Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Importing DWG or DXF Files into AI

Jul 10, 2012 7:10 AM

Tags: #eps #cad #dwg #dxf

I am trying to import dielines that are either dwg or dxf files into illustrator so I can add artwork and send to the vendor. Can anyone help me out on how to Import them? I tried importing them as EPS files, but they were always scaled down to an 8.5" x 11" piece of paper. I need these dielines to keep their actual size. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 10, 2012 11:22 AM   in reply to joegrace50

Try making a .pdf from autocad, and opening that in illustrator.  227.54" is the largest page size in illustrator, so as long as you don't go over you shoudl be good. 

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2012 3:41 PM   in reply to joegrace50

You can open or place he dwg or dxf file with Illustrator but the latest version it will open is AutoCAD 2006 so make sure you are not saving to anything newer.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2012 7:26 PM   in reply to joegrace50

Make sure you have the scale set correctly. See picture.

DXFDWG Options_2012-07-10_21-17-16.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 11, 2013 7:49 AM   in reply to ru73

When I try to import a DWG file into AI CS6 or CS5, I receive the message: The plugin cannot be initialized for lack of the initialization file "ADINIT.DAT".

I'd appreciate any help in resolving this problem.

Greg

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 12, 2013 5:14 AM   in reply to joegrace50

That sounds to me as if you did not install the import and export filters for DWG, or they are corrupt. Illustrator does not support the newer DWG versions, but you get a error "an unknown format and cannot be opened" when attempting to import a newer DWG version. Can you export a DWG file from Illustrator?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 12, 2013 4:21 PM   in reply to ru73

I can export fine in dwg format from Illustrator, but cannot import (have tried various older versions of dwg back to 2000).

How would I install the import/export filters? Are they on the original install CD?

Thanks for you help...

Greg

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2013 5:08 AM   in reply to gwjohnson

Can you please check if you have ADINIT.DAT file present in the "Plug-ins\Illustrator Formats" folder inside your install directory?

Which version of Illustrator are you working on?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2013 5:59 AM   in reply to Anish Kumar

I have both CS5 and CS6 installed, and I was having the problem with both. However, I reimstalled each and they are working fine now. Thanks for your help...

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points