Hi, there. I appologize first if I had missed this or if I'm doing something completely wrong with the program. I only just started using it a few weeks ago and only know the basics of it.
onto the problem, I seem to be having difficulty encoding videos. See, I have a bunch of video clips that I basically imported in, edited down to the clip from the video that I want, and squeezed them into the timeline. The problem is, however, that whenever I export the collaga into the encoder and begin encoding, it takes the video clips and screws with them, putting them at random times in the entire video instead of the video clip where I wanted them. If someone could please help, that would be much appreciated.
I appologize beforehand if I am doing a beginner mistake, or if this is just a common glitch that everyone should know about.
Thank you for your time.
Welcome to the forum.
What I think you are describing is odd behavior, and not something that I have ever encountered, or even read about.
Let's step back a bit, and get a bit more info. What might be important would be:
Not sure that any equipment info would be needed at this point, but keep that in the back of your mind, just in case.
Good luck, and please let us know a bit more.
All the settings I'm using are basically the default settings. I really only know the basics thus far.
As for the footage and editing, I'm basically using clips that I have on my computer as well as YouTube downloader to get video clips. I've checked all the clips and each work perfectly fine. Sure, a few downloaded and only play at a few frames per second, but I was able to speed them up, and they aren't even the ones giving off problems.
The problem is that some clips, usually the same ones, seem to misplace where I wanted them. So if I cut a video to only play at maybe 20 seconds in to 25 seconds in with the rest of the clip sliced off and deleted, when encoding, it would instead go to 0 seconds in to 5 seconds in, or maybe 40 seconds in to 45 seconds in. And the weirder part is that when I entered the encoding process, the entire video clip was fine and perfect, but when the encoding goes wrong, it actually alters the sequence itself to whatever the encoding messed up, and it alters the save file as well. I've resorted to basically holding the original on a flash drive in order to make sure I have a pure copy.
The only effects I've used so far are just basic ones, such as fades on audio and video, and volume. The only other thing aside from those that I've done in the effects tab is that I made the video larger to fit the whole screen in all of the clips.
The Export settings are the basic, default ones. I haven't messed with the exporting window at all.
As for the screen capture:
I pretty much have only 4 active tracks, with one of those being for hidden video or audio. This is the sequence I'm trying to export, however some of the first clips or some of the ones in the middle are the problem areas. And they don't always encode incorrectly. Sometimes they work fine. But sometimes when other clips mess up and I fix them, when I go back to test the encoding, the clips that were fine a minute ago mess up again.
Bill Hunt who asked you for info earlier knows more about this than me..so he'll have some ideas for you... so hang on maybe until he responds to what you posted before you do anything that I might suggest or say here...
Basically your clips are various frame rates ( 23.97, 24, 29.97, 30 and even a 28.92 ( clip 4 ) ). In a perfect world your clips would all be the same frame rate and also the same dimensions usually...
The dimension problem you sorta solved by effect adjustment ( size / position ) and as long as your happy with results is OK. It's only quality of image that suffers from different dimensions and par... not the actual timing of the clips placed in the timeline.
The frame rates being different kinda messes up things a bit. If you think about it... if you have 30 frames in 1 second, and then you have 24 frames in one second... and they are both on the same timeline which gives you a steady single count of seconds...then the timeline count gets messed up... cause it can't stretch out the 24 frames to equal 30 ...and vica versa. Does that make sense ?
You might be able to use "interpret footage" on each clip to make adjustments to the fps, in which case you would make everything equal to your sequence setting, in effect making your 24 fps = 30 ...or whatever your sequence was created at...
In that way you artificially ( program does it as best it can ) change the fps to all the same ... and your export should then look good time wise... but the quality etc will maybe suffer a little bit...cause of all the hoops the program needs to jump through to try and make work out.
Anyway, wait until Bill gets this info you posted and he'll help you out.
As a comment, PrPro CS 5, and up, handle mixed FPS, better than other, earlier versions.
Before CS 5, I would always convert to a common FPS, either with a 3rd party program, AME (Adobe Media Encoder), or by doing one Sequence for each FPS, and then Exporting that to a common setting, and using those output files in another Project, or Sequence.
Europe, Middle East and Africa