Skip navigation
candacewillingham
Currently Being Moderated

Guided edit features missing

Jul 5, 2012 3:26 PM

Tags: #10 #editor #imac

I have a Mac running OS 10.7. I have Photoshop Elements 10.

When I select the Guided Edit tab, there are no options available. The only tools are zoom, hand, and set foreground color. Everything else is gone. The open file is centered in the blank page, and most of the menu items are unavailable, with the exception of filters.

I have uninstalled and re-installed the program and rebooted. I have also deleted the two database files, as suggested in another post, and they were rebuilt.

I do not have a lot of experience with this program, but I have read enough of the help file to know that there are supposed to be guided edit options available, such as actions, enhance colors, etc. The menu bar has very few options available from the guided edit window. In fact, the only way to get back to the full edit window is to shut down and restart the program.

Please tell me what is wrong. Thank you!

Candace W

cwshopper@bellsouth.net

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 5, 2012 3:49 PM   in reply to candacewillingham

Did you install/are you running from an admin account? Do you use antivirus software? If so, did you disable it during install?

I would start by going to your username>library>preferences and deleting:

com.adobe.PhotoshopElements.plist

Adobe Photoshop Elements 10 Paths

Adobe Photoshop Elements 10 Settings

Repair permissions and see if it works.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 5, 2012 3:50 PM   in reply to Barbara B.

Forgot to say, that library is hidden in lion. To see it, option-click the Go menu in the finder and it will appear below the little house for your user account. While you are in there go to Saved Application States and delete the states for PSE.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 5, 2012 4:54 PM   in reply to candacewillingham

Glad you got it working. Just for future reference, to repair permissions go to applications>utilities>disk utility, click your hard drive in the list on the left side of the window, then click Repair Permissions. This can take a while, so don't fret, and don't freak over all the messages you may see scrolling by in the window. All's well unless you see a red warning at the end of the whole process that says that the repair failed. This is good to do after installing applications that use installers (as opposed to drag and drop into applications), and also after system updates.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 17, 2012 3:34 PM   in reply to Barbara B.

Hi Barbara,

I'm having the same problem. I have Photoshop Elements 10, on a Mac BookPro.

My Edits work fine for a FULL Edit...however, when I click on Guided or Quick on the right hand side to do an edit, the icons are all missing. They were there before and worked fine for months. So, I'm not sure if I clicked on something to make them go away....? I just tried the "Repair Permissions" that you described up above, and it worked fine...but, the icons are still not coming up. Do I need to do something different on a Mac? Thanks for your help!

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 17, 2012 3:45 PM   in reply to Keri Quammen

Those instructions are all for mac. Did you delete the files in the previous post?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 17, 2012 3:59 PM   in reply to Barbara B.

HI Barbara,

I did not delete the files you had mentioned because the only one I could fine was the Plist one. The others you had listed, I couldn't find anywhere.

Also, how do you delete files like those on a Mac? What do you click on?

Thanks again for your help!

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 17, 2012 6:02 PM   in reply to Barbara B.

Hello again Barbara,

I've looked and looked…but I can't seem to find Adobe Photoshop Elements 10 Paths or Adobe Photoshop Elements 10 Settings.

The only file I have is the Com.adobe Photoshop Elements.plist. If I can find the other files, I'm hopeful that the Guided edit tools will come back since the Repair Permission steps worked just fine for me.

Can you let me know where to look for the other files?

Thanks for your help...

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 17, 2012 7:31 PM   in reply to Keri Quammen

They should be in that same folder. Remember that Adobe comes before com. when searching alphabetically in there. Those files should be before all the com.whatever.plist files.

And make sure you are in the right library. You want your user library, not system>library or your hard drive>library.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 17, 2012 7:42 PM   in reply to Barbara B.

I go to Library then Preferences, correct? That's where I'm going and I'm not seeing those other files.

I even typed in, "Adobe" "Settings", etc….to see if they would pop up. Nothing so far.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 17, 2012 7:44 PM   in reply to Keri Quammen

Which library are you in? They should certainly be there. PSE generates them every time it starts up if they aren't already there. It sounds like your install is badly damaged. I would uninstall it and reinstall.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 17, 2012 7:45 PM   in reply to Barbara B.

When you reinstall, if you use any kind of antivirus software, be sure to turn it off during the install.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 17, 2012 7:47 PM   in reply to Barbara B.

I'm clicking on Macintosh HD, then clicking on Library…then Preferences.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 17, 2012 7:48 PM   in reply to Keri Quammen

No. You want the library for your user account. In 10.6, open a finder window and click on the little house with your name on it in the left side of the window, then you want the library that will appear on the right. In 10.7 and 10.8, get into the Finder, then at the top of your screen click the Go menu and hold down the Option key. It will appear below the little house for your user account.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 17, 2012 7:56 PM   in reply to Barbara B.

Oh, OK. Sorry about that. This Mac is new and I'm getting used to all the features. After I hit, the "GO" menu…and option key….where do I go after I click on Library?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 17, 2012 8:03 PM   in reply to Barbara B.

Also, to help you, I must have the 10.7 or 10.8 version…because that's the option that worked for me to get to LIBRARY.

Just not sure where to go from there….

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 17, 2012 8:19 PM   in reply to Keri Quammen

where do I go after I click on Library?

You go into the preferences folder and delete the files I listed in my first reply in this thread. Also, in that library go into the saved application states folder and delete everything pertaining to PSE.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 17, 2012 8:23 PM   in reply to Barbara B.

I found all the files in the Preferences folder. Do you know how to delete them on a Mac?

What do I click on to delete the files? Silly question, but Mac's are so different from PC's.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 17, 2012 8:43 PM   in reply to Keri Quammen

Click on them and press command+delete, or drag them to the trash.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 17, 2012 9:12 PM   in reply to Barbara B.

If I delete everything in the Application States folder…it won't affect anything in my FULL Edit will it? I have photo effects in there that I don't want deleted.

So…just checking first.

Also, you said "everything" pertaining to PSE. So, do I look for anything with PSE listed in the title and delete it?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 17, 2012 9:20 PM   in reply to Keri Quammen

The application state has nothing whatever to do with the program files. It's where OS X remembers exactly what was happening when you last closed the program so it can reopen it exactly where you left off.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points