Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Premiere CS6 hangs when editing GoPro mp4

Jul 12, 2012 3:58 AM

Tags: #error #premiere #h264 #mp4 #cs6 #hangs #gopro #hangup #performace

Hi all,

I'm working on a project that has footage from gopro hd hero2 (mp4 1080p 25fps).

When I scrub or play the gopro footage after a short while premiere hangs in a wierd way. The CTL moves, I can do edits (trims cut and pastes) but I have no preview and the timecode doesn't move anymore. after that the program usually becomes "not responding".

I tried converting some of the footage to AVI with UT video codec (I wasn't aware of Cineform until now) these videos work better but still get stuck in the end.

is my system to weak to handle this kind of footage? (works fine with 1080p avchd files)

Maybe there's something else I can check?

Any help would be very appreciated, I'm getting tired of the frequent restarts.

System Info:

PC windows 7 64 bit

6 gig RAM (TOO WEAK?)

footage on Raid 0 array

Premiere pro CS6

Video Card: GeForce 7900 GS 256mb (TOO WEAK?)

CPU: i7

Thanks!

Shai Schcolnik

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 12, 2012 9:10 AM   in reply to Shai Schcolnik

When you first import a file and put it on the timeline, is there a red line over the video?

If yes, you do not have a correct project sequence

Please NOTE that the PPro CS6 screen may look a bit different

For CS5 and later, the easy way to insure that your video and your project match

See 2nd post for picture of NEW ITEM process http://forums.adobe.com/thread/872666

And, some previous gopro discussions

GoPro http://forums.adobe.com/message/4486784

-has link to Premiere Elements discussion inside

-says Cineform WITH GoPro, to convert to other formats

-http://gopro.com/software-app/cineform-studio/

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 24, 2012 8:56 AM   in reply to Shai Schcolnik

Yellow line is ok.

It means Premiere can play without rendering.

If your machine can't handle the Gopro,

go the the Cineform site and download Cineform Studio.

This program will convert your files to Cineform avi's.

They will edit much easier.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 24, 2012 9:20 AM   in reply to Shai Schcolnik

I would expect your system to handle this media just fine.  You should not need to convert.  Something else is wrong somewhere.

Is this a dedicated production rig, or do you have all sorts of other software installed?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 14, 2013 9:33 AM   in reply to Jim Simon

My editing machine is not newest but still works fine with high bitrates GH2 or GH3 footage. However I cant get smooth playback Gopro3 footage in Premiere cs6. Non plays smooth in timelane: raw nor cine conversion even with 1/4 quality. Sequence settings match the fottage, Mercury engine and yelow line. 1080p50 should works its not 2.7 or 4k. Quicktime and other players works fine. Gopro 1 was fine as well. Whats the issue?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 1, 2013 1:53 AM   in reply to Shai Schcolnik

HI Shai,

I am having exactly the same problem, and have posted over at the cow, but to no avail.

My machine just wont play gopro mp4 cleanly, no matter what the project settings are. It has a yellow line above on the timeline, but stutters and freezes after a second or two. Very annoying, as I have a x820 workstation with E5 processors, 64 gigs ram and a nvidia maximus  (quadro 6000 + tesla) setup. I was impressed by the clip on the nvidia website where the guy mixes 9 layers of different HD footage formats in CS6, and does real time color corrections on the fly. Sorry, but that will not work like that on my system, although it has more powerful specs than the workstation in the video.

Anyone has an idea how to tune the software, and/or the workstation so it runs like it was advertised?

Some one over at the cow suggested that it was the read/write speeds on my drives, but I copied a gopro clip over onto my boot drive (SSD) and it made no difference. I can also play AVC-Intra 100 clips without a problem, and they have a much higher bitrate than GoPro H.264 Mpeg 4 clips.

What is my problem here?

Thanks in advance

Simon

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 1, 2013 2:38 AM   in reply to Rough1

I think its the codec.

Convert to cineform avi's, much easier to handle.

http://gopro.com/3d-cineform-studio-software-download/

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 1, 2013 3:58 AM   in reply to Ann Bens

Hi Ann,

thanks for the reply. If my only option is to convert the footage, then so be it. I can just as easily do it with Media Encoder.

Thanks again

Simon

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 1, 2013 4:23 AM   in reply to Rough1

No you cannot convert to CF avi's (the are visual lossless) with the ME unless you have NeoScene or higher.

Just try it. I have been using it for several years now (even before GoPro) and still love it.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points