Skip navigation
mrechst
Currently Being Moderated

Problems importing Raw files on a Mac

Jul 6, 2012 10:29 AM

I am having an issue when importing raw photos from my Canon 7D.  I have been using Lightroom 4 and Photoshop CS5 extended on a Mac since the beginning of the year without issue.  Two weeks ago I started to have problems that when I was importing photos the raw files are corrupted.  I have discovered that by moving CS5 to the trash and reinstalling Lightroom4.1 I can import successfully so there is clearly no issue with the camera or the file format on the card.  However, the next day I run into issues again and I am forced to reinstall Lightroom 4.1each time I want to do an import.  This is incredibly frustrating.  I have tried importing as native raw or converting to DNG but each time I get the same issue, corrupt files.  The image preview is OK as it is imported, it is only once Lightroom recalculates the preview that the issue is apparent and the image looks like blocks of corrupted content with some parts of the image visible.  I have also tried copying the fiels ot the hard disk first - still have issues.  It is not 100% of the files that are corrupted, sometimes it is about 10%, other times it is about 95%  Help please.

Replies
  • Victoria Bampton
    5,302 posts
    Apr 1, 2008
    Jul 6, 2012 1:55 PM   in reply to mrechst

Corrupted files are usually a hardware issue, so while I wouldn't rule LR and PS out entirely, I'd be looking for hardware issues first.  Card reader, memory, hard drive.  And are you always importing to the same hard drive?

And I'd try a clean catalog and clearing the ACR cache too.

|
    Mark as:
  • Victoria Bampton
    5,302 posts
    Apr 1, 2008
    Jul 7, 2012 4:11 AM   in reply to mrechst

Have you tried running something like Memtest too?

There's a purge button for the ACR cache in the LR Preferences dialog.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 7, 2012 4:12 AM   in reply to mrechst

The DeLock readers at some point required a firmware update to work with 10.7 – check that yours has the latest firmware.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points