Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Adobe Premiere Pro Help | Default keyboard shortcuts in CS6

Jul 11, 2012 10:59 AM

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 11, 2012 10:59 AM   in reply to Community Help

The instructions on how to print out the keyboard shortcuts for PP don't seem to make any sense. 

Am I missing something?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2012 11:12 AM   in reply to doublesharpe47

If you want to print the keyboard shortcuts, hold down ctrl+shift and go to Edit/Keyboard Shortcuts.

This will open the Keyboard Shortcuts window.

Press the button Clipboard.

Open a text document e.g. Word

Then ctrl+V for paste.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2012 11:23 AM   in reply to Ann Bens

Ann ­  I couldn¹t find the clipboard button, but your post helped me realize

I needed to hold down Cmd+Shift (Mac) when I click on Keyboard Shortcuts

under the Premiere Pro tab to make that button available.  Thanks for the

quick reply!

Robert

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2012 1:07 PM   in reply to doublesharpe47

BTW...

The Keyboard Shortcuts are also in the downloadable Premiere User file  ( pdf)

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2012 1:23 PM   in reply to doublesharpe47

doublesharpe47 wrote:

Ann ­  I couldn¹t find the clipboard button, but your post helped me realize

I needed to hold down Cmd+Shift (Mac) when I click on Keyboard Shortcuts

under the Premiere Pro tab to make that button available.  Thanks for the

quick reply!

Robert

It says exactly that in the Help docs, but perhaps this bullet list should be a numbered one to make the step order more clear.

Thanks Ann and Shooternz for the assistance.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2012 2:38 PM   in reply to Kevin Monahan

Numbered list would be better, but the 'problem' is in the first sentence. Its not very clear you have to hold ctrl+shift before selecting the KS under edit.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2012 3:48 PM   in reply to Ann Bens

Ann,

Not sure if you will edit the sentence or not ­ I¹m just incredibly

impressed with how quickly I received a reply that immediately helped me

with a solution. My move to PP and CS6 are getting sweeter all the time.

Thanks again!

Robert

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 12, 2012 8:54 AM   in reply to Ann Bens

To expand on one of Ann's answers: once you have the list on the clipboard, open up a blank spreadsheet, click the top left cell, go to Edit>"Paste Special" and choose Tab separated columns.  This will load the shortcut name and its keystroke(s) into separate columns for easier browsing.  Expand the width of Column A.

Kevin H.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 12, 2012 11:18 AM   in reply to doublesharpe47

Hi Robert.

I cannot edit the Help file only Kevin can do that.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 9, 2012 1:08 PM   in reply to Community Help

What is the one hit keystroke shortcut to spilce a clip. For example - to move the playhead and hit a key to make a cut (not cut the entire clip which is control x). I don't want to have to hit "C" for the razor tool and then find the exact point in order to cut. When I used Sony Vegas it was as simple as hitting the "S" key where ver the playhead was.. What is the comparative key in Premiere Pro 6? Pls help. Thank you.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 9, 2012 6:24 PM   in reply to ed.robles26

I think you are looking for Ctrl-k (Cmd-k on a Mac).

It will create an edit point on any clip under the CTI where the track is selected.

Edit: Of course, if you want it to be "s", change it to "s" in the keyboard shortcuts.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 10, 2012 7:50 AM   in reply to ed.robles26

Ed,

Not sure I understand your question, but if you want to insert a clip from your Source Window into your project, set the playhead in the project to the point where you want the clip to go, then move your cursor to the Source Window hold down the Cmd key and click-and-drag the cursor to the vertical red line under the play head in your project.  You can move up and down in the project along the red line to insert the clip on any track.  The inserted clip will elbow its way into the project video moving all the content to its right even more to the right by the length of the new clip.  You should experiment with this, it's pretty slick.

Kevin H.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 1, 2012 7:25 PM   in reply to Community Help

For my own use I copied and pasted all the commands listed on this page and created a pdf file, but its only for Mac OS--you other guys will have to make your own! You can find it at Scribd: http://www.scribd.com/doc/115175527/Adobe-Premiere-CS-6-keyboard-comma nds-for-Mac-OS

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 8, 2013 11:58 PM   in reply to Community Help

How do I move playhead to beginning and end of timeline? Must have missed that one if there is one.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 9, 2013 12:20 AM   in reply to Ken Nielsen

Did you look in the Keyboard Shortcuts list?

