Skip navigation
Confused1975
Currently Being Moderated

Cannot create PDF files using Excel

Jul 6, 2012 9:00 AM

I'm using Acrobat PDFMaker 5.0 for Excel to convert my invoices into PDF files to send to clients but for some unknown reason it has just suddenly stopped working. It starts the conversion process OK but then freezes and just hangs. I can continue using my PC but the CPU usage shows as 100%. I end up either having to cancel the conversion or close the programme completely using task manager.

I'm afraid I'm not very computer savvy, but I really need to find a solution to this problem asap.

Please can anybody help me?

Thanks.

Replies
  • David Kastendick
    3,236 posts
    Apr 7, 2010
    Jul 6, 2012 11:13 AM   in reply to Confused1975

Make sure you've updated your Acrobat 5 to 5.0.5: http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=1309

You may also want to confirm whether or not this is document specific.  Does a new Excel file with just a few letters typed into cell A1 convert fine?  If so, you may want to uncheck the 'Enable text and reflow in tagged PDF' option within the PDFMaker preferences.  I may have skewed that verbiage slightly as I haven't looked at Acrobat 5 in a VERY long time, but I recall that option sometimes causing Word and Excel conversions to hang.

-David

|
    Mark as:
  • David Kastendick
    3,236 posts
    Apr 7, 2010
    Jul 9, 2012 3:38 PM   in reply to Confused1975

It sounds as if your Acrobat printer is not configured properly.  The printer should be utiliing the PDF Port (which is created upon install). 

I would recommend uninstalling and reinstalling Acrobat from your CD.  (then updating to 5.0.5 again).

-David

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 9, 2012 6:38 PM   in reply to David Kastendick

It may be that you can't use PDF Maker with your OFFICE version (you did not mention the version). If that is the case, you should be able to print to the Acrobat Distiller printer. If that does not work, then try a print-to-file. Assuming that works, open the file in Distiller to create the PDF. My guess is that AcroTray is not working and the steps with the printer will let you know. You may have stopped it.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points