFTP (of course they told no one).

When I found that out (by accident, using Fetch not DW) I decided to try SFTP with DW. Vóila!

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 19, 2012 12:40 PM   in reply to Christopher Sanchez

I posted the same problem here today. >  http://forums.adobe.com/message/4711148#4711148

No update that I know of has been created. Calling Adobe support they responded as if I was insane. After 45 minutes on the call they told me they would call me back then never did.  I'm using filezilla in the mean time. Hope they fix it soon.

Aloha,

T

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 21, 2012 1:51 PM   in reply to dreamteammedia

I also have the issue where Dreamweaver CS6 12.0.1.5842 randomly changes file permissions when uploading files to my web server via FTP.

I can no longer trust Dreamweaver to upload websites correctly as it changes some files permissions which then deny the server access to the file which in turn makes the webpage unreachable/403 error.

On a less serious note I also cannot hide Dreamweaver using "Command H" like i should be able to.

I'm using an early 2011 Macbook Pro 10.7.5.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 22, 2012 8:39 AM   in reply to Takimeto

The workaround I found is to use SFTP instead in your site manager, that's assuming (as most do) your server supports secure FTP. Linux servers typically support this and when using, I have no further trouble. Hope this helps you, too!

Henry

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 3, 2012 1:41 PM   in reply to Christopher Sanchez

I reported the problem on Sept, 19th 2012.

Today I spent another 1hr 45minutes with support re-recording and documenting the error with the same outcome…  No resolve possible.

It has been acknowledged by Adobe that the Dreamweaver FTP in CS6 changing the permissions to 0 is still an issue.  12.0.1 was suppose to resolve this issue back in June.

However there is no resolve at the moment and upgrading to 12.0.1 does nothing in addition as the above posted states your Dreamweaver will display 12.0 build so go figure.

I have been using Dreamweaver since 1999 when they were still Macromedia and I have not experienced any issues like this. CS5 and CS5.5 works fine on my current computer. This seems to be exclusive to CS6.

If your interested I’m running a late 2011 Mac Book Pro OSX 10.7.5 & an iMac late 2011 OSX 10.7.5.

I have spent a ridiculous amount of time with support on 3 separate occasions and while they screen record my computer documenting the problem each time from the beginning I am promised a call back with an update and a possible resolve. I have not received any support on the issue.

It is important to note SFTP is a workaround however it is not always possible for obvious reasons.

This lack of support from ADOBE and their constant loop is a broken circus act of epic proportions. 

My other posts about this issue:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4784898

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4784368#4784368

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 7, 2012 11:53 AM   in reply to dreamteammedia

I am very unhappy that evidently Dreamweaver is changing my permissions. I called Adobe yesterday and a tech accessed my computer remotely. She told me she was certain Dreamweaver could not be setting permissions as she used my version of Dreamweaver with her mouse on my desktop. At the end of her assessment she told me the permissions could only be set on the server and not via file transfer.

I just got off the phone with my hosting company and they told me the file permissions were being changed as the files were uploaded. They said there is nothing they can do as Dreamweaver has this as a known issue. She referred me to this forum.

It is very disappointing that Adobe mis informed me. And it is very disappointing I now need additional software to perform a simple task that has never been an issue with Dreamweaver in the past.

There, I feel better now

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 7, 2012 12:04 PM   in reply to freead

Which operating system?

Which host?

What type of server are you hosted on?

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 7, 2012 12:27 PM   in reply to Nancy O.

Mac 10.8.2

Web.com

unix

About 30% of html and jpeg files have permissions changed. Others are uneffected...so far. I have just downloaded filezilla and will report back with results.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 7, 2012 1:07 PM   in reply to Nancy O.

Not trying to hijack this post, but as a point of information I had the same trouble. In my case it's a Linux Server (with the latest upgrades), MAC OS X (Mountain Lion). Dreamweaver did some major damage to the permissions, not only on my server space but globally, to other's space as well. It was a disaster!

I subsequently found that here, on this thread and elsewhere (despite my admin's refusal to acknowledge it) that the problem does not exist when using DW's sftp uploader. I believe this to be your issue (DW, Adobe that is) and have discontinued using or recommending use of DW FTP unprotected uploads, globally. My problems and those of my clients have gone away.