Tip : Use the seach box while looking in there.  "end"

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 9, 2013 2:39 PM   in reply to shooternz

I guess I should have said that I've already been looking, First, slowly scrolling and going through the entire keyboard shortcuts list, then, over the past three days, searching on google for 'end' 'timeline' 'beginning' 'playhead' and various other combinations of these and other keywords in searches not only on Google, but in the actual Help and User Manual for Premiere CS6. Not to be ended there, because I have been searching, now on my fourth day of intense searching also taking YouTube videos, and many of the excellent forums for Premiere online. I guess I should have mentioned the hundreds of dead ends that I've come across in this search, but all paths seem to be leading away rather than leading to the simple answer I am looking for. I did find references to moving the playhead, to clips, markers, last place, and many others but none for moving the playhead to the beginning or the end of the timeline. My searchs even brought results for the beginning and the end of time, but I hope I can find the answer before then.

Is there a keyboard shortcut for moving the playhead to the beginning or the end of the timeline?

TIA,

Ken

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 9, 2013 2:51 PM   in reply to Ken Nielsen

Home and End

...and they are in the Default Short cuts and the Help file.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 9, 2013 3:13 PM   in reply to shooternz

So there is my problem, btw, thank you for the answer. I have a nice 'hot rod' MacBook Pro but there is no 'home' or 'end' key on the keyboard, nor on the Apple wireless keyboard that I use. So now, I guess my question migrates to 'what keyboard shortcut on an Apple Wireless Keyboard, or on a MacBook Pro keyboard is equivalent to the 'home' and 'end' key that I need in order to navigate to beginning or end of the timeline. I can understand if no one here knows that, but if you can help me I would be so ever grateful.

OKAY! Got it! and this should have been include on the list of keyboard shortcuts where so many MacBook Pro's excel at video production:

Beginning of timeline (window and playhead must be active) - fn <-

End of timeline - fn ->

That's it!

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 9, 2013 5:22 PM   in reply to Ken Nielsen

I advise buying an extended keyboard and/or buying one of the colored covers with the Premiere key designations on them. While there are a few companies that make covers, I recommend KB Covers, which I use, as they are robust and won't fade: http://www.kbcovers.com/servlet/Categories?category=Premiere+Pro

Also, don't use a wireless keyboard. The convenience of wireless does not offset the inconvenience of suddenly having to replace batteries mid-edit, or when the computer has a problem and  the bluetooth won't respond...

On the extended (Mac) keyboard "Home" key between alphabetic keys and number pad keys will move to start of timeline, "End" will take you to the end. If you look up the keyboard shortcuts by going to the preferences, Keyboard Shortcuts, and typing in "start" you'll see the first command and a variant for the start of a clip within a timeline, which is SHIFT + HOME.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 9, 2013 5:50 PM   in reply to mjscox

Thanks to you both for expert advice and information. I am 'bowled over' by the beauty and simplicity of the work environment in Premiere, my first experience with it after using FCE for many years. I can't think of an app that has more need for ready command of keyboard shortcuts, with the possible exception of Flash. I'll look into KB covers now and see what they offer. I will also give due consideration to getting an extended keyboard, but I do have a long-time great working experience with the wireless keyboard. Let me weigh all of this out and go from there. The main thing is: Premeie is wonderful and the help on these forums is second to none.

Ken

PS, Okay, I ordered the Premiere Pro Apple Wireless keyboard cover because I love this keyboard so much. If it kicks me to the ditch, which it never has, I wlll then go back to the full size keyboard which I use to use for many years and understand its utility. Thanks Guys!

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 9, 2013 11:08 PM   in reply to Ken Nielsen

If you are serious about editing...get a real keyboard rather than a toy one.

A custom keyboard even.

The Custom keyboards dedicated to your NLE are efficient and productive. ( and professional)

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 9, 2013 11:23 PM   in reply to shooternz

I agree shooternz, As soon as the heat gets turned up on projects here, I'll need to purchase a dedicated set-up just for Premiere. I'll be back to get advice on particulars at that time. Thanks for getting me going with start-up advice. Much Appreciation for that.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 10, 2013 8:58 AM   in reply to Ken Nielsen

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 10, 2013 10:08 AM   in reply to Jim Simon

Wow, that's an impressive dedicated keyboard. The way to go. Thank You Jim.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 29, 2013 11:46 PM   in reply to Community Help

I have a Bella editing keyboard that I used with Premier Pro 4.0, now that I have 6.0, can I still use that keybiard??

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 30, 2013 8:22 AM   in reply to Beach_bear329

Any keyboard will work, buit the printed shorcuts will be different.  Even the one I posted is no longer entirely correct for Premiere Pro CC, so Bella has a new one for CC.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points