Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

1pt minimum printable?

Jul 13, 2012 9:01 AM

Tags: #printing_issues

I am putting together some business cards and a portion of them is done in Photoshop.

I am worried about blurry results and would like to be sure that the graphics will print well.

Is there any way to be sure that what I see on my screen as far as photoshop graphics will print as they appear?

More specifically, I see that some lines in the artwork appear to be less that 1pt wide, can someone tell me how a line which is less than one 1pt would turn out in print?

Any help is appreciated!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 13, 2012 5:27 PM   in reply to swhinck

Believe it or not, it depends on paper, screening technology, and press.  I've never created less than .5pt vector artwork.  In your file, it may depend on the color percentages.  Hard to say without seeing the artwork and your PS Color Settings.  In my opnion, if the lines appear to be .5pt or thicker; you should be OK.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 14, 2012 12:55 PM   in reply to swhinck

swhinck,

I regularly use .25pt for line art, sometimes even less.

But as John says, it depends, also on printer (type).

You may create a set of small paths of different shapes (rectangles, stars, ellipses, whatever) to represent different directions, and then make copies with different Stroke Weights.

You may use 1pt, .75pt, .5pt, .25pt, .2pt, .15pt, .1pt, .05pt, and compare in print, from Illustrator or from PDF, if possible with the printer for the job.

You can also see what it looks like when printed on a laser printer.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 19, 2012 3:38 PM   in reply to swhinck

swhinck wrote:

I am putting together some business cards and a portion of them is done in Photoshop.

I am worried about blurry results and would like to be sure that the graphics will print well.

Is there any way to be sure that what I see on my screen as far as photoshop graphics will print as they appear?

More specifically, I see that some lines in the artwork appear to be less that 1pt wide, can someone tell me how a line which is less than one 1pt would turn out in print?

Any help is appreciated!

If you keep the line as a vector shape and save the Photoshop file as a PDF with "photoshop compatible" checked, it should save all the vectorized information without rasterizing it. You'll get a much better print that way.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points