I do not know what my server admin, or DW have now recommended officially, but again, in my case, have all the latest DW versions installed. So, in short I have found a work-around and have no problem now, BUT I did. Simply making a point of information for this thread. 

Moreover, have found Adobe's refusal to address it, fix it and not to mention, initially taking no responsibility for this bug (affecting so many users), simply atrocious. More like the end of a bad love affair...

H

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 7, 2012 1:27 PM   in reply to freead

Filezilla works without reseting permissions.

I noticed after I upload a file with dreamweaver the url will have changed from what I name it.

example

original url when I upload: http://mysite/chocolate.html

url of updated file as seen in browser window after upload: http://mysite/chocolate.html#.UMJdyqU-J5j

This looks ridiculous....and not Adobe nor my web host can explain it?? Geeeeeeze

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 7, 2012 1:37 PM   in reply to henryseiden

Thanks Henry, Is using DW's sftp just a matter of clicking a button?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 7, 2012 2:05 PM   in reply to freead

freead wrote:

Thanks Henry, Is using DW's sftp just a matter of clicking a button?

Yes and no. Once the setup is changed in Server>Manage Sites, then yes. First, your server must support SFTP (most do), then you need to set up DW for SFTP, just like you set up FTP once, except it's a different setup (see pic for an example), yours will differ according to your own server's settings particularly the highlighted areas (write down the old settings). You did this once before for the FTP settings, many settings will simply stay the same, certainly the file transfer setting dropdown selection will change to SFTP as noted.

Just reviewing this thread, seems the problem here was reported in July and may have first surfaced with an Dobe release in Mar, 2012. Seems like a long time not matter whose stopwatch you are using. Clearly long off the Adobe radar screen. 

HTH,

H

Screen Shot 2012-12-07 at 16.49.39 .png

Message was edited by: henryseiden

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 7, 2012 2:13 PM   in reply to henryseiden

THANK YOU Henry! for taking the time to explain this to me. It was as simple as changing it from ftp to sftp. I logged right in. The directory is completely foreign. I will see if I can find my site in there tomorrow, if it is my site.

Also, Filezilla works just fine, it has eradicated my problem. Although I do not value the inconvenience of having to use two programs.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 11, 2012 7:23 AM   in reply to freead

I guess my issue has been resolved. And thank everyone for the help. My conclusion is that there is a problem with Dreamweaver changing permisions when uploading via Dreamweaver Version 12 Build 5808 FTP client. I have none of these problems with Filezilla or when I have switched to SFTP as suggested by henryseiden in Dreamweaver. It seems that Dreamweaver should acknowledge this issue when calling for customer support and not declare it is impossible for Dreamweaver to effect permissions. The good news is that I am back to a productive workflow enjoying dreamweaver for all its other excellent features.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 24, 2013 2:52 AM   in reply to Christopher Sanchez

Now i see that the 12.1 5966 version is available through Adobe Cloud. As i have installed DW for the first time now, i'd like to know if this issue still exists or has been fixed.

I have choose to use DW for the reason i don't want to use many programs, and if this issue still exists, i will evaluate to do not use DW at all.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 24, 2013 7:37 AM   in reply to GaudiumMagnum

The engenering team finally found the problem.

Version 5966 fixes it.

The issue has been resolved.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 24, 2013 7:43 AM   in reply to dreamteammedia

I've been struggling with this issue for the last week and a half.  It's really undermined my confidence in dreamweaver.

Can anyone else confirm is 5966 fixes the problem. I updated it this morning and it appears to be working normally again. I'm a bit reluctant to do any widespready file uploads until I have a sense from peopel in here that it's all been resolved.

Amazing with all Dreamweavers great features that such a small bug can render the whole thing pretty much useless.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 24, 2013 3:28 PM   in reply to dreamteammedia

Thanks for all the detail, not… What was the problem, what is the fix that you found and to what version will said fix be applied?

Needless to say it was an agonizing wait. WOW!

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 24, 2013 3:32 PM   in reply to GaudiumMagnum

Anybody know what the fix was, to what version it really does apply?The note posted was very cryptic! They want very detailed problem reporting. It's fixed is pretty thin.

