Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

CS5_Mix SD with HD Issues

Jul 5, 2012 4:06 PM

Tags: #format #sd #hd #5 #mix

I am trying to prepare a documentary for delivery, and I am having some issues mixing SD footage with HD footage on an HD timeline. The company wants an HD digital video file on a data disc, encoded with ProRes 422 (HQ). The main problem is that when I encoded it to ProRes, it looks like the SD footage is ghosting (not on every frame necessarily). The HD footage looks just fine. I am just assuming it has something to do with the frame rate or going from interlaced to progressive...

Screen Shot 2012-07-05 at 6.52.12 PM.png

The majority of my documentary was shot on a Panasonic HVX200a, with DVCPROHD 720p 24. The SD footage is used for flashbacks, and all of it was shot on a Canon GL2, with the DV NTSC codec (16:9 aspect ratio). My main sequence is DVCPROHD 720p 24. I scaled the SD footage up to 151% in the HD timeline.

Any workarounds for this? What is the standard workflow for prepping SD footage to work in an HD timeline like this? For some reason I thought CS5 could handle various aspect ratios and framerates all in one timeline. Am I wrong?

So to summarize:

Main Timeline/Sequence:          

DVCPROHD 720p 24

960 x 720 1.333

HD Footage:       

DVCPROHD 720p 24

960 x 720 1.333

SD Footage:       

DV NTSC (scaled up 151%)   

720 x 480 1.2121

Rendering out with ProRes 422 (HQ)

960 x 720 1.333

My system:

iMac

2.7 GHz Intel Core i5

4gb RAM

Premiere Pro CS5

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 5, 2012 4:28 PM   in reply to Boone Documentaries

The SD footage...was shot...with the DV

On purpose?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 5, 2012 4:53 PM   in reply to Boone Documentaries

What is the standard workflow for prepping SD footage to work in an HD timeline like this?

Well, one workflow is to do, just as you have done. However, Scaling can be a real "deal-breaker."

Many users have employed plug-ins, and programs, such as Red Giant's Magic Bullet Instant HD, though some, upon testing it, did not feel that it did the ultimate job.

Not sure about the Mac platform, or how well (or poorly), it might do with your footage. They have a trial, and if there IS a Mac version, I would test, and see how things go.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 5, 2012 5:12 PM   in reply to Boone Documentaries

Got you. Several users felt, just as you did. I assume that there are several variables at play, such as the actual Source Footage, and also what the editor (or perhaps client) considers acceptable.

Thank you for reporting, and I just wanted to throw that out, but you have already "been there - done that - and have the tee-shirt to prove it."

Appreciated, and good luck. Hope that others have some useful ideas for you.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points