IMO.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 29, 2013 5:57 PM   in reply to henryseiden

A first post from someone at his wits end! I have just encountered this problem with DW3 on Win XP.. Obviously I've been using it for years but I've never experienced this problem before. It appears to be related to saving files as I've never used DW to upload files, preferring to use CuteFTP. Of course the FTP client will fail to upload a file with a changed permission but the random changes appear to be arising during the save. I hope someone can put me out of my misery.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2013 9:03 AM   in reply to Malcolm Hood51

Dreamweaver 3 or CS3? 

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2013 2:46 PM   in reply to Nancy O.

Hi Nancy

No, good old fashioned, steam driven Dreamweaver 3. It works for me - well it did until about a week ago!

Rgds

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2013 3:00 PM   in reply to Malcolm Hood51

The best recommendation on this problem I know of is to use SFTP instead (assuming your server supports that feature. You shouldn't have that issue when using SFTP (at least, I haven't even when using very finicky servers).  Be sure you have the latest DW updates. The version I now use is DW for CS6 (Version 12).

If you use DW for CS 3, I have no idea except to suggest the same technique above (SFTP) and see how it goes.

Good luck,

Henry

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2013 3:18 PM   in reply to Malcolm Hood51

There is no Adobe product support for 14 year old Macromedia software. 

You might try installing this update:

http://www.adobe.com/support/dreamweaver/downloads_updaters.html#dw3

Beyond that, I have no advice for you other than to get a free 30-day trial of Creative Cloud or DW CS6. 

https://creative.adobe.com/plans

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2013 2:41 AM   in reply to Nancy O.

Thanks Nancy and Ken for your responses. I thought for a while that the update had fixed the problem but it's back and as random as ever. Unfortunately an upgrade is not an option.

Rgds

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2013 9:03 AM   in reply to Malcolm Hood51

This doesn't make much sense because permissions occur on the server.  I can't help but think there is something else at foot here.

Try creating a new, blank HTML page.  Insert some Lorem ipsum (dummy text).  Save as TEST.html.  Use CuteFTP to upload test page to server.

Check results in your browser and report back.

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2013 2:43 PM   in reply to Nancy O.

Nancy

I did as you suggested and the file opened fine in Firefox. But that is not where I would expect to encounter the problem. So I opened the file in DW as this is where I get the "access denied" response. I tried this 6 times, closing DW each time but the file opened fine on all occasions. Because of the random nature of the problem it could rear its ugly head on the 7th attempt or not at all. Then again it could happen on the first attempt to open another file.

As a side issue, loading the update appears to have corrupted the properties inspector. After making one selection e.g. font the other parameters on the top line are obscured by a blue bar. I'm not too concerned about this as I expect a reinstall will fix it.

Regards

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2013 3:04 PM   in reply to Malcolm Hood51

I think the problem files may contain critical errors which DW is attempting but failing to resolve.  Use the W3C's online code validation tool to check your code

http://validator.w3.org/

Fix reported errors -- in DW or with a plain text editor like NotePad or NotePad++.

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2013 6:47 PM   in reply to Nancy O.

I apologize if this is the incorrect place to respond to this issue.

I too am experiencing problems where Dreamweaver changes the file permissions when uploading. I get an HTTP 403 error when trying to view the pages. Every time I upload a file I have to go through the server manager (yahoo) and  have all the permissions reset for the site.  I have CS6 version 12.0 build 5861.   I was informed by by the hosting company that dreamweaver is changing the permissions during the upload and restricts access to the enitre website. I  uploaded the lastest changes as required by adobe (Dreamweaver CS6 12.0.3 update to address HiDPI-compliance and resolve critical bugs.) and confirmed my version number is 12.0.3.5861.  I am running on windows 7.  Is there an additional fix I am still missing?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 30, 2013 2:34 PM   in reply to kirzonalr69

I too am having this problem. It started last week, after I installed CS6 and started using it. I have used Dreamweaver since 1999 when it was GoLive and have NEVER experienced the sort of headaches that CS6 is causing.

I am on a Mac 10.8.4. The Dreamweaver is CS6 version 12.0 build 5861. My server is unix. I have had multiple problems with files having their permissions reset as they are uploaded.

This problem is obviously an old one. It obviously has not been fixed and is not being addressed. By now there should be a well publicized fix. Anything less is customer support at its worst.

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points